Hooplah

AWK

Pete, I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I'm having some trouble understanding the BCS new fifth game. Hypothetically, next year, if there are three teams that have a legitimate claim at a national championship shot (let's say Oklahoma, USC, and Auburn [like a few years ago]) would, say, Oklahoma and USC play, while Auburn would play another team, with the winner playing in the fifth for the national championship?  Or would there simply be two more teams added to the BCS, and then the computers would decide who plays for the title?  If the latter, what's the point of the extra game? –KS

A: There are simply two more teams added to the BCS for a total of ten in the big money games. The new BCS game will be an add-on national title game taking the top two teams according to the final BCS rankings.

Your other scenario is a playoff, and while the fifth game is nothing more than an extra bowl, it does give fans hope for an easy transition to a true national title game taking the top two teams after the bowl season. As I keep saying, it will be really, really easy for, someday, the number one team in the final BCS rankings to play the number four team in one bowl, and the number two and three teams to play in another, and then the two winners play each other in the new, extra BCS game. Unfortunately, that’s not the way it is this season.

No Jinxing, just made me smile :cheer::au:

ask CFN

Archived