Spurrier pays visit to ‘Brother’ Oliver

Tigermike

Posted on Thu, Feb. 09, 2006

Spurrier pays visit to ‘Brother’ Oliver

Former Alabama defensive coach talks to ex-rival about USC opening

By JOSEPH PERSON

Staff Writer

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier has talked with a longtime rival about joining the Gamecocks’ defensive staff.

According to multiple sources, Spurrier met this week with Bill “Brother” Oliver, the former defensive coordinator at Alabama and Auburn who has been out of coaching for seven years.

Spurrier visited Oliver’s lake house near Alexander City, Ala., on Tuesday to discuss the Gamecocks’ vacancy. Spurrier is looking for a replacement for co-defensive coordinator John Thompson, who received a $101,000 contract settlement in January after being demoted midway through the 2005 season.

Oliver declined to comment about the USC position when reached at home Wednesday. Attempts to reach Spurrier were unsuccessful.

On Feb. 1, during a signing day news conference, Spurrier said he hoped to make the hire within a week to 10 days. Houston Texans defensive backs coach Jon Hoke, who turned down an offer to become USC’s defensive coordinator before Thompson was hired, recently was retained by new Texans coach Gary Kubiak.

Given his long track record, it is doubtful the 66-year-old Oliver would come to Columbia without the coordinator’s title.

Gamecocks co-defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix, who took over the defense from Thompson, was given the additional title of assistant head coach following the season. Spurrier said he would not assign specific coaching duties until he fills out his staff.

Oliver, a native of Epes in rural west Alabama, won a national championship as a player under legendary Alabama coach Bear Bryant in 1961. He also was a part of three national titles as a coach at Alabama in 1978, ’79, and 1992, when Oliver led a dominating defense for a Crimson Tide team that finished 13-0 under Gene Stallings.

Oliver coached defensive backs at Clemson from 1986-89 and had two stints at both Alabama and Auburn. Hired as Auburn’s defensive coordinator in 1996, Oliver took over as the Tigers’ head coach when Terry Bowden quit with five games remaining in the 1998 season.

After Tommy Tuberville was hired before the ’99 season, Oliver sued Auburn, claiming school officials reneged on their promise to name him head coach after Bowden resigned. He received $210,000 from Auburn in August 1999 following a court-ordered mediation session.

Besides facing Oliver’s defenses in the SEC when he was Florida’s head coach, Spurrier also matched wits with Oliver when both coached in the USFL in the mid-1980s. Spurrier was head coach of the Tampa Bay Bandits when Oliver was the defensive coordinator of the Memphis Showboats.

Since leaving Auburn, Oliver has done some consulting work and enjoyed life on Lake Martin, located between Auburn and Birmingham.

“When I used to coach, I loved to fish,” said Oliver, who has a daughter who lives in Charleston. “Now that I have all the time in the world, I don’t like to fish anymore. I’m trying to get better playing golf.”

Reach Person at (803) 771-8496 or jperson@thestate.com

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/13826311.htm

Bill Oliver's coaching credentials are legendary. But I can't imagine that if I was a head coach that I would want to hire anyone as a DC who had been out of the game for 7 years. Seems like an awfully big risk to me. Maybe defense is defense and it doesn't really matter that much.

Just my $.02

zeebish

I'm sure Spurrier promised Brother the head coaching position when the ole ball coach retires. And Oliver will get pissed when he's passed over and sue the Lamecock administration.

The media people up here are going ape-**** about this and possibly expecting a press conference at 3:30 central time to address this. Very interesting. This is what i would call an unholy alliance, but I would love to see it happen.

Ego at its finist.

If BO does come back to coaching, I really wonder what his motivation is. Surely not $. He has been able to live for 7 years without that "fire" in is belly and extra $ in his pocket. The past several weeks he has commented on several of the younger coaches in our league (particularly CWM). I wonder if this hasn't stirred his ego into wanting to show that he still is the "teacher". I know he was real good in his day but I wonder if he still has the fire and desire to coach at the sec level for any length of time -- he is 66 years old. Offenses have changed and so has the speed of the game. 7 years is a long time to be away from the planning and on-the-field coaching action. Also, the talent he will have at usc will not be what he is used to. There was talk several years ago that CSS was interested in BO for the DC position at Florida. I could see it then, but not now.

One last thing -- I wonder what kind of play it will have in the Rev. Jessie Jackson's camp if Nix is demoted or moved aside to let a 66 year old white coach who has been out of coaching for 7 years have his job??????????

The media people up here are going ape-**** about this and possibly expecting a press conference at 3:30 central time to address this. Very interesting. This is what i would call an unholy alliance, but I would love to see it happen.

219137[/snapback]

I think Spurrier and Oliver are actually good friends. I would like to think that

Auburn's new DC is a big factor in this. Especially with all the praise that

Oliver had to say about him. Even though the game has maybe passed by Oliver

he probably still can bring something to it.

I hope CSS wears a flak jacket aromund Oliver. It will never be too long before CBO draws out the knife and buries it in your back.

At Spurrier's press conference, Tyrone Nix was confirmed as DC, but no longer the assistant Head Coach. I understand they are now only looking for a DL coach. Don't think its gonna be Brother Bill at all anymore.

At Spurrier's press conference, Tyrone Nix was confirmed as DC, but no longer the assistant Head Coach. I understand they are now only looking for a DL coach. Don't think its gonna be Brother Bill at all anymore.

219196[/snapback]

Mike Dubose would probably resign as the new Millsap head coach to be the DL coach at :usc:

:big:

Archived