Tuberville quote

rolltoomer

Does anyone else find this statement curious?

"We'll look at most of the redshirt guys. We don't know a lot about them. The thing that we always try to do going into bowl practice is all of the guys that have redshirted have been on scout teams and position coaches don't know how they have been doing, how much weight they have gained, all those things that we need to get a gauge on to see where we want to start them for spring practice . . ."

Seems to me coaches ought to know more about their guys, as a result of contact and interest in them. It's motivational, if nothing else, for them to feel at least noticed and included.

"We'll look at most of the redshirt guys. We don't know a lot about them. The thing that we always try to do going into bowl practice is all of the guys that have redshirted have been on scout teams and position coaches don't know how they have been doing, how much weight they have gained, all those things that we need to get a gauge on to see where we want to start them for spring practice . . ."

Seems to me coaches ought to know more about their guys, as a result of contact and interest in them.  It's motivational, if nothing else, for them to feel at least noticed and included.

205789[/snapback]

I guess everyone has to worry about something. :rolleyes:

This staff has been in place for 7 or 8 years now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Seems to me coaches ought to know more about their guys, as a result of contact and interest in them.  It's motivational, if nothing else, for them to feel at least noticed and included.

205789[/snapback]

thats why scout team sucks...you are as low as it gets...doesn't matter much if your a 4 star recruit or a 4th year walk-on the coaches really aren't interested in you...just don't hurt the starters and make sure you give teh starters as good a look as you can....it seems harsh but all the wishing in the world isn't gonna change the way it really works...there are a lot of reasons players want to be on the two-deep...and when they are stuck on scout team it is easy to lose confidence if they aren't strong willed people.

This would certainly serve as a motivating tactic if I were on the scout team. Remember, we are talking about 17-18 year old kids that are accustomed to being in the spot light! A little humble pie does everyone good!

205789[/snapback]

The largest benefit of going to a bowl game, for the team is the extra practice time. The coaches use the majority of bowl practice for the young guys. During the regular season, the position coaches are concentrating on getting and keeping the first and second teams on the right page. Give them as many reps as possible. Put the pressure on them and see how they respond that will give the kids and coaches a head start on spring training.

With all the practice time and game planning going on during the season, it's hardly surprising that many if not all the position coaches wouldn't be up on things like that. They've got their hands full with the ones that the have to get prepared each week. I imagine the strength and conditioning coach oversees their progress during the season. I also imagine if this was some novel way of doing things, CTT wouldn't have said it so matter of factly. I'm betting it's the same way at virtually every major college football program.

Clearly Tuberville is a bumbling buffoon of a head coach, not to know every aspect of the kids he's redshirted. Any real coach would have his players info on the tip of his tongue, or at least have the position coaches clued in on the athletes' status. Hell, he RECRUITED these guys, for buddha's sake! Doesn't he have a handle on exactly who it is he has on scholarship?

Looks like the Prez and the A.D. aught to warm up the plane. Time we go looking for a head coach who CARES about his players, for once.

;)

Clearly Tuberville is a bumbling buffoon of a head coach, not to know every aspect of the kids he's redshirted. Any real coach would have his players info on the tip of his tongue, or at least have the position coaches clued in on the athletes' status. Hell, he RECRUITED these guys, for buddha's sake! Doesn't he have a handle on exactly who it is he has on scholarship?

Looks like the Prez and the A.D. aught to warm up the plane. Time we go looking for a head coach who CARES about his players, for once.

;)

205860[/snapback]

:lol:

Speaking from experience, I know for a fact position coaches do not pay one bit of attention to scout team players during the season. The season practice is about one thing and one thing only, getting your players that are going to be on the field ready and prepared to win a ballgame! Spring, 2 a days, and bowl practices are when younger guys get to practice with their position coaches and get a chance to make a name for themselves. Scout team is not about the players on the scout team...it is about giving the first and second team a good look at a game like situation. The only way you get noticed on the scout team is if you screw up or you're ***** footing around.

rolltoomer, I don't mean to sound critical, but if this quote sounds unsettling to you, then I must assume you have never coached a sport at the college or even upper level high school level. It is incredibly tough to follow the progress of your guys that are 3, 4 and 5 deep down the depth chart. Now every now and then one of those guys will suprise the heck out of you and really catch your eye, but outside of those few, most just steadily improve throught the season and it's hard for a coach that is trying to win every game every week to notice these subtle improvements. I love that Tubberville views Bowl practice as a time to give these guy a good look, and really see how much they've progressed throughout the season.

this is a canned coaches quote that i have heard from so many other coaches over the years that i cannot believe we need to discuss it. :blink:

205883[/snapback]

Rolltoomer expressed something that was bothering him and I trust that after he has had the benefit of other members of the AU family explaining the situation to him that this concern no longer exists. Its good to have a place to go and ask questions to other AU people. Personally, I believe these comments have helped RT better understand. Everyone hasn't had the same experiences.

Think of this as an educational sight also. Just imagine how much the UATers could learn just by reading the comments on this board. They might actually wise up and get there heads out of their rear ends.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Archived