Looking back on Saturday

Aubie7

Well. was it what you expected? Didn't we all know that Auburn should have won? However, you have to be careful. Look at Vandy! Our QB looked somewhat better, although he did not throw as much. I thought that at least one of the back-up QB's should have been in the game some.

The running back situation has not cleared up, nor improved much. By listening to the MSU players, you might have thought they actually won the game. One back did shine, IMHO, more than the others.

Offensive line: some good, some bad. The blitz is still giving Auburn problems.

Kicking game: Without a GREAT rundown, the best punt would have bounced into the endzone. I still like the corner kicks. Mike and Mike were discussing the topic this morning on ESPN radio. Golic mentioned how it is rare to kick to the corners any more. The kick-offs are ... well, not good at this point.

Tight Ends: What a good day for them! Now, we probably won't see them again this year!!

Overall: C+ MSU is not Georgia Tech. Auburn still has a lot to improve on if they are to beat the likes of :usc: Arkansas, and others.

AUBURN won an SEC game by TWENTY EIGHT POINTS and the defense pitched a SHUTOUT. :cheer:

WAR EAGLE! :au:

There, now I feel much better. :P

I don't even know why I read your depressing ass posts... :thumbsdown:

180598[/snapback]

Agreed!

Bliss dropped a kick within the 5 yard line and kicked another one 61 yards in the air.

AUBURN won an SEC game by TWENTY EIGHT POINTS and the defense pitched a SHUTOUT. :cheer:

180621[/snapback]

Really the way 7 is talking you would think we were up only 9-7 at half to middle tenn. :poke:

180621[/snapback]

Really the way 7 is talking you would think we were up only 9-7 at half to middle tenn. :poke:

180652[/snapback]

Or down by 4... ONLY after the most unbelievable catch I have ever seen...to the third best team in MISSISSIPPI!!!!

180621[/snapback]

Really... How can you grade the team with a C after pitching a shutout and winning 28-0. And saying the tight ends wont be seen after this game? We've got some work to do with you. :rolleyes:

Well. was it what you expected? Didn't we all know that Auburn should have won? However, you have to be careful. Look at Vandy! Our QB looked somewhat better, although he did not throw as much. I thought that at least one of the back-up QB's should have been in the game some.

Well, I'd still rather give Cox all the game time he can get before tougher opponents come up.

The running back situation has not cleared up, nor improved much. By listening to the MSU players, you might have thought they actually won the game. One back did shine, IMHO, more than the others.

Actually, I thought it was much improved. We purposely ran the ball even when MSU had 9 man fronts just to give the guys practice in running against a defense totally geared to stop it. We could have been more cute and play action passed I guess to burn them but I don't think that was the point.

Offensive line: some good, some bad. The blitz is still giving Auburn problems.

Agreed.

Kicking game: Without a GREAT rundown, the best punt would have bounced into the endzone. I still like the corner kicks. Mike and Mike were discussing the topic this morning on ESPN radio. Golic mentioned how it is rare to kick to the corners any more. The kick-offs are ... well, not good at this point.

Agree on the kickoffs. Thought the punting was good. He did have a 61 yarder in the air. Nice weapon to have when you need to flip field position.

Tight Ends: What a good day for them! Now, we probably won't see them again this year!!

Nice how you point out an area that no one with half a brain could criticize and still manage in slip in a dig. I swear someone must piss in your cereal every morning. :rolleyes:

Overall: C+ MSU is not Georgia Tech. Auburn still has a lot to improve on if they are to beat the likes of  :usc:   Arkansas, and others.

180595[/snapback]

Overall I'd say a B. The defense gets an A+. Offense gets a C+ for the second half swoon.

If the defense continues to play this way, I think we can beat almost anyone. Arkansas doens't look to be much of a threat right now. We'll see how they bounce back.

we didn't exactly play a stellar game. there were several missed assignments on D that I saw. MSU also had some key drops and Conner missed several open recievers. I think we were very lucky to come out with a shutout. I was happy with our run defense though.

Our offense still didn't get into a groove. After not running the ball enough vs. tech, we end up running it too much vs. state. I guess they are trying to find a back that will step up and take the starting job or something. I thought they would pass a little more to get Cox some more experience.

I'm happy with the win but it could have, and should have been a more productive game.

180621[/snapback]

Did you drink your kool-aid today? :lol:

180598[/snapback]

Agreed!

Bliss dropped a kick within the 5 yard line and kicked another one 61 yards in the air.

180631[/snapback]

Without a tremendouse effort, from a team mate, that one goes thru the end zone as well. The 61 yard, wind aided but still good, kick was nice. If you pin it out of bounds in the corners, you don't have to worry about coverage; Plus, if you have to cover a return to that side, you force the return in your direction, instead of giving the whole field for the return.

180598[/snapback]

Agreed!

180631[/snapback]

Without a tremendouse effort, from a team mate, that one goes thru the end zone as well. The 61 yard, wind aided but still good, kick was nice. If you pin it out of bounds in the corners, you don't have to worry about coverage; Plus, if you have to cover a return to that side, you force the return in your direction, instead of giving the whole field for the return.

180684[/snapback]

"Without a tremendous effort, from a team mate"

HE BOOTED THE BALL!!! IT WAS HIS TEAMMATES JOB TO MAKE THAT EFFORT. HE WAS ON SPECIAL TEAMS.

You know, I dont even know why I read your posts anymore :blink:

180621[/snapback]

Really... How can you grade the team with a C after pitching a shutout and winning 28-0. And saying the tight ends wont be seen after this game? We've got some work to do with you. :rolleyes:

180672[/snapback]

We beat one of the "Have-Nots" of the league. It was not a big deal and we were not too convincing about doing it. I do understand that the staff wanted to concentrate on the run. We could have thrown a lot more and looked better. The "great" 28-0 win also got us dropped out of the top 25. I don't want to hear anyone say that the polls don't matter, after everyone here complained about last year. Some schools didn't have problems running it up. That's how you move up in a poll, I don't care what you say. You have to pound the "Have-Nots" and beat the "Haves" as bad as you can.

My reference to the tight-ends was, I though, an obvious jab at the coaching staff. How many times have they said "we need to throw to the tight ends more" and we haven't done it? In jest I was saying that now that they were thrown to so much, and SCORED, the poor guys probably won't see another ball thrown their way for a while. It worked so we won't go back to it. :poke:

Well, I'd still rather give Cox all the game time he can get before tougher opponents come up.

Yes, that worked so well for Cox for this year didn't it?! :o

Actually, I thought it was much improved. We purposely ran the ball even when MSU had 9 man fronts just to give the guys practice in running against a defense totally geared to stop it. We could have been more cute and play action passed I guess to burn them but I don't think that was the point.

Much improved? Are you serious? What were the numbers for both games?

Agree on the kickoffs. Thought the punting was good. He did have a 61 yarder in the air. Nice weapon to have when you need to flip field position.

I have addressed this already. It could be much better. Kicking the ball into the endzone, when you are in opponents territory, is not a good thing.

Nice how you point out an area that no one with half a brain could criticize and still manage in slip in a dig. I swear someone must piss in your cereal every morning. :rolleyes:

I did not take a dig at the players. It seems each time Auburn gets the TE's the ball for big plays, we usually stay away from it for several games, only to talk about how we should do it more. The dig, if there was one, was directed at the coaching staff.

As for my cereal, nope...just regular milk(actually fat-free). But let me know how that goes for you, if you try it.

we didn't exactly play a stellar game. there were several missed assignments on D that I saw. MSU also had some key drops and Conner missed several open recievers. I think we were very lucky to come out with a shutout. I was happy with our run defense though.

Our offense still didn't get into a groove. After not running the ball enough vs. tech, we end up running it too much vs. state. I guess they are trying to find a back that will step up and take the starting job or something. I thought they would pass a little more to get Cox some more experience.

I'm happy with the win but it could have, and should have been a more productive game.

180676[/snapback]

Good assessment. Thanks for keeping it real! :thumbsup:

180676[/snapback]

180690[/snapback]

Dont act like hes on your side of things. Theres a difference between his assesment and yours. What is it? Attitude. Your negativity is very bad, and it never changes...even if we win.

180676[/snapback]

180690[/snapback]

Dont act like hes on your side of things. Theres a difference between his assesment and yours. What is it? Attitude. Your negativity is very bad, and it never changes...even if we win.

180700[/snapback]

WEll at least he is constantly negative rather than a flip flopper :P

Yes, that worked so well for Cox for this year didn't it?! :o

Um, I'm talking about the rest of our schedule. What are you talking about? Given the problems he had against the blitz vs GT, don't you think getting him as much experience as possible before South Carolina, Arky and LSU is a good thing?

Much improved? Are you serious? What were the numbers for both games?

50 yds vs GT and 118 yds vs MSU. More than double. And that was even running it just to more or less "practice" going against stacked fronts. I'd say that's a big improvement. I didn't say it had arrived.

I have addressed this already. It could be much better. Kicking the ball into the endzone, when you are in opponents territory, is not a good thing.

Ok. :rolleyes:

I did not take a dig at the players.  It seems each time Auburn gets the TE's the ball for big plays, we usually stay away from it for several games, only to talk about how we should do it more. The dig, if there was one, was directed at the coaching staff.

And I didn't say you did. There was a dig and I know who it was directed toward. I just question why you have to insert digs into completely positive elements at all.

As for my cereal, nope...just regular milk(actually fat-free). But let me know how that goes for you, if you try it.

Well, I thought maybe your piss-poor attitude was only with relation to baseball, but apparently it extends to all things Auburn. I don't even know why you bother cheering for them. I guess you just have a general disposition to find a dark cloud behind any and every silver lining.

A win is a win. But I'll take the middle of the road on this win.

Defensively, we played much better than against GT but MSU is no GT. MSU still had receivers that got open and behind our db's but the MSU qb did not get the ball to them or threw bad passes. Our pass rush was better but MSU is no GT.

Offensively, we still are not running the ball with consistancy. I'm really worried about a defensive scheme that utilizes a line stunt and blitzes. I still think that we are not running enough mis-direction running plays or crossing routes on passes. True, we did not show any of our future opponents anything but pure basic plays but we need to be running more of our offense in game situations for experience and getting confidence built up. That is why I was disappointed in us pulling back in the second half on our offensive play calling. If all you are going to do is hand off to the backs, why not put in the backup qb for him to get some experience.

Special teams continue to mis-fire with a missed field goal and kickoffs going out of bounds. Punting is fine. The reason most teams have gone away from coffin corner kicks is that too many times the punt is shanked due to aiming at the sideline and the advantage goes to the receiving team. With kicking straight down field and high, you are tring to utilize the speed of the gunners and and shank may still end up in the field of play - thus more room for error.

About the TE's. MORE. MORE. MORE. I can't wait for Cooper Wallace to score. If I'm not mistaken, he has never scored a touchdown.

Overall, we won. Any win is a GREAT WIN. I guess we accomplished what the coaches wanted - a win, no one hurt, not much for opponents to learn. We do need to get better but this is a young team that is learning and gaining experience each week. I'm not sure what we will see from them the next two games but i'm guessing, big first halves but pulling back again in the second half. Maybe more players getting to play hopefully.

What this team is lacking now is experience and leadership. But both are being developed each week. This is going to be both a fun and painfull year. I think the coaches understand this also. I'm ready and willing to accept and support whatever this team gives.

WDE

180676[/snapback]

180690[/snapback]

180700[/snapback]

I don't have to act. He said the same things I did. :au:

Aubie, I think you are a very disturbed person!

As for the game, our D still scares me. It seems as though the DB's just give up on the play if it looks like our line might break up the play in the backfield. The majority of caught balls on Saturday was not because of some miraculous play calling, route running, throwing ability; instead, it was the complete letdown of our DB's when they thought the D-line was going to make a big play.

That cannot continue to happen and us expect to win big games!

Also, we need to have a better game plan for our offense and the play calling. I understand not wanting to show our future opponents much of our game plan, but we need to be able to execute that plan when it gets put into a game, and I'm not sure if our team can do that with our lack of experience!

Hopefully, the next couple of weeks will show us a more solid game plan, and a running attack that can actually attack another team's D-line. That however will only happen with better play from our O-line.

All in all, I think there are a lot of things we need to work on, but this past weeks game against MSU was not bad; it was a learning experience for our players and our coaches and as long as we continue to learn, grow, and develop we will be just fine!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

Archived