If Miami beats VT

rexbo

UM over UAT in the next poll, yeah it could and may very easily happen.

Before the start of the weekend, UCLA was 8-0 and #7 in the polls, behind not ONE but TWO one loss teams, (LSU and Miami.) Why? Because the voters feel, these two teams have been playing better football. Even more evidence a 5-2 Notre Dame team is #8 in the polls that’s higher than 7 teams with at least TWO or More wins than this ND team and ONE less loss. These 7 include team like FSU, UGA, Penn State and Wisconsin. If a 5-2 ND team can stay in the top ten because they are Notre Dame and the media loves to see them highly ranked. Then a very dominant (over the last ten years) and a well-liked team like Miami, can jump a UAT team that’s winning ugly not in one game but the last 3 games against conference teams, and has been very mediocre in the last 10 years. Is it right to drop UAT no they haven’t lost but will it happen, I think so.

There are no constraints requiring that teams be ranked in order of increasing numbers of losses.  If a team with two losses can be ranked ahead of one with only one loss, then a 1-loss team can be ranked ahead of an undefeated team.

195432[/snapback]

Yeah, you're right. UCLA is the perfect example before tonight. They were unbeaten and ranked at #7, behind some teams that have been beaten.

HOWEVER, Miami will not jump an undefeated SEC team. Period. Despite what the national media would lead you to believe, the Pac10 is not as strong as the SEC.

As of last week. Obviously some of these rankings will change because of today's games. It's true, Mississippi State is a powerhouse in disguise. :big::big:

Total Offense

1 Southern California

6 Texas

44 Virginia Tech

47 Alabama

107 Mississippi St.

Scoring Offense

1 Southern California

3 Texas

12 Virginia Tech

38 Miami (Fla.)

70 Alabama

114 Mississippi St.

Total Defense

1 Miami (Fla.)

2 Virginia Tech

3 Alabama

7 Texas

35 Southern California

50 Mississippi St.

Scoring Defense

1 Virginia Tech

2 Alabama

3 Miami (Fla.)

12 Texas

33 Southern California

40 Mississippi St.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?div=4&site=org

BG,

Remember it's the BCS, or as I like to call it: the Beauty Contest Selection. I don't think the human polls have have any restrictions on the voters. That is, I don't think uat's unblemished record trumps all. It's all subjective, and right now uat is to college football what Miss Montana is to the Miss America beauty pagent -- nice that you got where you are but you ain't fooling anyone that you got a prayer of winning the whole shebang. Just trying to keep it real. :P

it's going to be interesting to see what happens in the polls, but i'd surmise bama goes to #3.

kirk herbstreit had 'em at #5 behind PSU and Miami... go figure. he also said that UT/USC could go ahead and book their reservations for the rose bowl....*i think that's what i heard him say*....

at any rate, this is a moot point if bama doesn't win out. if they do, they'll certainly be at least #3, with three great wins in a row.

if not, then who cares where they are ranked this week. i don't think that wherever they land this week will fix them in cement there for the remainder of the season.

ct

Come on now, this is football, not figure skating. A win is a win, no matter how ugly. Until Alabama loses, they are #3.

195413[/snapback]

AMEN!!

Funny how some fans here want to say Miami should be #3 with one loss!

Were they saying the same thing in `93 about FSU???

I do think Miami should jump bammer.........But, listen up. Alabama is in a spot were they want to be...........Overlooked. If bammer can get past LSWHO I'll put them back up into the #3 Spot, until then.............I'm really undecided about if I want bama to beat LSU, my Good Side wants bama to be undefeated going into the Auburn game so we can Ruin their Title hopes and go to the SEC Championship, hoping we'll get past the Dawgs of Georgia........but, my Bad Side wants bama to Lose BAD, so I'd quit hearing about How Good bammer is.........Heck, if it was up to me, I'd have bama lose Every game, but that's just me and most of yall :D War "BY GOD" Eagle.

Miami deserves to be ranked #3. They absolutely dominated the #3 Hokies, in ALL facets of the game, at Blacksburg. UAT couldn't even score an offensive TD against MSU, one of the most downtrodden programs in the SEC; if not the country.

Do style points count? Are you kidding me? Absolutely. Whether they should be a factor or not is a point of contention. Style points are factored into the human polls is not in dispute. That is the way the system is currently. Like it or not.

UAT will have 2 losses soon enough. There will be 2 undefeated teams set to play in the MNC, just they way it should be. :rolleyes:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

1. Southern California (56) 9-0 1,544 1

2. Texas (6) 9-0 1,494 2

3. Alabama 9-0 1,398 4

4. Miami (Fla.) 7-1 1,385 5

5. LSU 7-1 1,283 6

6. Penn State 9-1 1,139 11

7. Notre Dame 6-2 1,124 9

8. Virginia Tech

8-1 1,116 3

9. Georgia

7-1 1,093 10

10. Ohio State 7-2 962 12

11. Oregon 8-1 919 13

12. Florida 7-2 754 15

13. Texas Tech

8-1 745 17

14. UCLA 8-1 744 7

15. West Virginia

7-1 710 16

16. Florida State 7-2 667 8

17. Auburn

7-2 619 18

18. TCU 9-1 491 20

19. Wisconsin 8-2 385 14

20. Fresno State 7-1 360 22

21. Colorado 7-2 302 24

22. Michigan 6-3 275 23

23. Louisville 6-2 242 25

24. Georgia Tech 6-2 117 NR

25. Boston College 6-3 56 19

Notre Dame is too high.

195529[/snapback]

I thought the same thing. My question is, if ND is being ranked soooo high because of the USC game, why isn't a 1 loss Oregon team ranked in the top ten? I mean, there ONLY loss is against USC.

The BCS standings won't come out until Monday. For some reason, Fox updates the teams W-L record before updating the polls.

For the record...tgr, titan, etc

I would have zero, and i mean ZERO problems with UM being ranked ahead of bama after this week if all teams were TRULY reevaluated on a week to week basis. If that were the case, bama would then truly control their destiny (because no sane voter would rank a 13-0 sec team behind a 1 loss ACC team)

But that is not the case. We are 9-0 and have been waiting for an opportunity to move ahead of the undefeated teams. Once Miami were to move ahead of us, there is nothing we could do to jump them if they kept winning when it comes to ap/coaches poll voters.

But again, it shows you how little weight people put in defense.

We win 34-17 today and no one is arguing whether or not we get jumped.

Bama has the type of D that can win every game for you. If we were 9-0 winning games 41-35 we would be a solid 3...and thats sad.

Southern Cal's defense is below average but they can pour on the points. And thats all that matters to voters.

All things being equal, i dont think its fair to let a 12-0 SEC team (assuming we won out) go to a crappier bowl than an 11-1 ACC team. I just dont see it. You HAVE to be penalized for that loss. At least until you are competing against OTHER 1 loss teams in the rankings.

195431[/snapback]

As some else has mentioned, style matters a lot...for instance, last year had we totally manhandled Bama in the Iron Bowl for 4 qtrs and then done the same thing in the SECCG against UT, I think things might have been different last year. But I also don't think some the voters seem to weigh in rivalry games and conf. championship games as being as tough as they are. Realistically, having watched footbal games all year, I think Miami is overall a better team than Bama..it's a tough call whether to jump a one loss team over an undefeated team. Depends on how folks are looking at things. If they are basing it on how teams are playing and how good they think a team is OR are they going to always put the undefeated teams at the front of the pack. Wasn't Boise St and/or Utah ranked behind one loss teams for the majority of the year last year??

You are right about voters merely looking at who scores the most...If UM had beat Va Tech 17-13 or something like that they would not have jumped Bama in the AP poll. The coaches poll seems to have kept it sane, except for ND, Had UT actualy played D in the 1st and 4th qtrs they might have actually been able to win that game. The whole system is screwed up, especially when media folks are voting in the AP poll who mostly know squat about football.

Archived