Why Christians — and Republicans — Should Reconsider the Premise that ‘Life Begins at Conception’

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It’s not settled Christian theology, and it’s outliving its political utility.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/03/21/life-conception-christian-theology-00147804

I was raised Episcopalian. They supported roe v Wade.  
Same with Presbyterians. Other Protestants  have varying conditional positions on it. It’s far from settled doctrine. It primarily baptists/evangelicals  and Catholics that have the most conception-based positions on it.

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It’s not settled Christian theology, and it’s outliving its political utility.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/03/21/life-conception-christian-theology-00147804

It is a stretch  to say the Conservative Protestants  persecuted the Catholics. I guess this writer  forgot about the Huguenots, Waldenses,  and  Central American natives who were violently  abused by the Catholic faith.

16 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

It primarily baptists/evangelicals  and Catholics that have the most conception-based positions on it.

And of those, like the article kind of goes into, only Catholicism really has a consistent history of it's anti-abortion/contraception positions. 

Evangelicals took up the anti-abortion label first out of political convenience and utility several decades ago, and then later molded it to fit in with their religious doctrines that they now claims as paramount. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

It is a stretch  to say the Conservative Protestants  persecuted the Catholics. I guess this writer  forgot about the Huguenots, Waldenses,  and  Central American natives who were violently  abused by the Catholic faith.

Catholics being guilty of persecuting religious minorities doesn't mean protestants never persecuted Catholics in return...especially when Protestantism became a more dominate religious concept around the country.  

The largely protestant KKK of the early 1900's hated Catholicism almost as much as they did minorities. 

• Like 1

hell they had a civil war over religion in england and let me say it was NOT civil. they used it for an excuse to kill folks on both sides. i am talking horrible stuff.