Kirk Herbstreit's top 5 teams

AWK

Well, to say I wasn't surprised would be an understatement. Check out #5, the fact that he picked us made my jaw hit the floor. Then, I realized that he didnt pick West Virginia, and I could hear the ramblings from the many trailer parks across West Virginia here in Birmingham. Notre Dame as #1.........go figure

Click on the ESPN Motion player

#1 Notre Dame

#2 USC

#3 Texas

#4 Ohio State

#5 Auburn

I'd like to think we're top 5 right now but I don't know if that's justified with the way we ended the season. I still have bad taste in my mouth after the Badgers ripped us a new one. Oh wait, that's actually a rotten peanut I ate that tastes bad. Sorry.

We'll have every chance to prove we belong this year and we have the horses to do it. I just want to see our new wide receiver corp and the interior of our defense at work before I get too hyped about top 5 status.

i for one am tired of playing the 'underdog' card. it's time to embrace our spot as one of the best teams in all the land. i'll take that #5 and raise you. war damn herbstreit. :cheer:

(sorry, really strong coffee this morning. yowzers. :blink: )

Herbie has been a fan of Auburn for some time now. I believe the riff between he and Tuberville probably was good for a few extra points, but he has spoken well of the program over the last several years.

I agree though, it is time to embrace the top 5 as Auburn fans. We have too long waded in the paranoia hoping the "experts" don't pick them too high so that we can fly under the radar.

I for one want everyone to know where Auburn is and how well the program is advancing. I mean, we gotta have pride in our South Georgia program, you know...the War Eagles. :poke:

I just don't think lightening is going to strick twice for USC and a brand new QB is going to take them to the top spot or even #2. Of his top 5 teams, only 3 of them have experienced, returning QBs, and that is the really the key to going 11-1 or 12-0...

I agree Auburn deserves to be in the top 5 and we need to stop freaking out everytime someone says that Auburn is going to be good, Lets face it from now on Au will be in the top ten year in and out!

I don't buy Herbstreit picking us at #5 for a second. I personally don't like Herbstreit cause he's for you one week then against you the next. He's arrogant and cocky to boot. Him and Corso both always promote the top 2 teams in the country every week as the National Championship game. All last year they promoted Texas/Usc as the NC game and never mentioned many other teams. You can't say that they don't set teams up to lose. They went to Tuscaloosa to watch LSU beat Bama, and they went to Jacksonville to watch Florida beat Georgia. So quite frankly they have no respect for the SEC and I don't buy that #5 pick for a second.

I just don't think lightening is going to strick twice for USC and a brand new QB is going to take them to the top spot or even #2.  Of his top 5 teams, only 3 of them have experienced, returning QBs, and that is the really the key to going 11-1 or 12-0...

226457[/snapback]

Texas doesn't have an experienced QB, but they have loads of talent and experience coming back all around. They will be tough, albeit, if VY stayed probably gunning for antoher MNC, but new QB could be that one or two losses. I think West Virginia is going to be very good. I would have put WVU in over USC. It will for sure be a fun year.

I don't mind Auburn being #5 in Kirk's little poll, not like it has any bearing on the season which is still a few months from even August. The LSU folks on tigerdroppings are pissing and moaning cause Kirk didn't give them any respect and Auburn has no business being in the Top 5, actually Ohio State has no business being in the Top 2, anybody look at what they lost on defense?

Archived