Late Season collapse on defense

StatTiger

A lot has been made about our defensive collapse in the last 4 games of the season. I went back to look at the numbers and to compare our defensive numbers from our first 8 games to the last 4 games of the season. With the increase in competition, we should have expected a drop off, which was evident by the numbers below. With this in mind, I also looked at our defense from last year, comparing the numbers from the first 9 games of the season to the last 4 games of the season. Much like this year, the competition during the last 4 games was much greater than the competition from the first 9 games.

During the 2005 season, our opponents had a win pct of .488 during the first 4 games and a win pct of .673 in the last 4 games. In 2004, our opponent's had a win pct of .461 during the first 9 games and a win pct of .735 in the last 4 games.

*The numbers in bold are the averages from the 2004 season.

Yards per game allowed:

First 8 games: 268.9 ( 264.7 )

Last 4 games: 408.0 ( 306.7 )

Plays allowed per TD:

First 8 games: 60.5 ( 50.8 )

Last 4 games: 24.7 ( 27.6 )

Avg yards per play:

First 8 games: 4.44 ( 4.26 )

Last 4 games: 6.00 ( 5.55 )

TD and scoring pct:

First 8 games: 8% TD / 16% score ( 10% / 14 % )

Last 4 games: 22% TD / 36% score ( 19% / 23% )

3rd down pct:

First 8 games: 31% ( 28% )

Last 4 games: 38% ( 27% )

1st down avg per play:

First 8 games: 4.91 ( 4.55 )

Last 4 games: 7.84 ( 6.97 )

Pts allowed per game:

First 8 games: 10.9 ( 9.7 )

Last 4 games: 29.5 ( 15.0 )

Big plays allowed per play ( 30yds or more ):

First 8 games: 1 every 48.4 plays ( 50. 8 )

Last 4 games: 1 every 22.7 plays ( 36.8 )

It's clear that Chizik was the better DC against the tougher competition.

:au::football::cheer:

I wish Tuberville would have hired a DC who had a clue as to what they were doing. It will be interesting to see if this guy is let go. There is no excuses, we had the players on defense, but the coaching was sub par.

I have become displeased with Gibbs somewhat here at the end of the season. Really don't like that he didn't show up at a press conference.

I have to wonder though, how much of this is losing Rosegreen and Rogers also. Mean people didn't even throw in Rogers direction and Chizik could use everyone to cover the other side of the field.

We have been constantly plugging and repluggin DB's and safties all year, perhaps the talent level is short their atm. Coaches don't blow coverages. We here all year long about David Irons and his pro abilities but then yesterday with 3rd and 10 and UW in their own endzone he loses his man by 5 yards, NFL DB's just don't do that at the college level. Not picking on him btw, but just that situation right there makes me think that our secondary experience and talent wise has been lacking all year. That was our best DB getting burned in a critical period.

Rosegreen and Rogers were HUGE in our defense last year, and I think through the year we have found out how huge they were.

I wish Tuberville would have hired a DC who had a clue as to what they were doing.  It will be interesting to see if this guy is let go.  There is no excuses, we had the players on defense, but the coaching was sub par.

208608[/snapback]

Yeah, they're going to fire a guy after one year in which he put up good numbers, including total domination of Alabama, Mr. Itchy Trigger. :rolleyes:

I wish Tuberville would have hired a DC who had a clue as to what they were doing.  It will be interesting to see if this guy is let go.  There is no excuses, we had the players on defense, but the coaching was sub par.

208608[/snapback]

Yeah, they're going to fire a guy after one year in which he put up good numbers, including total domination of Alabama, Mr. Itchy Trigger. :rolleyes:

208675[/snapback]

Yeah I really don't think they will fire Gibbs, granted we had a meltdown @ :uk: but was that not trying out some players for the :uga: game. Shockley just pulled a Matt Jones on us, the complete domination of bammer was just wonderful :big: .

Archived