Reggie Bush

AUesquire

It looks as if Reggie Bush will take home some Heisman hardware this year and in my mind, deservedly so. We've all seen this guy for three years now and he is talked about in some circles as the greatest college back of all time. I know, I know, there's plenty of media bias for certain teams and players. However, where do you folks think this guy really ranks on the list of all time great college backs?

Personally, he's one of the top 2 or 3 in my book. The guy is one of the most complete backs I've ever seen. He's got power up the middle, he has the balance and burst of speed through a hole of Carnell Williams. He's incredible as a receiver out of the backfield which makes him a "Complete" back to me. Bush has become a human highlite film each week, doing some incredible things. Did anyone see him go airborn, hurdling the UCLA defender on the side lines Saturday while running full speed?

I'd like some honest opinions and not a bunch of PAC 10 bashing. If you can do what this kid has done in ANY of the major conferences, SEC, Big 10, 12, PAC10 etc. you are legit. Yes, he's also played on some great teams, surrounded by great players. But then again, didn't Cadillac and Ronnie do the same last year? Ultimately, I say you could throw a hat over Bo, Reggie and Hershel and have an argument for any of the three as the best COLLEGE back of all time. (Bo is still the best athlete of all time :big: )

The guy is an excellant back, but I don't think he is top ten all time. All time guys are those special players that truly have that combination of power and world class speed. I really do not think he is true power guy. If USC needs one yard they go with the other back. There may be four backs from USC that could be considered ahead of him on the all time list: OJ, Marcus Allen, Charles White, and Mike Garrett. Then you look across the country at guys like Bo, Herschel, Dorsett, Earl Campbell, etc, etc. and don't know if Bush is top 15.

Bush is one of the most exciting players to play college football but he has also played on what many consider the best college offense in the history of the game. He also is playing against PAC-10 teams, which have not been known for much defense, especially in recent years.

In comparison, Bush has averaged 7.7 yards rushing during his career, which is terrific. Brent Fullwood averaged 7.2 yards per carry during his career at Auburn and he did not play on offensive squads as impressive as USC's. Bush has averaged a rushing TD every 17.5 carries and Fullwood averaged a rushing TD every 16.3 attempts. Fullwood was also a deadly kick returner but he played in a run oriented offense, so Bush has better receiving numbers.

Simply put, if you were a NFL General Manager and you could draft Bo Jackson in his prime or Reggie Bush, who would you pick? Would you pick him over Herschel Walker? Barry Sanders? Billy Sims? Tony Dorsett? OJ Simpson? Marcus Allen?

If your answer is yes, than he is the best of all time. IMO, I would not pick him over the above mentioned backs so he can't be the best of all time.

80 Tiger-

I have to disagree with the statement that Bush doesn't possess an element of power. Watching this kid run, I've seen him knock a few people down, keep his legs, and exert some force that only a strong runner can. True, he is a finesse back first. But that certainly doesn't warrant him being a weaker player than these other backs.

Actually, I would argue that makes him greater than the power backs. I would even assert that the other backs don't have what Reggie has, which is game-breaking ability on any play, any touch, at any position on the field. He is in a category unto himself. Only time will tell how great he can be in pros. If we're talking about great college backs, though, check the stats and wins. I think Reggie's a tough comparison for anybody, especially in the modern football era.

He has run over people and he does have some power, but when I think of great ones and power and speed, my litmus test is Bo and Herschel, guys that could run over anyone on the field and continue at top speed. Its a great argument either way and maybe its my age but I dont think of him in the same manner of some of the players that were mentioned earlier.

I think the reason that most peolpe don't respect Bush as a player is because he plays in the PAC-10. Right now, I would say he is one of the all time best college backs. Guys, his numbers speak for themselves. He can score anywhere on the field at any time. He is a great reciever, great and great special teams player.

REGGIE BUSH AVERAGES 10 YARDS EVERYTIME HE TOUCHES THE BALL!!!! That's freaking amazing!

Only time will tell if he is better that Bo, OJ, Barry or the rest of the names thrown out. A lot of what those guys accomplished, they accomplished at the next level. If Bush can do the same thing at the next level that he does now, then he is absolutely one of the best backs of all time.

Reggie is averaging 8.87 y/p carry this season, which is SICK. Overall, there will be backs that have much better looking statistics than Bush throughout history and I'm certainly not making my argument based solely on that. I just watch this guy and think I've never seen a back that has the total package like him. He's as solid a receiver out of the backfield as any of their WR's. If they need a play to get em' going, they just run Bush on a wheel route against a linebacker...game over.

Think back to last year when Virginia Tech gave USC all they wanted for 2 and 1/2 quarters. Chow just said, "Okay Reggie, it's you and their linebacker." They burned em' twice on wheel routes and that was that. Statistically, he may not be near the top. It's just all the things he can do and the fact that you hold your breath every time he touches the ball.

Reggie is averaging 8.87 y/p carry this season, which is SICK.  Overall, there will be backs that have much better looking statistics than Bush throughout history and I'm certainly not making my argument based solely on that.  I just watch this guy and think I've never seen a back that has the total package like him.  He's as solid a receiver out of the backfield as any of their WR's.  If they need a play to get em' going, they just run Bush on a wheel route against a linebacker...game over. 

Think back to last year when Virginia Tech gave USC all they wanted for 2 and 1/2 quarters.  Chow just said, "Okay Reggie, it's you and their linebacker."  They burned em' twice on wheel routes and that was that.  Statistically, he may not be near the top.  It's just all the things he can do and the fact that you hold your breath every time he touches the ball.

203651[/snapback]

If I had a vote for the Heisman, Reggie would have mine with no doubt. Not sure how old you are or whether or not you actually saw Bo Jackson play. If you did, who would sign, Bo or Reggie?

I'm 45 and actually had Bo in several classes. Well, let me clarify that. Bo showed up the first day.....well, he must have been busy the rest of the quarter. You know, what with football and all. :big:

Anyway, I'd be happy to have the 1st or 2nd pick in a draft where they were both available. I'd have to take Bo first though. Just too great of an athlete. I mentioned "Holding your breath everytime" and Bo was just like that. One thing that was so special to me about Bo was, it could be 3rd and 7 and you felt pretty dang certain that if they'd just run the toss sweep, we were getting a first down.

When Bo turned his shoulders up field, fagetaboutit!

Archived