Just a matter of time...

Raven_tiger

How many people have to be killed or seriously hurt to force school administrations to address this issue???

Link

MORRIS, Minn. -- A 20-year-old University of Minnesota-Morris student was killed Saturday when football fans pulled down a goal post at the end of the Cougars' 34-28 overtime homecoming win over Crown College.

Richard Thomas Rose of Benton City, Wash., was a junior at Minnesota-Morris and a member of the men's basketball team, the school said.

Rose was pronounced dead at a hospital after attempts to revive him on the field failed, Minnesota-Morris Chancellor Sam Schuman said.

"I think the presumption is that [his] death was caused by [a] blow from the goal post," Schuman told The Associated Press.

University Police Sgt. Chuck Grussing said his department is working with the Stevens County coroner's office to investigate the death. He said the investigation was in the early stages and declined comment Saturday night.

Schuman said the stands were full with probably about 1,000 fans watching the last football game at "Cougar Field." The Cougars move to a new stadium next season.

Schuman said students were "understandably quite upset."

"He was a popular young man, and I think students are shocked and in a very deep state of grief," Schuman said. He said the school will offer counseling to students, staff and faculty.

No one else was hurt. An autopsy will be conducted.

Minnesota-Morris is a public liberal arts school of about 1,700 students in west-central Minnesota, about 135 miles northwest of Minneapolis.

I never have quite understood where this whole idea that the way to celebrate is to destroy expensive public property got started. I suppose it may have begun with the relatively inexpensive/harmless cutting down of hoop nets in basketball. These days, not only is it "tear down the goal posts" but it has even spread to "riot, burn and smash on the streets" at times, particularly on the pro sports level. But I'm also not sure it can be totally prevented at this point.

I would like to see colleges do what they can to stop it, though. [Maybe firehoses weren't such a bad idea.] I've also wondered why the industry can't come up with lightweight, stiff, cardboard-like disposable goal posts that wouldn't cost as much to replace nor be as dangerous if they came down. They might have to be replaced more often because of ordinary wear, tear, fatigue and weather--perhaps even every game or two--but that wouldn't be an issue if they were cheap.

My sympathies to this guy's family and loved ones.

Technology has existed for several years (and several colleges are now using it) that allos the goal posts to be lowered to the ground after the game w/out it being a big deal to raist them when fans have left. what this means is colleges NOT using that technology are running big time risks of getting the pants sued off them by grieving parents and relatives. It boils down to cold risk management decisions most of the time.

Having said that, tearing up the sporting venue is as old as sport. Nothing new, including deaths related to this overzealous behaviour. If you were @ the game, tell me w/ a straight face you didn't seriously consider rushing Legion Field in '82 when good finally prevailed after the dark ages... ;)

Technology has existed for several years (and several colleges are now using it) that allos the goal posts to be lowered to the ground after the game w/out it being a big deal to raist them when fans have left. what this means is colleges NOT using that technology are running big time risks of getting the pants sued off them by grieving parents and relatives. It boils down to cold risk management decisions most of the time.

Having said that, tearing up the sporting venue is as old as sport. Nothing new, including deaths related to this overzealous behaviour. If you were @ the game, tell me w/ a straight face you didn't seriously consider rushing Legion Field in '82 when good finally prevailed after the dark ages... ;)

191740[/snapback]

Consider it? Heck, I did it!

Archived