Series with WVU announced

bammanmr

Home and home with Mountaineers beginning in 2008

Sweet.

Jacobs is toughening up our schedule, you have to give him that.

Tigers to Face Mountaineers in Two-Game Series

By Staff Reports Inside the Auburn Tigers

Date: Sep 15, 2005

Auburn, Ala.--The Mountaineers of West Virginia, a team that competes in the Big East Conference, will play a home and home football series with Auburn beginning in 2008.

Auburn and West Virginia will play for the first time in football at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Sept. 6th, 2008. The Tigers will play a return game at WVU on Sept. 5th, 2009.

The Mountaineers also announced on Thursday that they will play future games with Florida State and Michigan State. Earlier West Virginia announced it will play a home and home series with another SEC team, Mississippi State, in 2006 and 2007.

Auburn recently announced it would open the 2006 season vs. Washington State, but has not announced its schedule for next season.

The Tigers' last contest against a Big East Conference team was a 37-34 overtime victory in 2002.

Auburn's all-time record vs. the current football teams in the Big East is 5-1-1. The Tigers are 2-0 vs. Cincinnati, 1-0 vs. Louisville, 1-0 vs. Rutgers and 1-1-1 vs. Syracuse. Other football teams in the Big East are South Florida, UConn and Pitt.

Considering CTT's record against any team worth-a-crap to start out the season, I would say this was pure folly. Rather play Citadel, take some heat from the press and get a W than get embarassed on National TV before the team is ready.

Forget just scheduling to get a W....I want to see a football game, not a bashing. Whether we lose or not, it steps up our level of competition and provides alot more exposure for our team.

I like the fact we scheduled them, but I would rather have it as game #2 or #3 rather than leading off the season. Our last four openers against decent opposition haven't gone well...19-0 loss against UVA, 24-17 and 23-0 losses against USC, 23-14 loss against GT.

I agree with Wishbone...

We do not need to open the season against good teams anymore. It would be fine to play them in the 2nd or third game, but not to open the season. I am tired of starting the season with a loss. Three of the last 4 years we have started 0-1! Tommy has a problem with winning that first game.

I don't mind playing WV or anybody for that matter. If we are going to be a top ten program on a consistent basis, we need to play teams that will help build our national image.

The only thing I don't like about the selection of teams and the scheduling of when to play them is the way its being done. Jacobs is not even getting the head FB coach involved. Seems to me that this lack of communications is not good for this organization. If I were the head coach, responsible for the W-L record, I sure would want to have my input about when to play WV.

Hey, if we are tired of opening the season ohh for one against "quality" opponents, then do a better job of getting ready and win the darn things. Is Georgia Tech complaining about opening with a "quality" opponent? I think not. Play quality opponent, win your share, and respect comes. Remember, respect is earned, not delivered in the mail.

Archived