Biden - is it panic time?

I think there’s some denial going on. Trump is Trump and maga is maga - but what’s happening/trending in the polls is concerning and is much bigger than that. IMO trump isn’t winning ground , Biden is losing it - from swing states (ie losing ga now by 10 pts) to minorities. The Dems are repeating the same mistakes of 2016 -  same tired narrative - trumps nuts, deplorables, democracy’s at risk ect.  It’s not 2020. Trump has been gone 4 years and for some - distance has made the heart grow fonder.

Biden  is a weak candidate due to age ect. But it’s more than that . The other problem is his policies - from the border to social issues.  Maybe you can explain trumps first 25% of the electorate as racist, cultish, unhinged, conspiracy personalities, ect. They’re an easy target. But not the next +25%.  They’re not all nuts too.  He’s losing ground in almost every demographic. Blacks, Hispanics, young voters.

My 2 cents - it’s about math and if the goal is to win, then the dems are at significant risk.  Sure Trump is a polling disliked metrics dumpster fire.   A comical candidate. And yet…  bottom line - the Dems have a fading by the day candidate that’s gone too far left on core voter issues. His brand simply sucks. In a race to the bottom - he’s pulling ahead.

Its getting close to panic time to consider a more viable and moderate candidate at the convention.  Should Biden be pushed hard to withdraw?

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4661153-joe-biden-donald-trump-polls-wisconsin-pennsylvania-nevada-arizona-georgia-michigan/amp/

• Like 1

We are screwed no matter who wins. 

no, we're locked in. 

It's do or die time.

We had a moderate Dem who primaried Joe Biden and got crushed. No Labels took a strong look at running and decided a moderate candidate didn't have a path to the white House in this election. For the most part there isn't a prominent, proven moderate candidate out there who is actually popular. 

The idea that some magic, mythical Super Moderate political candidate that will pull the country together and have the nation singing kumbaya by a campfire holding hands is a cool idea, but I don't see that it's based in reality. 

I don't agree that Biden's problem is that hes "too far left" on issues. He's behind because the middle and lower classes are hurting because of inflation, and higher prices. It doesn't matter that inflation is a world wide problem, or that COVID caused it, or that Biden has stopped from getting worse, or that Biden can't force private corporations who are reaping historically high profits to decrease prices back to more normal. People are hurting now and want to punish the politician that's been in power when the problem started.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

The idea that some magic, mythical Super Moderate political candidate that will pull the country together and have the nation singing kumbaya by a campfire holding hands is a cool idea, but I don't see that it's based in reality. 

I can see Homer and Salty now. Just thinking about it gets me a little misty eyed

image.gif.9b6cc9de7d81453703bd9d5f95e43d1f.gif

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I think there’s some denial going on. Trump is Trump and maga is maga - but what’s happening/trending in the polls is concerning and is much bigger than that. IMO trump isn’t winning ground , Biden is losing it - from swing states (ie losing ga now by 10 pts) to minorities. The Dems are repeating the same mistakes of 2016 -  same tired narrative - trumps nuts, deplorables, democracy’s at risk ect.  It’s not 2020. Trump has been gone 4 years and for some - distance has made the heart grow fonder.

Biden  is a weak candidate due to age ect. But it’s more than that . The other problem is his policies - from the border to social issues.  Maybe you can explain trumps first 25% of the electorate as racist, cultish, unhinged, conspiracy personalities, ect. They’re an easy target. But not the next +25%.  They’re not all nuts too.  He’s losing ground in almost every demographic. Blacks, Hispanics, young voters.

My 2 cents - it’s about math and if the goal is to win, then the dems are at significant risk.  Sure Trump is a polling disliked metrics dumpster fire.   A comical candidate. And yet…  bottom line - the Dems have a fading by the day candidate that’s gone too far left on core voter issues. His brand simply sucks. In a race to the bottom - he’s pulling ahead.

Its getting close to panic time to consider a more viable and moderate candidate at the convention.  Should Biden be pushed hard to withdraw?

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4661153-joe-biden-donald-trump-polls-wisconsin-pennsylvania-nevada-arizona-georgia-michigan/amp/

I agree.  He was also a weak candidate last election.  His saving grace was simply that he was viewed as more acceptable to never Trump Republicans and Independents than most of the other Democrats in the race.  He then pandered to the black caucus and picked Kamala Harris as his VP in hopes of churning turnout in minority districts in states like Georgia and Michigan.  One view is that it worked and the other is that it didn't matter who was on the ticket, they would have beaten Trump in a close race. 

Views on all of them are driven by the media people consume more than any other single factor.  The only thing the American public seems to have time for is fighting each other proving to the rest of the world just how entitled we have become.

11 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I can see Homer and Salty now. Just thinking about it gets me a little misty eyed

image.gif.9b6cc9de7d81453703bd9d5f95e43d1f.gif

The only things that have ever brought us together have been wars and large scale disasters. Sad, but true.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

The only things that have ever brought us together have been wars and large scale disasters. Sad, but true.

I would limit that to large scale disasters.  9-11 did it for maybe a year and 10-7 less than 4 months.  Ukraine meh.  We are divided in our culture and have no gratitude for America.  We have weakened our national pride to the point where the younger generation believes we were colonizers and want to start over.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

They’re not all nuts too.

Thank you Nat’l. Have told Brother Homer and company this for years. 

They are unbelievably closed minded. The thinking is warped by ideology and belief that they can create a Utopian society. 

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

pull the country together and have the nation singing kumbaya by a campfire holding hands is a cool idea,

One of Biden’s promises was “unite”. 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thank you Nat’l. Have told Brother Homer and company this for years. 

They are unbelievably closed minded. The thinking is warped by ideology and belief that they can create a Utopian society. 

I disagree with anyone who votes for trump. Especially during the primaries which had other non sociopathic  options.  Trump winning the primaries was pretty much unforgivable.

But I do understand the deep concerns about Biden and why it’s a difficult choice for some. Which is why imo the Dems have some thinking to do before the convention.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

One of Biden’s promises was “unite”. 

When was the last time you saw a President say "I'm gonna divide this mf'er?"

• Haha 4

Dems will dump Biden after the convention. 

8 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I would limit that to large scale disasters.  9-11 did it for maybe a year and 10-7 less than 4 months.  Ukraine meh.  We are divided in our culture and have no gratitude for America.  We have weakened our national pride to the point where the younger generation believes we were colonizers and want to start over.

Meh? I will always struggle why you see the Israeli attack more horrific than the full scale slaughter  of Ukraine.  Truly hurts my head.

5 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Meh? I will always struggle why you see the Israeli attack more horrific than the full scale slaughter  of Ukraine.  Truly hurts my head.

Where are all the Ukrainian Americans that have a direct tie to their homeland?  Americans have a much bigger tie to Israel then they have to Ukraine.  I was talking pride in country and the conflict in Ukraine, as horrible as it is, does not stir the national pride as the other two.

15 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

no, we're locked in. 

It's do or die time.

We had a moderate Dem who primaried Joe Biden and got crushed. No Labels took a strong look at running and decided a moderate candidate didn't have a path to the white House in this election. For the most part there isn't a prominent, proven moderate candidate out there who is actually popular. 

I don't agree that Biden's problem is that hes "too far left" on issues. He's behind because the middle and lower classes are hurting because of inflation, and higher prices. It doesn't matter that inflation is a world wide problem, or that COVID caused it, or that Biden has stopped from getting worse, or that Biden can't force private corporations who are reaping historically high profits to decrease prices back to more normal. People are hurting now and want to punish the politician that's been in power when the problem started.  

There were plenty of better candidates. The Dem Leadership locked in on Biden. Just like they locked in on HRC. 

11 hours ago, Leftfield said:

When was the last time you saw a President say "I'm gonna divide this mf'er?"

The last Trump rally?

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The last Trump rally?

Touche.

14 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

But I do understand the deep concerns about Biden and why it’s a difficult choice for some

Tex would call you a “Maga sympathizer”

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

The last Trump rally?

I was thinking the same. Trump is pretty clear about not caring for people like you. Doubt he would ever harm you though.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Tex would call you a “Maga sympathizer”

It’s worse than that. Im a conservative Never Trumper… A spurned by all pariah.  If you all on this forum dump me, I’m totally screwed.

image.gif.2422a5764fd2648a0a68779a7ed0390e.gif

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

It’s worse than that. Im a conservative Never Trumper… A spurned by all pariah.  If you all on this forum dump me, I’m totally screwed.

image.gif.2422a5764fd2648a0a68779a7ed0390e.gif

FWIW, I don't "spurn" never Trumper conservatives.  Just the opposite - I respect them.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Biden's biggest ace in the hole right now is that Donald Trump is going to be his opponent. 

If Republicans had chosen anyone other than Trump as their nominee Biden's goose may be cooked already, but against Trump it'll be a close race no matter how unpopular Biden is. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

“Biden’s stubbornly poor polling and the stakes of the election “are creating the freakout,”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/robert-niro-warns-second-trump-162038257.html

If Trump returns to the White House, you can kiss these freedoms goodbye that we all take for granted.

And elections, forget about it.

That's over.

That's done if he gets in, I can tell you right now, he will never leave, he will never leave.

You know that he will never leave.

12 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Biden's biggest ace in the hole right now is that Donald Trump is going to be his opponent. 

If Republicans had chosen anyone other than Trump as their nominee Biden's goose may be cooked already, but against Trump it'll be a close race no matter how unpopular Biden is. 

You think properly and sensibly at times Coffee