Achor Achor Thread

I figured I would start a thread on him since he is visiting this week. What is everyone’s thoughts about him? I’ve said many times he would be a HUGE pickup! I know he has other top teams as well after him. Only way we get him is if we spend money. Don’t know if what else Pearl can sell him, unless he is moving Broome to the 4 and Achor starts for us at the 5.

• Like 2

I meant to edit my earlier post. Got confused with my positions. I believe Achor Achor would take Chaney’s spot and Broome would be the 5. Although I could see them switch sometimes. That would be ideal. And then have Chaney and Cardwell off the bench, they would be formidable backups to Broome and Achor Achor.

1 hour ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I meant to edit my earlier post. Got confused with my positions. I believe Achor Achor would take Chaney’s spot and Broome would be the 5. Although I could see them switch sometimes. That would be ideal. And then have Chaney and Cardwell off the bench, they would be formidable backups to Broome and Achor Achor.

We must sign him! I love BP as a coach but this seniority or loyalty to players on the roster by bringing in back ups only is about to get us left behind. We need firepower at the PF spot and we need another good point guard. The SEC will be loaded next season. Shame on Auburn for not giving BP all the resources he needs to bring home a NC and sign the best players. Our arch is lightning the recruiting trail up while we are settling and trying to do more with less. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

We must sign him! I love BP as a coach but this seniority or loyalty to players on the roster by bringing in back ups only is about to get us left behind. We need firepower at the PF spot and we need another good point guard. The SEC will be loaded next season. Shame on Auburn for not giving BP all the resources he needs to bring home a NC and sign the best players. Our arch is lightning the recruiting trail up while we are settling and trying to do more with less. 

The good news is that Pearl is going after known and top quality portal players, and these guys aren’t bench players. Jordan Ivy-Curry from UTSA is supposedly coming for a visit as well. Those guys would be immediate starters or Ivy-Curry would at least get significant playing time.

As for UAT, yea, they got a great defensive player today, but that’s literally all he does. No offense. So they’re basically trading offense for defense. And again, the other portal players they have are rated around what Pegues is, so it’s a wash there as well. I really think Auburn fans are over inflating UAT’s roster.

1 hour ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Point guards are needed.

1 minute ago, Auburn93 said:

Point guards are needed.

Look at my other thread I started about Jordan Ivy-Curry from UTSA. He’s a big guard would possibly vie for a starting position. He’s also a great fit for Pearl’s offense. He’s supposed to possibly be visiting this week.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

The good news is that Pearl is going after known and top quality portal players, and these guys aren’t bench players. Jordan Ivy-Curry from UTSA is supposedly coming for a visit as well. Those guys would be immediate starters or Ivy-Curry would at least get significant playing time.

As for UAT, yea, they got a great defensive player today, but that’s literally all he does. No offense. So they’re basically trading offense for defense. And again, the other portal players they have are rated around what Pegues is, so it’s a wash there as well. I really think Auburn fans are over inflating UAT’s roster.

I feel like Pearl is going after players that he's hoping doesn't ask for much NIL money. His hands are tied due to NIL funds and that's a shame. He has taken Auburn basketball to new heights and should be given ALL resources needed to recruit at the highest level. I hate to keep saying it, but I can see him leaving Auburn for Indiana if that job opens and he's offered. I would think they will give him everything he needs when it comes to NIL and resources becausethey are desperate to win. I hope I am wrong. Auburn needs to step it up. Football has been terrible the last 5 seasons, but they receive the most NIL funds. What about basketball?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

No new input on the players themselves but appreciate the effort in making these threads bro 

No worries! I wish I had insider information but I don’t have that type of clout, 🤣. Most of my information comes from beat writers online and other free Auburn message boards. I did read that UK was thought to be the leader for Achor Achor but again, from all of the information I have gathered, I don’t really think anyone knows where he will be going. As for Ivy-Curry, Kansas apparently feels really good about him, which makes no sense since they already have like 5 guards. But yea, I figured I would make a thread for these two players since they both apparently will visit Auburn.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tiger720 said:

I feel like Pearl is going after players that he's hoping doesn't ask for much NIL money. His hands are tied due to NIL funds and that's a shame. He has taken Auburn basketball to new heights and should be given ALL resources needed to recruit at the highest level. I hate to keep saying it, but I can see him leaving Auburn for Indiana if that job opens and he's offered. I would think they will give him everything he needs when it comes to NIL and resources becausethey are desperate to win. I hope I am wrong. Auburn needs to step it up. Football has been terrible the last 5 seasons, but they receive the most NIL funds. What about basketball?

Yea, I understand your concerns and I’m right there with you about the lack of NIL for basketball. Our rivals have surpassed us for the most part in talent over the past 3-4 years. Pearl literally has to find obscure or not really well known players to come to Auburn since apparently we can only afford one big time portal player and a big time high school player. 

One thing I do disagree with, and maybe it’s just my naivety, but I don’t really think Pearl will leave Auburn. He probably has 5-6 years left of coaching and I don’t see him leaving to rebuild another school. I also wouldn’t be shocked if he did since NIL has made it much harder for him to recruit compared to schools who are investing in their basketball programs. 

Highlights for Achor Achor. He reminds me of a taller and more aggressive Jaylin Williams. He loves contact. I always thought Jaylin was very hesitant to take over games or become the guy when Auburn was struggling offensively many times. Actor Achor is the complete opposite. He has a lot of confidence and can take control of the game. He would make Auburn a top 5 team immediately if he comes here.

If AU is serious about wanting to be a top team you pony up the money to get him. If not well….

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fishepa said:

If AU is serious about wanting to be a top team you pony up the money to get him. If not well….

Oh I 1000% agree with you on this. Auburn had to see UAT get another highly ranked portal guy and question how much are we committed to winning. If we pony up and get Achor Achor, and this is not me saying this just because I’m an Auburn basketball fan, but Auburn will be a preseason top 5 team going into next year. That’s how good he can make us. Just think if Jaylin Williams was taller, more aggressive and had that meanness streak consistently in him, that’s Achor Achor in a nutshell. If I’m Pearl, I’d tell him he would start for us day one and then also remind him he will be playing alongside an All American in Broome. I would tell him they could be the next Jabari Smith-Kessler tandem and dominate.

1 hour ago, Tiger720 said:

I feel like Pearl is going after players that he's hoping doesn't ask for much NIL money. His hands are tied due to NIL funds and that's a shame.

Most of the NIL is going top FB, but CBP has some money coming in. The return of Broome is evidence of that.

That said, CBP does like to pull in guys from lower divisions or who have not been given a lot of respect, because he thinks they are more "hungry" and want to prove their cred.

Fact is, he cannot throw the kind of NIL money at players the way Kansas, UNC, Duke, UK, Texas and now Arky can do. IMO, he is doing the best he can with what he's got.

Ans WDE - He's done an awesome job here at Auburn!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, AURex said:

Most of the NIL is going top FB, but CBP has some money coming in. The return of Broome is evidence of that.

That said, CBP does like to pull in guys from lower divisions or who have not been given a lot of respect, because he thinks they are more "hungry" and want to prove their cred.

Fact is, he cannot throw the kind of NIL money at players the way Kansas, UNC, Duke, UK, Texas and now Arky can do. IMO, he is doing the best he can with what he's got.

Ans WDE - He's done an awesome job here at Auburn!

At this point, I'm starting to feel like we should start moving more of the NIL we have towards basketball. I think football is going to be a losing cause for a lot of teams, if they're expecting to compete for championships, where as in basketball I think that NIL money can go a lot farther. 

Edited by aucom96
  • Like 2

as football is the major sport, which college athletics seems to be shaped upon based on revenue, that is where the resources will be mostly allocated to. It has never just been about competing for championships.  Clemson and FSU are big dogs in the ACC and they are trying to get out of there. Same reason why it wasn’t good enough for Texas and OU to be the pillar of the big 12.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DAG said:

as football is the major sport, which college athletics seems to be shaped upon based on revenue, that is where the resources will be mostly allocated to. It has never just been about competing for championships. 

True, but now that the game is openly about money only and players can leave just about whenever they want, the amount of investment needed to build even a competitive team in the major conferences is going to be a continually escalating number... and that kind of investment will require results. It's hard to see average record teams getting off the ground in this new game. And as the above average pool shrinks, basketball may quickly catch up to football in interest at the college level. 

Edited by aucom96
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

When is he visiting?

Haven’t read anywhere if there’s been a set date, just that he’s expected to visit sometime this week.

• Thanks 1