Stumbled upon this article from last summer:

http://www.atomicsportsmedia.com/article_287.shtml

"They say the day you're born you must decide whether you're Crimson or Blue."

"My favorite team is Alabama and whoever's playing Auburn"

"Punt 'Bama, Punt"

"I'd prefer to beat that cow college once than beat Texas ten times"

"War Damn Eagle"

"Roll Tide"

Crimson or Blue?  They aren't just colors in the state of Alabama; they're a way of life.  Who are you?  How do you see yourself?  In Alabama, whether you're Crimson or Blue is part of who you are.  On the national scale, the Michigan-Ohio State game may cast a bigger shadow, but no rivalry in sports can match the passion and hatred between Alabama and Auburn.  The state of Alabama has no professional sports teams.  Alabama has college football, and it is what defines its people.  The Alabama/Auburn rivalry is the lifeblood that runs through the people 365 days a year.  On Christmas, New Year's, and Thanksgiving, the last Saturday of the season is always a topic of conversation.  The Iron Bowl can turn best friends into worst enemies, it can mend feuds, it can starts feuds.  They say it cannot truly be comprehended by an outsider who doesn't hear a radio broadcaster in May discussing the Iron Bowl.  No where else in the country can 60 minutes define an entire year.

I could go on and on about the great players, great plays, and nail biting games in this series.  But what makes this rivalry so great is, quite simply, the fans.  There are no weddings on the day of the Iron Bowl.  For all intensive purposes, that last Saturday of the season is holiday bigger than Christmas, and it makes or breaks your next 364 days.  Maybe you've never seen an Iron Bowl on TV.  Maybe you've never heard of the phrase "Punt ‘Bama, Punt."  Heck, maybe you didn't even know that Bo Jackson was a Tiger.  But this rivalry is no joke.  As sure as the sun will rise on the plains of Alabama, so will the topic of the Iron Bowl.  If you get a chance, try and catch the 2005 edition and look closely at the fans and the players because this one game is more than just 60 minutes of football.

Follow the link for the whole article and perhaps learn some more Iron Bowl history...I did..

Archived