Baseball vs. Texas A&M

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

There is no Sunday game. We started Thursday evening and our SEC record is 1-8. No it is not “panic button” time. Us and other teams have had similar starts and turned things around.

Rest assured our AD knows baseball. Take much more than close losses to 3 legit top ten teams for CBT to be on the “hot seat”.

I certainly don’t think the losses to Vanderbilt were close. 
Butch shouldn’t be, nor is he on the hot seat yet, but you must admit the beginning of the SEC season hasn’t been a success. Butch is a great guy, recruits well and is a good representative of Auburn University.

However, how much longer will Auburn fans and alumni overlook that the baseball team is stuck in the middle or in the lower end of the SEC? Or that Butch hasn’t won or even got close to any SEC championships during his tenure?

Let’s see how the rest of the season goes and the SEC tournament plays out.

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

However, how much longer will Auburn fans and alumni overlook that the baseball team is stuck in the middle or in the lower end of the SEC? Or that Butch hasn’t won or even got close to any SEC championships during his tenure?

Not sure or maybe you do, but just like throwing stuff out there that really makes no sense.    Being “middle of the SEC “ puts you in the top 15 in country.    In the last ten years , 6 SEC teams have been National Champions with several others making the championship finals.   
The goal is get to Omaha.   Butch has done that more than anyone.   SEC championship are great but it might be harder to win that, than the National Championship.   

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not sure or maybe you do, but just like throwing stuff out there that really makes no sense.    Being “middle of the SEC “ puts you in the top 15 in country.    In the last ten years , 6 SEC teams have been National Champions with several others making the championship finals.   
The goal is get to Omaha.   Butch has done that more than anyone.   SEC championship are great but it might be harder to win that, than the National Championship.   

I agree with your approach and support of Butch. I’m a big fan of his also. But I also feel @PUB78 point too. Yes, we’ve been to Omaha twice. Nothing to sneeze at. But for the 2000s we’re last in the SEC W in NCAA tournament appearances. It’s similar to football. Yes we’re going to bowls and occasionally upsetting Bama or LSU. But overall  still middle to bottom of the SEC. I think AU fans are getting worn down on the ‘brutal schedule’ defense and ready to be the dreaded opponent for the other team. It doesn’t help that our BB team finally rose to contender status only to see Bama recently move ahead of us in that sport too. Just my two cents. 

Back to baseball, I feel like this team can turn things around. The bats are there and I believe the arms are there but we have to get the right rotation. From your perspective, who should be our top starting pitchers going forward? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PUB78 said:

I certainly don’t think the losses to Vanderbilt were close. 
Butch shouldn’t be, nor is he on the hot seat yet, but you must admit the beginning of the SEC season hasn’t been a success. Butch is a great guy, recruits well and is a good representative of Auburn University.

Let’s see how the rest of the season goes and the SEC tournament plays out.

See @aubaseball response. “Fire the Coach” is an easy one for fans. Not always the most informed are wisest thought. 

• Like 2

Next two SEC series are at home (Tennessee, Kentucky), and we really need to go 4-2 in those six games to give us a real chance at having a conference record that would earn a postseason spot.  13-17 is about the worst record I can remember getting an at-large bid, which would require a 12-9 finish from here. We've played three of the better teams in a very good conference already, so maybe we can start to dig out of our hole next weekend.

• Like 3

We also have to remember the scholarship limitations that are unique to Alabama and Auburn.   And remember we are recruiting against teams with far superior facilities.   The current upgrades are very nice, but they are years too late.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think part of the issue is the change in pitching coaches, which sucks because the offense is pretty good this year.

We had similar issues when we hired Hudson. He was hired for the 2020 season but it was cancelled so his first full season in 2021, we were awful. We had a very similar start to the SEC season as we have this year and finished that season with a 10-20 conference record.

But then 2022 we had the run to the World Series so I think everybody mostly forgot about how bad 2021 was. 

We have been competitive in the last two series but probably just going to have a down year this year.  

I’m ready for a pitching rotation of McBride, Myers, and Tilly(I love the way he attacks the zone and has some swing and miss stuff). We have to find a rotation where we can count on 5 or 6 innings from a starter vs 3 or 4. Makes all the difference in the world. The bats are mostly there. Standfield is hitting again and Peirce is gong to break through. This team can still make a run. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LPTiger said:

We also have to remember the scholarship limitations that are unique to Alabama and Auburn.   And remember we are recruiting against teams with far superior facilities.   The current upgrades are very nice, but they are years too late.   

Hasn't NIL evened out the scholarship limitations?

On 3/31/2024 at 10:25 AM, aubaseball said:

Makes no sense? You must have a hard time comprehending . I knew when I  even mentioned the lack of competitiveness  by our Baseball team and  Butch's below average  record in SEC play, that I would get some pushback.

So be it, but would you accept this type of record from Bruce or  Hugh? I don't think so.

51 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m ready for a pitching rotation of McBride, Myers, and Tilly(I love the way he attacks the zone and has some swing and miss stuff). We have to find a rotation where we can count on 5 or 6 innings from a starter vs 3 or 4. Makes all the difference in the world. The bats are mostly there. Standfield is hitting again and Peirce is gong to break through. This team can still make a run. 

Spent a great deal of time after Easter lunch yesterday with one of my sons and his baseball savvy group trying to solve our problems. Came to a conclusion similar to yours. This pitching stuff is a real head scratcher. Seems no one has really “developed”. Been a disappointing Auburn athletics year but going to enjoy the rest of it regardless. Series this weekend is huge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Makes no sense? You must have a hard time comprehending . I knew when I  even mentioned the lack of competitiveness  by our Baseball team and  Butch's below average  record in SEC play, that I would get some pushback.

So be it, but would you accept this type of record from Bruce or  Hugh? I don't think so.

Understand your points and per your other question the NIL should have a leveling effect. In the past no question Bammer and Auburn were “behind the eight ball”. Is the NIL support enough? Was this just a bad year and or NIL money will take a while to work? Don’t know.

Do know that Butch loves Auburn and is a great “fit”. Do know that our AD is a baseball man and will do what is necessary to compete. If you listen to the radio broadcast he is in the booth with Andy and Paul or Brad every chance he gets. The man knows SEC baseball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Understand your points and per your other question the NIL should have a leveling effect. In the past no question Bammer and Auburn were “behind the eight ball”. Is the NIL support enough? Was this just a bad year and or NIL money will take a while to work? Don’t know.

Do know that Butch loves Auburn and is a great “fit”. Do know that our AD is a baseball man and will do what is necessary to compete. If you listen to the radio broadcast he is in the booth with Andy and Paul or Brad every chance he gets. The man knows SEC baseball.

I love Butch, met him only twice, but he did give my family and me a personal tour of the baseball facilities his first  as HC. As I said ealier, he is the 2nd most beloved coach at Auburn behind BP. He is  a great fit and I know he truly loves Auburn. I just wish he could be more competitive in the SEC.

4 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Basketball, would be the only sport comparable in terms of a real championship tournament.   You are comparing completely different sports and really makes no sense.   Football is only twelve games and I can say  that if Hugh won 10 games a year he would probably never get fired without ever winning the SEC.  

4 hours ago, PUB78 said:

I love Butch, met him only twice, but he did give my family and me a personal tour of the baseball facilities his first  as HC. As I said ealier, he is the 2nd most beloved coach at Auburn behind BP. He is  a great fit and I know he truly loves Auburn. I just wish he could be more competitive in the SEC.

We will see. Finally getting stadium updates and NIL. 

I have followed Auburn baseball for 40 years. More so than football. Could always tell you the starting line up from my head when I could not remember who our left guard is in football. We have been through a carousel of mis fit coaches and certainly do not need it again.

Will say I think Pawlawski was a good coach. He was caught in the time when the bats were toned down and not his style of baseball.

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Will say I think Pawlawski was a good coach.

I too have followed AU baseball a long time. Just shows how differences of opinion can happen. I thought Pawlowski was a horrible coach. I think he was the worst game-day coach we've ever had.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

I too have followed AU baseball a long time. Just shows how differences of opinion can happen. I thought Pawlowski was a horrible coach. I think he was the worst game-day coach we've ever had.

Know he came in with a good resume and seemed to be a good person. Think the transition was bad timing for his style of baseball. 
Through all we may have been as well off keeping Renfroe. Couldn’t stand his small ball and “take” good pitches mentality though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Know he came in with a good resume and seemed to be a good person. Think the transition was bad timing for his style of baseball. 
Through all we may have been as well off keeping Renfroe. Couldn’t stand his small ball and “take” good pitches mentality though.

Renfroe was my position coach....   We needed to give him a chance.   But, we also needed to move him along.  Pawlawski was a bad fit.   My son went to a camp there.   Pawlawski was nowhere to be seen.

11 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

My son went to a camp there.   Pawlawski was nowhere to be seen.

Not good. My son went went to camp right around the time Hal retired. Also went Skips at LSU. Amazing the difference in seeing how LSU rolled the “red carpet out” for a bunch of 12 yo. Recruiting very young.

Steve seemed to be a great person. 

On 4/1/2024 at 10:27 AM, PUB78 said:

Hasn't NIL evened out the scholarship limitations?

It would if our NIL equaled everybody else's NIL plus their additional scholarships.

• Thanks 1