5 missed fg's

PowerI

I'm not going to blame the kicker, but we haven't had a field goal kicker since Jaret Holmes and that was under Bowden. We've recruited all these kickers in the past that were supposed to be stars like Yost, Duvall and Vaughn and they haven't done anything. I wish Tuberville would go out and hire a special teams coach instead of relying on Eddie Gran. Why the hell did Auburn call timeout when the time was running out of LSU's field goal attempt? That made no damn sense. I'm sorry if I sound a bit irritated, but we should have won this damn game.

I'm not going to blame the kicker, but we haven't had a field goal kicker since Jaret Holmes and that was under Bowden.  We've recruited all these kickers in the past that were supposed to be stars like Yost, Duvall and Vaughn and they haven't done anything.  I wish Tuberville would go out and hire a special teams coach instead of relying on Eddie Gran.  Why the hell did Auburn call timeout when the time was running out of LSU's field goal attempt?  That made no damn sense.  I'm sorry if I sound a bit irritated, but we should have won this damn game.

191562[/snapback]

Yeah, that duvall guy never did a damn thing - other than win a few consecutive games with last-second kicks, including an upset of the #1 ranked team. If Duval never did another thing, he was set for that kick in the driving rain against Florida.

The problem is not in missing a 50 yarder at the end of regulation, or the 40 yarder in OT. They should not have put the kicker in that position in OT, seeing that he was struggling tonight. They should have punched in a touchdown in OT.

And, the timeout on LSU's late 4th quarter kick was unfortunate - if LSU doesn't call it themselves, they are moved back 5 yards and have a much more difficult kick, plus Auburn has that timeout to help in the 2 minute offense.

Shoulda coulda woulda - doesn't matter now. While disappointed that LSU ended with more points, I'm still proud of Auburn's performance tonight.

I was pretty much screaming at Tuberville (through my tv) when he called that timeout. In all honesty, I believe that cost us the game. LOL. Sure, there were other things, but if we would have had that timeout, we most likely could have set up for better field position, but like you said, it doesn't matter now.

I feel decent about this team.. Our rushing game really blows my mind. I never thought our offensive line would have played as well as they did. I thought our defense played well, until LSU figured out to throw away from Herring. BTW, WTF was up with the dropped passes? Something was in the air in Baton Rouge, as both teams had trouble catching - the wind didn't do it.

Ok.. Look on the brightside. We might get to Georgia while they are down. Alabama has no offense. Lets hope that someone beats LSU and we go undefeated through the remainder of the season.

Oh yeah.. Lets see how many spots we drop this week. I wouldn't be suprised to see 20-25. Just for the record, WAR EAGLE!

I will stop the rambling... =D

I'm not going to blame the kicker, but we haven't had a field goal kicker since Jaret Holmes and that was under Bowden.  We've recruited all these kickers in the past that were supposed to be stars like Yost, Duvall and Vaughn and they haven't done anything.  I wish Tuberville would go out and hire a special teams coach instead of relying on Eddie Gran.  Why the hell did Auburn call timeout when the time was running out of LSU's field goal attempt?  That made no damn sense.  I'm sorry if I sound a bit irritated, but we should have won this damn game.

191562[/snapback]

Yeah, that duvall guy never did a damn thing - other than win a few consecutive games with last-second kicks, including an upset of the #1 ranked team. If Duval never did another thing, he was set for that kick in the driving rain against Florida.

The problem is not in missing a 50 yarder at the end of regulation, or the 40 yarder in OT. They should not have put the kicker in that position in OT, seeing that he was struggling tonight. They should have punched in a touchdown in OT.

And, the timeout on LSU's late 4th quarter kick was unfortunate - if LSU doesn't call it themselves, they are moved back 5 yards and have a much more difficult kick, plus Auburn has that timeout to help in the 2 minute offense.

Shoulda coulda woulda - doesn't matter now. While disappointed that LSU ended with more points, I'm still proud of Auburn's performance tonight.

191572[/snapback]

I'm sorry guys, last night I was a little upset after we got beat. After we scored that last touchdown I thought for sure we would win the game. I thought both teams played hard, just like last year, except this year, the wrong team came out on top. I was really impressed with Kenny and Brandon looked good for the most part. However, our wr's have to step up. Brandon needs all the help he can get. Most of our receivers are seniors and need to do a better job focusing on the ball. I'm sure they will work on that this week. I was also a little disappointed in our defense. We did a good job stopping the run, but we didn't seem to put as much pressure on the quarterback, which gave him alot of time. It seemed that both Auburn's and LSU's receivers had a hard time focusing on the ball or else it might've been a track meet. I'm still not too keen on David Gibbs, I expect more out of our defense. I was glad to see Tubs give him an earful on the sidelines.

As far as Damon Duvall is concerned, he lost as many games for us as he won. Yeah, he won the 01 Florida game, but he also lost the 02 Florida game. He won the 01 Mississippi State game, but he lost the 99 Ole Miss game and also missed a few fieldgoals against MSU in 99 that would have made a difference. My point is, is that Damon Duvall was very erratic and inconsistent and that we have not had a consistent kicker since Jared Holmes and Scott Etheridge and I don't think it is because of the kicker's lack in talent. It's coaching in the special teams and I have been very dissapointed in the special teams since Tuberville has been here.

When it came time for the last field goal attempt just before the end of regular time, did you all notice how our kicker looked before coming out on the field? He looked, at least to me, that he had lost all confidence. He looked like a wreck!

no doubt i was upset at the loss. the running game, the o-line and cox showed up to the game to play.

the defensive line and linebackers did a fine job; however, the d-backs left people open. gibbs did not pressure the qb and i am not impressed with his decision making.

special teams i am mixed. do we not have another field goal kicker? if yes i would have set vaughn on the bench.

on this board you can not bash players; therefore, vaughn isn't the right person at the college level. the coaching staff is to blame for not signing a kicker who can kick beyond 30 yards. some how i don't think vaughn will make the sec special teams player of the week.

war eagle!

It's not that they haven't signed several good kickers, it's that they haven't coached them when they got them. Phillip Yost was the best in the nation when we got him and what did he do? Vaughn was supposed to be a stud and look. It's coaching, not recruiting good kickers. I don't know why Tuberville won't go out a get a coach to work with special teams alone, instead of Eddie Gran that doesn't appear to know what he's doing.

Your right that our kickers havn't been consistent like they use to be. But if you look you'll notice the trend begins around the time that the NCAA put stricter regulations on practice hours.

There has been a decline in the kicking game across the nation over the past few years, not just at Auburn.

You also in the past few years have a professional soccer league in the US now and the number and amount of money for soccer scholarships has gone up, and a majority of your quality kickers were soccer players first and more and more are sticking with the sport.

191562[/snapback]

191572[/snapback]

I'm sorry guys, last night I was a little upset after we got beat. After we scored that last touchdown I thought for sure we would win the game. I thought both teams played hard, just like last year, except this year, the wrong team came out on top. I was really impressed with Kenny and Brandon looked good for the most part. However, our wr's have to step up. Brandon needs all the help he can get. Most of our receivers are seniors and need to do a better job focusing on the ball. I'm sure they will work on that this week. I was also a little disappointed in our defense. We did a good job stopping the run, but we didn't seem to put as much pressure on the quarterback, which gave him alot of time. It seemed that both Auburn's and LSU's receivers had a hard time focusing on the ball or else it might've been a track meet. I'm still not too keen on David Gibbs, I expect more out of our defense. I was glad to see Tubs give him an earful on the sidelines.

As far as Damon Duvall is concerned, he lost as many games for us as he won. Yeah, he won the 01 Florida game, but he also lost the 02 Florida game. He won the 01 Mississippi State game, but he lost the 99 Ole Miss game and also missed a few fieldgoals against MSU in 99 that would have made a difference. My point is, is that Damon Duvall was very erratic and inconsistent and that we have not had a consistent kicker since Jared Holmes and Scott Etheridge and I don't think it is because of the kicker's lack in talent. It's coaching in the special teams and I have been very dissapointed in the special teams since Tuberville has been here.

191661[/snapback]

I agree with everything you have said. :thumbsup:

Brandon's completion % took a HUGE hit as several players dropped passes which hit them squarely in the hands. It wasn't just a bad day for one receiver. Brandon, the O-line, Kenny Irons, they did their jobs. 2 of the missed fgs were hardly 'gimmies', while 3 others were. Despite all the opportunities, Auburn took them to OT and could have won the game. This team, in losing, still has grown up since losing to Ga Tech.

"...he won the 01 Florida game, but he also lost the 02 Florida game"

Hmmm, wasn't '02 the game where UF BLOCKED the kick? The O-line was swiss cheese on that important play. Wasn't that also the game where Carnell broke his leg because Cooper Wallace missed a block? On & on. Can't blame 1 player...cliche, but true in football.

Re: recruiting quality kickers, if this was anything like a science (which it almost can be for some other positions), Bobby Bowden would have found a good kicker long ago. FL State lost probably 3 NCs because of wide lefts and wide rights and they can get most folks they go after. Yet Sabastian Janakowski is the only one that panned out at all. Look who wins the Lou Groza award every year, not Parade all american kickers. Trouble is, watching a kid on hs film kick 50 yarders consistently in front of a HS crowd ain't applicable to college ball. Vaughn is fine, not great but fine. He's a kid and unlike any other position on the field, a kicker gets only a few shots each game to show his "worth". 1 less breakfast burrito and we go to 2nd OT.

Archived