Dennis Dodds Preseason top 25

WarTiger

Top 25

It's that annual rite of spring.

No, not Billy Packer ripping teams he has never seen play. Not Barry Bonds stiffing reporters while his stiffened muscles continue to "grow." Not mock(ed) drafts. Not Canucks-Oilers on OLN.

Will Jim Tressel and Troy Smith be all smiles after the Fiesta Bowl? (Getty Images)

Will Jim Tressel and Troy Smith be all smiles after the Fiesta Bowl? (Getty Images)

It's the annual (more or less) CBS SportsLine.com spring Top 25. There will be more poll dancing before September, but for now our No. 1 hasn't changed. Be warned, though. College football is a moving target and, with apologies to the vice prez, we've got the shotgun.

1. Ohio State: The Kool-Aid has been distributed. Everybody ready? Drink. Troy Smith is this year's Vince Young. Ted Ginn Jr. will be better, at least more consistent. A new killer defense starts being assembled March 30 when spring practice starts. Besides, who else are you going to put up here?

It's still early but ... the Texas game (in Austin) looms large. The Bucks are aiming at this even more now that the Horns are defending national champs. Texas will be favored. Ohio State must avoid going all in emotionally. There's a long season ahead.

2. LSU: RB Alley Broussard has a knee. Quarterback JaMarcus Russell is nursing a shoulder. Sugar Bowl hero Justin Vincent is hobbled by an injury. What are we going to learn about the Tigers this spring? If nothing else, even more is expected after last year's hurricane-ravaged 11-2 season.

It's still early but ... don't assume that the spring battle between Matt Flynn and Ryan Perrilloux is merely for No. 2 behind Russell. Also, LSU finally has run out of all-star defensive tackles. Replacements must be found for Claude Wroten and Kyle Williams.

3. West Virginia: Everybody's sexy 2006 pick. Why not? The Mountaineers went 11-1 and beat Georgia at "home" in the Sugar Bowl with a young roster that will only get better. The only schedule concerns are Thursday night games at Louisville and Pittsburgh. Can you spell F-i-e-s-t-a?

It's still early but ... remember how coach Rich Rodriguez came from Tulane and Clemson with a reputation as a spread offense guy? The truth his, he adjusts his scheme to his personnel better than anyone. Pat White threw only 114 times last year.

4. Auburn: A true SEC power, the Tigers are 26-4 in their past 30 games. Tommy Tuberville needs only to tinker with the offensive line to get ready for 2006. Auburn was an overtime loss to LSU away from playing in the SEC Championship Game. Shades of 2004 -- let's hope the preseason schedule isn't too weak just in case (and by that we mean just in case Auburn goes undefeated). The Weakling Four are Washington State, Buffalo, Arkansas State and Tulane.

It's still early but ... the Tigers might have to go to a two-tailback set because of a spring injury to fullback Mike McLaughlin. Tuberville has done it before with Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown.

5. Notre Dame: The defense must get better. The memory of Ohio State rolling up a Notre Dame opponent bowl-record 617 yards in the Fiesta Bowl can't be pleasant. Everybody knows Brady Quinn will compete for the Heisman. It would be great for the defense to break into the top 50 in total defense. (It was 75th last year, allowing almost 400 yards per game).

It's still early but ... we can't stress enough the defense needs lots of work. The secondary was porous but isn't that a product of a front seven that can't put pressure on the quarterback? Take away the seven sacks against Stanford and ND averaged only two per game.

6. Oklahoma: Bob Stoops was due a "down" year, but a strong finish in an 8-4 season raises hopes again. Adrian Peterson is rededicated. Rhett Bomar gets it at quarterback. Most of the offense is back. We somehow feel that Stoops will be able to build a defense.

It's still early but ... the offensive line needs work. Spring practice started Monday. Get ready for reps, reps, reps for a line that loses four starters.

7. Texas: Save your e-mails, Orangebloods. There is a reason Oklahoma is ranked higher. Call us heretics but we're thinking your guys might lose at least one this year, and one of them might be to OU. The Sooners will have had a year to think about the thrashing last year in Dallas.

It's still early but ... this ranking is very tentative. Colt McCoy doesn't have to be a superstar at quarterback. If the Horns beat Ohio State and everything falls right, they could be back in the national championship game.

8. USC: Still the class of the Pac-10. And there's no reason to believe there will be much of a drop off at quarterback (John David Booty) or running back (tailback Herschel Dennis has 968 career rushing yards). Six starters return on defense, the weak spot in 2005. This team could easily win 10 games.

It's still early but ... the linebacking corps of Oscar Lua, Keith Rivers, Brian Cushing and freshman All-American Rey Maualuga could be the best in the country.

9. Florida: Year 2 under Urban Meyer, which means big things if you consider his past at Bowling Green and Utah. An up-and-down first year produced nine victories. Not too shabby. Now the Gators will be favored to win the SEC East.

It's still early but ... Meyer has threatened to play without a running back if someone doesn't step up. The Gators averaged less than 150 yards per game rushing last year.

10. Georgia: Maybe the Dawgs are overvalued here in the top 10 but we have faith in Mark Richt. D.J. Shockley sat around for four years. That was an upset in itself. Then he had a spectacular senior season. We have faith that Joe (Three Sticks) Tereshinski III or freshman Matthew Stafford will be able to get it done this year. This is a fantastic staff that continually is able to rebuild.

It's still early but ... how can you not pencil this team in for nine wins based on history alone?

11. Oregon: If USC slips, the Ducks are ready to take over the Pac-10. Everything is in place for a Rose Bowl run.

It's still early but ... Mike Bellotti is well on his way to rebuilding the defensive line that was the strength of the team last year. Get used to the name David Faaeteete, who will take over for All-American Haloti Ngata.

12. Virginia Tech: The Marcus Vick saga is ended, thankfully. That means Sean Glennon will get a clear shot at quarterback.

It's still early but ... expect Tech to win a second consecutive Coastal Division title. With Miami in flux, the Hokies could win the ACC title they blew last season.

13. Iowa: The Hawkeyes were our darlings last spring. We're hedging this time although the Ohio State game is at home and there's an easy September schedule.

It's still early but ... After the loss of Chad Greenway and Abdul Hodge at linebacker, things don't look bleak. Mike Klinkenborg and Mike Humpal saw extensive action.

14. Boston College: If quarterback Matt Ryan is going to progress, senior receiver Tony Gonzalez has to step up.

It's still early but ... is an Atlantic Division title out of the question? The Eagles have to go to Miami and Florida State.

15. Louisville: Bobby Petrino keeps looking at other jobs (Oakland was the latest) and the Cardinals keep winning. If not West Virginia in the Big East, then it's The 'Ville.

It's still early but ... Cards fans already are looking forward to Armageddon games at home against Miami (Sept. 16) and West Virginia (Nov. 2).

16. California: Nathan Longshore is back at quarterback. The Bears are two-headed at tailback (Marshawn Lynch, Justin Forsett). There are eight returners on defense.

It's still early but ... look for the offense to be even better. Northwestern assistant Mike Dunbar joins the staff. The Wildcats were No. 4 nationally in total offense last year.

17. Clemson: Can it be, Charlie Whitehurst leaves and the Tigers are better?

It's still early but ... the answer is yes. Will Proctor now has the job to himself and running back James Davis is a budding star. Kicker Jad Dean has shown he can win close games.

18. TCU: Everybody's favorite to break into the BCS. Eleven starters are gone but Gary Patterson isn't. As long as the sixth-year coach is around, the Frogs will be competitive.

It's still early but ... at least SMU isn't on the schedule. How do you explain a season in which TCU won at Oklahoma but lost to the Mustangs? We'll know about these guys by the night of Oct. 5. Baylor, Texas Tech, BYU and Utah are the first four opponents.

19. Penn State: Anthony Morelli has the receivers but does he have Michael Robinson's leadership qualities?

It's still early but ... the best thing that happened to the defense was the knee injury to Paul Posluszny. It kept him out of the NFL and in State College where JoePa will need him badly.

20. Michigan: What can the Wolverines do for an encore? Hopefully nothing much worse. They are coming off their worst record since 1984.

It's still early but ... this is a pivotal year for, Lloyd Carr who must get Michigan back among the elite. A top 10 finish and victory over Ohio State wouldn't hurt.

21. Miami: Let the hate mail begin. Twenty-first? You bet. Upheaval in the coaching staff. Not quite top flight that Miami is used to. Plus, the ACC has proved to be a witch.

It's still early but ... No. 21 for the Canes is about right. The No. 21 team in the final AP poll was Clemson. The Tigers finished 8-4.

22. Nebraska: With no one else stepping up, the Huskers should win the watered-down Big 12 North.

It's still early but ... two fantastic recruiting classes should begin to contribute -- or else. 23. Florida State: AD Dave Hart complained about the FSU hoops team not getting into the tournament but he gladly collected a $17 million check for football going 8-5? Something's not right there.

It's early but ... the rushing offense has to get better. Being 109th in the country simply isn't acceptable.

24. Georgia Tech: Is this team a factor in the Coastal Division or just another 7-5 squad? The whole program must become more consistent starting with quarterback Reggie Ball.

It's still early but ... Oklahoma transfer Tashard Choice should start at tailback. Two years ago he backed up Peterson at OU. Last year he was behind P.J. Daniels. There could be great balance on offense with receiver Calvin Johnson ready to win the Biletnikoff.

25. UCLA: The Bruins won't win 10 again, but there is enough left to get to a bowl.

It's still early but ... the spring reports on quarterback Ben Olson were not glowing. The former BYU recruit hasn't played organized football in three years.

Ten To Watch

Alabama

Boise State

Fresno State

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas Tech

Toledo

UCF (Central Florida)

Wisconsin

Utah

WHAT? uat not in the top 25? How can this be? bg has already told us how STRONG they are and how the newcomers will be just as good if not better than the SENIORS they lost. :blink:

Go get 'em bg! :D

I'm really kind of surprised that he didn't have Tennessee in the 25 somewhere. I honestly think that with the newly re-hired OC, their offense will be much better this year. Their defense was great last year and there's no reason to think it won't at least be close to that again. I would have them coming in at about 17 or 18, but that's just me.

I can deal with us being 4th, but what I cant deal with is West Virginia being so highly ranked. Mark my words, they will lose at least two games next year. Remember how high Iowa was ranked last year in the preseason, same scenario.

I predict that USC will become the Nebraska of the 90s. Look for them to be off the radar screen very soon into the season (hopefully after the Hogs take their revenge this year).

Just FYI, Nebraska was a "powerhouse" in the 90s for a few years...the beloved media darlings...now where are they? I think they still have a football team, so I had to look...

...and I just found this page, stating that Auburn has 4 National Championships. If you include 2004, that brings our MNC total to 5, using Bammer logic. Not bad at all.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

I can deal with us being 4th, but what I cant deal with is West Virginia being so highly ranked. Mark my words, they will lose at least two games next year. Remember how high Iowa was ranked last year in the preseason, same scenario.

exactly!

the guy is concerned about our schedule, look at the teams they may have trouble with and these two schools have not and never will become national powerhouses.

The only schedule concerns are Thursday night games at Louisville and Pittsburgh. Can you spell F-i-e-s-t-a?

WHAT?  uat not in the top 25?  How can this be?  bg has already told us how STRONG they are and how the newcomers will be just as good if not better than the SENIORS they lost. :blink:

Go get 'em bg!  :D

226723[/snapback]

Dodd has a history of showing an obvious bias against Alabama. Even self admittedly so.

Guest Tigrinum Major
WHAT?  uat not in the top 25?  How can this be?  bg has already told us how STRONG they are and how the newcomers will be just as good if not better than the SENIORS they lost. :blink:

226723[/snapback]

Dodd has a history of showing an obvious bias against Alabama. Even self admittedly so.

226768[/snapback]

I heart Dennis Dodd.

226745[/snapback]

Here's West Virginia's schedule. They will be 6-0 going into Louisville. Their toughest games will be L'ville, Pitt, USF, and Rutgers. Who believes USF and Rutgers will be as good as last year?? WVU has a real good chance at running the table. They return most of if not all of the skill players that torched UGA in the Sugar. That Oct 7 game at Starkville will get ugly quick.

9-2-06 MARSHALL

9-14-06 MARYLAND (Thur.)

9-23-06 at East Carolina

10-7-06 at Mississippi State

10-14-06 SYRACUSE

10-20-06 at Connecticut (Fri.)

11-2-06 at Louisville (Thur.)

11-11-06 CINCINNATI

11-16-06 at Pittsburgh (Thur.)

11-25-06 SOUTH FLORIDA

12-2-06 RUTGERS

I do think So. Cal wil drop off the charts after Arky gives them some payback. Arky is not going to be a pushover like last year. Don't we know the Arky players have that opening game circled for a blood letting of some trojans!!!! I hope Nutt does run the score up!!! He better or some hawg fans will be pissed.

226745[/snapback]

Here's West Virginia's schedule. They will be 6-0 going into Louisville. Their toughest games will be L'ville, Pitt, USF, and Rutgers. Who believes USF and Rutgers will be as good as last year?? WVU has a real good chance at running the table. They return most of if not all of the skill players that torched UGA in the Sugar. That Oct 7 game at Starkville will get ugly quick.

9-2-06 MARSHALL

9-14-06 MARYLAND (Thur.)

9-23-06 at East Carolina

10-14-06 SYRACUSE

11-11-06 CINCINNATI

11-25-06 SOUTH FLORIDA

12-2-06 RUTGERS

I do think So. Cal wil drop off the charts after Arky gives them some payback. Arky is not going to be a pushover like last year. Don't we know the Arky players have that opening game circled for a blood letting of some trojans!!!! I hope Nutt does run the score up!!! He better or some hawg fans will be pissed.

226842[/snapback]

9-2-06 MARSHALL

9-14-06 MARYLAND (Thur.) Possible L

9-23-06 at East Carolina

10-14-06 SYRACUSE Possible L

11-2-06 at Louisville (Thur.)Possible L

11-11-06 CINCINNATI Possible L

11-16-06 at Pittsburgh (Thur.)Possible L

11-25-06 SOUTH FLORIDA

12-2-06 RUTGERS

They will lose at least two of those games. Iowa 05 = WV 06

WVU losses their best two secondary players to an already bad secondary.

If someone can get their front four (which we couldnt) to make a solid line....a team can beat WVU

226745[/snapback]

9-2-06 MARSHALL

9-14-06 MARYLAND (Thur.)

9-23-06 at East Carolina

10-14-06 SYRACUSE

11-11-06 CINCINNATI

11-25-06 SOUTH FLORIDA

12-2-06 RUTGERS

226842[/snapback]

9-2-06 MARSHALL

9-23-06 at East Carolina

11-25-06 SOUTH FLORIDA

12-2-06 RUTGERS

226853[/snapback]

Sorry, I don't see Syracuse or Cincinnati being that big of a threat, except maybe in basketball. Neither have been good in a few years, Cincy I don't think ever. Maryland will give them all they can handle, I would grant that. I'll say 11-1 with the lose @ Pitt. Why are they playing so many Thursday night games????

Guest Tigrinum Major

Sorry, I don't see Syracuse or Cincinnati being that big of a threat, except maybe in basketball.  Neither have been good in a few years, Cincy I don't think ever. 

226921[/snapback]

Cincy was good, back when they had Kenny Anderson and then Boomer...

Why are they playing so many Thursday night games????

226921[/snapback]

Because the Big East is now one step away from being the MAC.

226745[/snapback]

9-2-06 MARSHALL

9-14-06 MARYLAND (Thur.)

9-23-06 at East Carolina

10-14-06 SYRACUSE

11-11-06 CINCINNATI

11-25-06 SOUTH FLORIDA

12-2-06 RUTGERS

226842[/snapback]

9-2-06 MARSHALL

9-23-06 at East Carolina

11-25-06 SOUTH FLORIDA

12-2-06 RUTGERS

226853[/snapback]

Sorry, I don't see Syracuse or Cincinnati being that big of a threat, except maybe in basketball. Neither have been good in a few years, Cincy I don't think ever. Maryland will give them all they can handle, I would grant that. I'll say 11-1 with the lose @ Pitt. Why are they playing so many Thursday night games????

226921[/snapback]

Syracuse will be decent next year...good enough to beat WVU, and Cincinatti was Average last year with more returning starters

226745[/snapback]

9-2-06 MARSHALL

9-14-06 MARYLAND (Thur.)

9-23-06 at East Carolina

10-14-06 SYRACUSE

11-11-06 CINCINNATI

11-25-06 SOUTH FLORIDA

12-2-06 RUTGERS

226842[/snapback]

9-2-06 MARSHALL

9-23-06 at East Carolina

11-25-06 SOUTH FLORIDA

12-2-06 RUTGERS

226853[/snapback]

Ummmmm.... you put Cincinnati as a possible loss (at home), when you left UConn at the road off. UConn did pretty well last year didn't they? And USF and Rutgers I can only imagine having better shots... I didn't even know Cincy had a football team. I thought this was one of those Big East football to basketball conversions where some of the teams don't exist in football, but do in basketball but switched. Cincy has a football team? I know I'm getting old and forgetfull, but what was the last thing they ever did?

WVU will prolly run the table, maybe a loss if we're lucky. Hopefully the coaches won't be paying attention to any of their games because they'll be too busy getting their teams ready for the following morning SATURDAY game... when football is MEANT to be played. The writers - hopefully they are too busy getting ready into their press box for whatever game they are attending the following SATURDAY to watch them. This is why the Big East is not up there with the SEC and others - because they can't even compete with us on a national scene when it comes to television. They may have destroyed Georgia, but they can't do it week in and week out. God, if they got into the NC with that schedule, that's pathetic.

They may have destroyed Georgia, but they can't do it week in and week out.

226986[/snapback]

With all due respect to Georgia, the game was 38-35....And that brings me to agreeing with your other point. WV is inconsistent... although that schedule is a complete joke, I dont believe they will come to play every quarter all season long.

You're right. I guess when I just think of a team like WVU beating the SEC Champions (weren't they like up 21-0 or something at one point?), I consider that destroying, regardless of the score.

Auburn has no excuses this year. I think the schedule is tougher than expected.

If Auburn is prepared (coaching staff take note) and don't pull any Wisconsin

type games it will be a special year for the Tigers. :cheer:

226723[/snapback]

Very little offense, and a rebuilt defense (lost SEVEN seniors)...doesn't lead to anything BUT hope for the Bamars....

:au::homer:

226745[/snapback]

9-2-06 MARSHALL

9-14-06 MARYLAND (Thur.)

9-23-06 at East Carolina

10-14-06 SYRACUSE

11-11-06 CINCINNATI

11-25-06 SOUTH FLORIDA

12-2-06 RUTGERS

226842[/snapback]

Yeah...and their strength of schedule is so AWESOME...I can see why they'd be ranked so high. ;)

226723[/snapback]

Very little offense, and a rebuilt defense (lost SEVEN seniors)...doesn't lead to anything BUT hope for the Bamars....

227075[/snapback]

and more of those famous well, we won the 3rd quarter "moral victories" :big::au:

Archived