Tuberville blasts ESPN, BCS

TitanTiger

Damn, Tommy. Tell us what you really think.

Tuberville, whose team was shut out of the BCS national title game last season, was asked if he thought the same thing might happen to an SEC school again this year. That got him started on the Bowl Championship Series system and the national media, particularly ESPN.

"It's done," Tuberville said. "The national media, led by ESPN, wants to see Vince Young vs. Matt Leinart in the championship game. It's going to be those two teams unless Texas or USC get upset...

Tuberville spoke out sharply against ESPN and the influence it wields on the college game. He said the opinions ESPN hosts and analysts put out on the airwaves each week tend to shape the opinions of fans and media people around the country.

And he's not at all happy about that.

"ESPN has gotten so much power lately, it's kinda scary," Tuberville said. "And most of their analysts are coaches who haven't won any games. That's why they're there. I think you know who I'm talking about.

"And Lou Holtz gets on there and talks about what a team has to do win that game, and the guy couldn't beat anybody in our conference. These guys will come talk to you and look you straight in the eye and tell you something, then they'll get on the air and say something else.

"ESPN, I'll tell you, I don't have much to do with them anymore."

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p.../510250348/1002

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get 'em Tommy.

However, I don't think CTT tiraid will do any good and can only do harm. I agree with him 100% but this might be one of those things, as a coach, you leave to yourself.

Great read, thanks for the post. The part in the link about the team responding to Vaughn was good as well.

whoa, I wish Coach Tubs wouldn't have said, "I don't have much to do with them anymore" I do not want to get on ESPN's bad side. Why? Because Tommy is right - they are a super power and stupid people agree with whatever Corso and Kirk say.

Funny thing, everyone in the country is thinking what he just said, but no one has had the nads the say until now!! Way to go Tommy!! He is 100% right. It doesn't matter what Va Tech or UGA or Bama does...None of them will have a shot at playing in the Rose Bowl. I would almost hope that all 5 would go undefeated just b/c of the problems it exposes in the BCS. But I know it isn't going to happen, b/c we are going to beat UGA and Bama, so it is a moot point.

I loved seeig the things he had to say about the team in the locker room and how they treated Vaughn. That is like being a family......an Auburn Family!!! Even in the lose, we will see a catapult affect like the win last year.....4-0 the rest of regular season, maybe we make it to Atlanta after Bama beats LSU, sorry Tim, we got to cheer for Bama to win this one. I know, I know, :puke: But it's the only way to get to the SEC Championship to defend our rightful title!!! Then we go lay the lumber to some unsuspecting team in a big bowl !!!!!!!!!!! WAR EAGLE!!!

great job Tommy :)

Now I like ESPN and really like the package they put out, and they have given

:au: a lot of exposure, but what he says is true. TT needs to get mad, it will make him a better coach. Now he needs to blast PF and stay off of that hacks show

along with Dye, Trotman, White and any other :au: people. leave it to the

univeristy of ass wipe tuscaloser :homer:

Wonder if Lou is smiling now?

Expect Auburn to catch grief the rest of the season if they are mentioned at all.

Now do think the :au::uga: game will be on ESPN?

Well, I'm glad he said it. He's right. Herbstreit pulled that stunt last year. Said if we beat Georgia, he'll be convinced we deserve to be #2 over Oklahoma. We throttle them and it changes to "I want to see how they handle a tough defense in a hostile environment on the road at Alabama." So we win that game and it becomes "let's see how they handle the pressure of a rematch with the Vols for the SEC title." We do all that and he starts pimping OU for blasting a sorry Colorado team. Hypocrite.

Bottom line, it's stupid system and ESPN does wield too much sway. Nice job, Tommy.

Reason ESPN shows Auburn and other SEC teams is cause of the ratings. Doesn't matter what Tuberville says, ESPN isn't going to pass up AU/LSU, AU/UA, AU/UGA etc. if they have the chance to broadcast them. If those games didn't get high ratings he could kiss Corso's butt and we wouldn't be on TV.

Plus he is 100% right and I bet you only find a handful of people in the press that disagree with him. The Gameday crew has already said we should just FF the season and play the Rose Bowl with Texas/USC themselves on multiple occasions this year.

Hmmm....Let's see, A Coach that "Tells it like IT is. :D

WTG Coach Tuberville!

WAR :au: EAGLE!

ONE at a time.

Way to go coach.

It was amazing to me how on Saturday on GameDay Final they just said, "I have VA Tech 3" and they just resigned to the fact that, "They could be this year's Auburn Tigers" as if that's just fine, that if there is someone else undefeated then sucks for them. It's ridiculous, and nobody that finishes undefeated deserves to not have a shot.

I think a temporary fix until they finally go with a playoff (which will never happen), would be to not release any poll until about mid-season. This wouldn't solve everything, but it would help. It would give the pollsters time to watch teams for about 6 weeks before they rank them.

War Damn Tuberville!

Thank you for telling it like it is, not that it will help but its about time ESPN got called out. The week before last we had to see pete caroll get a six lip butt massage on air by the idiots on espn and last week we had to relive every glorious moment. :rolleyes::chair:

:cheer::cheer::cheer: for Coach

I think a temporary fix until they finally go with a playoff (which will never happen), would be to not release any poll until about mid-season. This wouldn't solve everything, but it would help. It would give the pollsters time to watch teams for about 6 weeks before they rank them.

192325[/snapback]

Come on scott like any of them actually watch any games.... :rolleyes: They would just take the final polls from the previous year store them away and then 6 weeks into the season pull it and scratch and paste, who they thought might have been playing good, of course leaving USC, OU, ND, and the likes in the top of the heap.

I wish Tommy would learn from his past "foot in mouth" episodes and just close his mouth.  :no:   Move on Tubby, you can't change what happened last year.

IMO

:au:

192293[/snapback]

I usually hate when CTT sticks his foot in his mouth but this isn't one of those times. We can't change last year but that doesn't mean that we should sit by and let a flawed system continue. If people sat by and did nothing, then nothing would ever get done. The only way to change the current system, the BsCS, is to complain until something changes. More than likely there are going to be at least 3, maybe 4 undefeated teams this year. We need a playoff system, and if CTT keeps on, I think we'll finally get one. :thumbsup:

Way to go Coach Tubs. I just wish you hadn't held back and told them what you really think. :D

Screw ESPN and all their incompetent boobs. Holtz is just the latest joke, really pathetic. He and Jimmy Carter need to check into some retread center and learn to quietly fade away.

War Damn Tuberville!

Thank you for telling it like it is, not that it will help but its about time ESPN got called out. The week before last we had to see pete caroll get a six lip butt massage on air by the idiots on espn and last week we had to relive every glorious moment.  :rolleyes:   :chair:

:cheer:   :cheer:   :cheer:   for Coach

192338[/snapback]

Ya know that 6 lip deal could be a good thing, butt not in the above context

and replace the people doing it.

I don't know, did we really lose the LSU game :slapfh:

I'm listening to Finebaum right now and he is talking about this subject, just bashing Tubberville, thats alllllllllllllllllllllll he is doing, he is such a jackass...sorry for the language

OH and guess what , an UAT fan just called in and he said he agrees with tubberville, then finebaum goes on the speal about how he thinks dye is a Croyle fan and he is secretly routing for UAT, Finebaum is worse than Jerry Springer

Archived