Auburn's Broome, Williams, Holloway named All-SEC

247sports.com

Auburns Broome Williams Holloway named AllSEC

Nathan King
8–10 minutes

• SALE! 50% Off AuburnUndercover Annual VIP Membership today!

• Image Title

Auburn's Broome, Williams, Holloway named All-SEC

Broome joins Jabari Smith, Walker Kessler and Samir Doughty as Auburn players to be picked first team All-SEC under Pearl

Bruce Pearl believes he has the best frontcourt in the SEC. And Monday’s all-conference announcements gave him some further merit.

Auburn center Johni Broome was named first team All-SEC on Monday afternoon by the league’s coaches, while fifth-year senior forward Jaylin Williams earned second team honors. Freshman point guard Aden Holloway was also named to the All-Freshman Team.

Broome, who was also named to the All-Defensive Team, joins Jabari Smith, Walker Kessler and Samir Doughty as Auburn players to be picked first team All-SEC under Pearl.

The former Morehead State transfer opted to return to the Tigers last offseason after a successful NBA draft process, and he’s gone on to improve in almost every category. He is the only player in the SEC in the top three in the league in field-goal percentage, rebounds and blocks.

Tennessee star Dalton Knecht won SEC Player of the Year, as expected, and it could be argued that Broome and Alabama guard Mark Sears were right behind Knect.

Broome has been one of the most effective big men not only in the conference, but in all of college basketball. Heading into the postseason, the senior is No. 5 nationally in player efficiency rating, or PER, among all players, and is No. 3 in college basketball in overall plus/minus (+13.5).

Broome leads Auburn at 16.3 points per game — with 11 double-doubles on the season.

The team’s second-leading scorer is Williams, who’s averaging career-highs in points (12.9), field-goal percentage (57.7 percent) and 3-point shooting (39.7 percent).

The program’s all-time winningest player has appeared in 137 games since his freshman campaign in 2019-20, and now he’ll get an All-SEC sendoff, as Williams is No. 2 nationally in overall offensive rating, and he’s the only player in the SEC shooting better than 55 percent from the floor and 35 percent from deep. 

“I’m not so sure there’s a better front line in the SEC,” Pearl said after Saturday’s 92-78 win over Georgia to conclude the regular season. “... I don’t usually heap more praise. Very proud of those guys.”

As the No. 4 seed in the league, Auburn begins the postseason Friday afternoon at the SEC tournament, where the Tigers will face the winner of No. 5 seed South Carolina vs. No. 13 Vanderbilt or No. 12 Arkansas.

2023-24 SEC MEN’S BASKETBALL AWARDS

All-SEC First Team

Mark Sears, Alabama

Johni Broome, Auburn

Zyon Pullin, Florida

Antonio Reeves, Kentucky

Tolu Smith III, Mississippi State

Dalton Knecht, Tennessee

Zakai Zeigler, Tennessee

Wade Taylor IV, Texas A&M

All-SEC Second Team

Jaylin Williams, Auburn

Walter Clayton Jr., Florida

Rob Dillingham, Kentucky

Reed Sheppard, Kentucky

Matthew Murrell, Ole Miss

Josh Hubbard, Mississippi State

Ta’Lon Cooper, South Carolina

Meechie Johnson, South Carolina

Jonas Aidoo, Tennessee

SEC All-Defensive Team

Johni Broome, Auburn

Cameron Matthews, Mississippi State

Jonas Aidoo, Tennessee

Zakai Zeigler, Tennessee

Andersson Garcia, Texas A&M 

SEC All-Freshman Team

Aden Holloway, Auburn

Alex Condon, Florida

Silas Demary Jr., Georgia

Rob Dillingham, Kentucky

Reed Sheppard, Kentucky

D.J. Wagner, Kentucky

Josh Hubbard, Mississippi State

Collin Murray-Boyles, South Carolina

Coach of the Year: Lamont Paris, South Carolina

Player of the Year: Dalton Knecht, Tennessee

Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Sean East II, Missouri

Freshman of the Year: Reed Sheppard, Kentucky

Sixth-Man of the Year: Rob Dillingham, Kentucky

Defensive Player of the Year: Zakai Zeigler, Tennessee

Spring football special: 50% off Auburn Undercover subscription

Gear up for an exciting month of Auburn hoops

March is here, and that means there's tons of Auburn sports on display, whether it's the postseason, the beginning of the season, or spring practice.

With a big month on deck for Bruce Pearl's Tigers — not to mention the return of spring football at Auburn, along with the conclusion of the recruiting dead period — Auburn Undercover is now offering 50 percent off an annual subscription. Gear up for an exciting month on the hardwood and the practice field by locking in with our VIP content and insight at Auburn Undercover and on the Bodda Getta message board.

All deserved; I think Jaylin could’ve contended for that first team if he continued his torrid streak that started in late ‘23, but oh well. 

It really is remarkable how good our defense is with how many guys I’d consider as not amazing defenders, to be nice. With Broome being the heart of that, I was hoping he’d have a chance for that award, but we do have one of the better defensive bench centers that slot in right behind him. I don’t know if they use on/off court metrics, but I don’t think those would help Broome’s argument very much (with how good they are) 

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Don’t see how Holloway fits in here

Because he is a freshman that played well.  He doesn’t turn the ball over, shoots well at times and has assists.  

You don’t understand how basketball works, do you?

21 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

Because he is a freshman that played well.  He doesn’t turn the ball over, shoots well at times and has assists.  

You don’t understand how basketball works, do you?

Not sure u would say he played well. If we scanned multiple SEC game threads most comments wouldn’t say he didn’t played very well. The point guard position is probably the most glaring issue on the team if we being honest 

7 minutes ago, e808 said:

Not sure u would say he played well. If we scanned multiple SEC game threads most comments wouldn’t say he didn’t played very well. The point guard position is probably the most glaring issue on the team if we being honest 

That was from myopic fans who don’t know what the **** they are talking about. 

3 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Don’t see how Holloway fits in here

Well, it could be, since it is Freshman All SEC, his play during the season as a whole was better than other freshman point guards

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Well, it could be, since it is Freshman All SEC, his play during the season as a whole was better than other freshman point guards

You are much nicer than I am explaining it to the idi…less informed. 

1 hour ago, e808 said:

I sometimes read the game thread from beginning to end when I couldn't watch live and have yet to see the score, just to kinda get a feel for how the game unfolded. Inevitably based on the game thread I assume we lost by 20 only to eventually see the final score and find out we won by 20. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ertrader said:

I sometimes read the game thread from beginning to end when I couldn't watch live and have yet to see the score, just to kinda get a feel for how the game unfolded. Inevitably based on the game thread I assume we lost by 20 only to eventually see the final score and find out we won by 20. 

Ok bad example. Respectfully to date Aden hasn’t played no where close to Hubbard  or Dillingham in SEC play so him being  on the all freshman team is surprising. As I stated earlier point guard is the biggest issue with the team. Auburn can overcome that long as the turnovers are down.  Bottom line he made the team so good for him

• Like 2