Ben Tate goes the whole Nine Yards

AWK

This was an article from his Hometown Newspaper, in Maryland.

SNOW HILL -- Former Snow Hill High and current Auburn University running back Ben Tate readily admits he still has a little trouble finding all his classes down on the plains of Alabama, but that doesn't make him a bad student by any stretch.

The National Alliance of African-American Athletes proved that at the Ocean City Convention Center on Monday night by honoring the Newark star as one of five finalists for the Watkins Award -- a prestigious national award initiated in 1992 to promote academic excellence among young African-American athletes.

Entrants submitted a transcript, a 1,000-word essay and letters of recommendation.

"He was always a good student, and he's never given me any trouble yet," said Tate's dad, Ben Sr. "There aren't too many parents who can say their son or daughter has never given them trouble."

Tate joins a list of successful finalists ranging from recently released Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington and Oakland Raiders wide receiver Ronald Curry to Memphis Grizzlies forward Shane Battier.

Unlike most high school luminaries who are honored as finalists, though, Tate just so happens to have run off to college already, having graduated a semester early from high school to enroll in college mid-year.

Reports from the Birmingham News and Mobile Register tout Tate as Auburn's next legendary running back already after a stellar spring practice, but the 17-year-old was away from the hype and back home among family and friends for Monday night's Watkins Award dinner reception.

While Tate talked about how quickly Auburn's defense would swarm around him and the size of Tigers' players, :)   Alliance executive director J. Everette Pearsall told the story about how Tate almost wasn't recognized for the award despite being the top qualified applicant.

"When he wasn't a finalist, I did the research to find out what was going on," Pearsall said. "The selectors said because he had a 2.8 GPA he lost major points. I requested a copy of his packet to see what was wrong. He actually had a 3.6 GPA, but he had a handwritten grade on his transcript that said 2.8," Pearsal said. "So he didn't get to fly out to (Los Angeles) like the other kids, but he's getting everything else."

But with more than 60 members of his football and real family in Ocean City getting a chance to catch up with Tate before his career takes off at Auburn, missing out on a trip to California was probably just fine.

He is smart as well as a freak athelete, some people are just blessed. Im glad he is an Auburn Tiger. :cheer:

Tate

Well once again I am not crowning him king just yet but I am very glad to see that he seems to have his head screwed on straight. Just another example of the kind of kids we are getting into our program.

I requested a copy of his packet to see what was wrong. He actually had a 3.6 GPA, but he had a handwritten grade on his transcript that said 2.8," Pearsal said.

Anyone want to be that 'The Machine' had a hand in this? :lol:

Was talking to a buddy from Snowhill (about 90 minutes down the road from me here in Maryland) about Tate last week. Seems Ben left some people with some bad feelings. They felt that he pulled himself out of some football games last year with minor bumps, as not to risk further injury.

I told him that Ben had a higher calling.

War Eagle, Snowhill !!!

I obviously don't live there so I don't know for sure but it seems to me that it is hard to say that the all time leading rusher pulled himself out of games. Sounds more like sour grapes from some Merry-land fans.

I obviously don't live there so I don't know for sure but it seems to me that it is hard to say that the all time leading rusher pulled himself out of games.  Sounds more like sour grapes from some Merry-land fans.

230391[/snapback]

I agree.....not that I really know. :D I feel he didnt want to be Tarapin, so he chose to come to Running Back U. You know, so he could win and have a future NFL career. :cheer:

Yeah, I was trying to find his HS yearly stats, and had no luck. Anybody seen them?

I dont know. People around here aren't really that interested in Terp football, so I would think they would actually be proud that a local boy got out of turtle-ville and is making waves at a real school.

Not sure why the sour grapes.

Don't know. D.J. Shockley (sp) had that rep in highschool. His father was the coach and he didn't even play against Lovejoy who had a killer team that year. Word was that he didn't want to get hurt....Or maybe it was more of his father didn't want him to get hurt. Anyway, I'm not sure how much truth is in any statement like that. You know how the rumor mill is.

Here are some I found:

As a junior, Tate ran 286 times for 2886 yards and an astonishing 41 touchdowns while earning consensus first-team All-State honors as a running back.

Tate: “I’m a ‘back that doesn’t like to go down on the first hit – I have a lot of effort when I run the ball. I’m big, power, and I’ve got speed, and great vision.â€Â

Ok, I guess not appropriate.....I did say Mancrush..jeeze

230501[/snapback]

haha, I thought it was funny.

Archived