Scrimmage Report

Caveman

From the infromation provide, it sounds like the offense had a much better day, and the defense mananged 16 sacks. Also looks like the linebacker move for Herring will be a good one.

LINK

A few things from the article I liked reading:

Senior running back Tre Smith led the Auburn offense with 94 yards rushing, 55 yards receiving and two touchdowns...

...On the ground, Smith was followed by freshman Ben Tate, who had 83 yards on 18 carries and a touchdown. Brad Lester totalled 56 yards on 20 attempts and a touchdown, while Kenny Irons ended the day with 11 rushes for 53 yards.

"Tre ran the ball well. He looks like he has lost some weight and has gotten his quickness back," Tuberville said. "He is working hard. He wants that starting position back."

Smith also led the team with nine receptions...

I like seeing the running backs push each other (as long as the can do so in a non-selfish, ego-less way). It can't help but make them all better (See Ronnie Brown, Carnell, & Tre). Speaking of Tre, but I can't help but admire his "never quit" attitude.
On the defensive side of the ball, linebacker Will Herring led the team with 14 tackles, including 2.5 tackles for loss and two sacks.
It would seem he's making the switch to linebacker without a problem! Just hope he's not out-muscled through sheer size anytime next fall.
Auburn special teams were perfect for the day as John Vaughn and Zack Kutch each hit all three field goal attempts from distances of 24, 37 and 42 yards while Matt Clark hit field goals from 37 and 42 yards.
:thumbsup: I hope we can be automatic inside of 40 yards and pretty certain out to 50 next year.

if travis and a.t. weren't out muscled, will won't be out muscled. he's bigger than they ever thought about being. sounds like we're doing some good things and some bad things. oline's gotta be better, but maybe the blitz packages are just that effective.

We have got a ways to go with our OTs. This is the position that I think will decide how we perform this fall. How are our TEs doing with their blocking? This may also be a problem with the sacks. We are more athletic but not as physically strong. Pass blocking and running the hot routs on blitzs may be a problem here also.

Herring is a natural at LB. We should be stronger in the middle with this switch. Sounds like the D speed is even better, especially with Blackmon at outside LB and Davis at strong safety. Tate should push Kenny and make us better. Everybody else may be playing for backup time. Stewart could be the next Fred Beasley if he switches to FB.

Glad to see him having a good scrimmage. I'd like to see him finish his career on a high note.

Somehow I knew vatzy would find a way to put a negative spn on anything positive said about Tre. :P

Guest Tigrinum Major
Somehow I knew vatzy would find a way to put a negative spn on anything positive said about Tre. :P

224780[/snapback]

It is true, however. Eddie Gran was quoted as saying that he looked good, but if he put the ball on the ground, he wouldn't be playing.

Archived