SI's Mandel gives first power rankings

WeagleDMS

Here ya go. I personally don't see why everyone is so high on Texas. Without VY they lose to A&M as well as OKst. and while they may be loaded on D its gonna be tough with freshmen qbs.

10.  Auburn Tigers (9-3)  Key returnees: RB Kenny Irons, QB Brandon Cox, DE Marquies Gunn, LB Will Herring

Spring star: LB Tray Blackmon. The hard-hitting redshirt freshman won the starting weakside linebacker jo

Lowdown: New defensive coordinator Will Muschamp (Nick Saban's former aide) spent much of spring tinkering with his personnel, including moving productive safety Herring to linebacker. Irons gives the Tigers a powerful runner, but some new receivers will need to emerge.

Lank

I don't understand the thinking process of some "sports writers". Ohio State lost 9 out of 11 defensive starters from last year.......I wonder how many teams in the history of the NCAA have won MNC after such a loss?

I don't understand the thinking process of some "sports writers". Ohio State lost 9 out of 11 defensive starters from last year.......I wonder how many teams in the history of the NCAA have won MNC after such a loss?

232298[/snapback]

I guess you forgot that that stuff doesn't matter. I mean bama lost 7 of 11 and they are gonna win the MNC this year. Ohio State has tradition and that's a whole lot more important than D.

The annual slobbering over LSU has commenced.

Not sold.  Less (not more) Miles will prove to be a Curry, DiNardo, Shula.

232373[/snapback]

Me either. It all comes crashing down when his own players get in the system AND he has to coach them.

I have no reason to think aTm will win any games of any significance. Look what that coach (what's his name) has done to that program....

The annual slobbering over LSU has commenced.

Not sold.  Less (not more) Miles will prove to be a Curry, DiNardo, Shula.

232373[/snapback]

As an LSU fan I certainly hope that's not the case. However, I think the verdict is still out on Less. His first year was a good year considering what he faced with Katrina. However, it could of easily been a bad year if some of those close games would have gone the other way. If it wasn't for the Miami game I think many LSU fans would be down on Less. I think this year will give us a better barometer of his coaching abilities with the tough road schedule we have and hopefully no natural catastrophes hitting the area.

There is no way texas will lose to Oklahoma St. this year.. Maybe Oklahoma but not OK St.

232387[/snapback]

I phrased that poorly, I meant they would have lost to those teams last year. I definately pick OU over the horns this year though. Bomar(sp) looked good for OU at the end of the year and all you really have to do is beat UT in the Big 12 and your on your way.

and hopefully no natural catastrophes hitting the area.

232453[/snapback]

Understatement

232454[/snapback]

It's going to happen....it will be another VERY active hurricane season. I hope they stay out of the Gulf, but that just means the East Coast will get it.

It's going to happen....it will be another VERY active hurricane season.  I hope they stay out of the Gulf, but that just means the East Coast will get it.

232476[/snapback]

It hadn't happened before Katrina for 30+ years

Hoping for another 30 year window of no major hits

It's going to happen....it will be another VERY active hurricane season.  I hope they stay out of the Gulf, but that just means the East Coast will get it.

232476[/snapback]

232487[/snapback]

As one that went through Hurricane Ivan and saw the aftermath, I totally disagree with that statement. While not the overall total flooding experienced in NO, there are still people here with tarps on roof tops or remnants of tarps on roofs, and still homes that haven't been repaired or rebuilt. It may not have happened to NO for 30 years, but there are people in other parts of the country affected by natural disasters, particularly in the south with these hurricanes.

232476[/snapback]

232487[/snapback]

Not exactly football, but a question anyway: Are the repaired/rebuilt levies going to be stronger or weaker this season? I'm thinking if they're still in a weakened/patched condition, it won't take a moster like Katrina to break 'em again. A smaller storm or less direct hit might do so.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and my prayers going for you guys--and everyone close to the coast--in any case.

Wow, and to think this thread started off talking about Mandel's top 25??? ;)

Wow, and to think this thread started off talking about Mandel's top 25???  ;)

232510[/snapback]

So, how bout them Tigers?

232515[/snapback]

You mean the real ones in Auburn, or the faux-Tigers from down hurricane way?

...and speaking of hurricanes...

:poke: Sorry, I couldn't resist. :big: --back to football!

As one that went through Hurricane Ivan and saw the aftermath, I totally disagree with that statement.  While not the overall total flooding experienced in NO, there are still people here with tarps on roof tops or remnants of tarps on roofs, and still homes that haven't been repaired or rebuilt.  It may not have happened to NO for 30 years, but there are people in other parts of the country affected by natural disasters, particularly in the south with these hurricanes.

232492[/snapback]

The only statement I made was that something of this magnitude had not happened to New Orleans in 30+ years and am hoping for another window like that for the city.

Never was saying it hadn't happened to anyone else.

--Edited...I MEANT New Orleans in the previous statement....I realize I didn't say that now. Whoops

Not exactly football, but a question anyway:  Are the repaired/rebuilt levies going to be stronger or weaker this season?  I'm thinking if they're still in a weakened/patched condition, it won't take a moster like Katrina to break 'em again. A smaller storm or less direct hit might do so.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and my prayers going for you guys--and everyone close to the coast--in any case.

232501[/snapback]

The levees will not be anywhere near ready to head a storm...even a catagory 1 storm.

Just reported on our CBS news that the semi-protectable levees will not even be in place this storm season by the Army Corps. of Engineers.

The levees will need about 2-3 more years before they are fully in place.

Wow, and to think this thread started off talking about Mandel's top 25???  ;)

232510[/snapback]

So, how bout them Tigers?

232515[/snapback]

:big::cheer::au::cheer::big:

Hey, where is the big, bad ACC?

Not a one in the top ten...first sighting is #12 - FSU.

Big East WV in at #5...

did the ACC steel the wrong schools? B)

Big East WV in at #5...

did the ACC steel the wrong schools?  B)

232672[/snapback]

:roflol::roflol:

Big East WV in at #5...

did the ACC steel the wrong schools?  B)

232672[/snapback]

Nice one :poke:

Not exactly football, but a question anyway:  Are the repaired/rebuilt levies going to be stronger or weaker this season?  I'm thinking if they're still in a weakened/patched condition, it won't take a moster like Katrina to break 'em again. A smaller storm or less direct hit might do so.

232501[/snapback]

The levees will not be anywhere near ready to head a storm...even a catagory 1 storm.

Just reported on our CBS news that the semi-protectable levees will not even be in place this storm season by the Army Corps. of Engineers.

The levees will need about 2-3 more years before they are fully in place.

232553[/snapback]

Hate to keep hijacking this thread, but just ran across this report on the levees:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12518762/

NEW ORLEANS - It's a race New Orleans can't afford to lose — repair its hurricane protection system before the next storm season starts. The job is 73 percent finished, with 36 days to go, and the man in charge says it will be done June 1.

"Some people might consider that almost impossible, but we've been working 24-hour shifts, seven days a week, for the last eight months," says Brig. Gen. Robert Crear with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Three-thousand contract workers are repairing 169 miles of levees and flood walls at a cost of $798 million. Among the improvements: Three giant flood gates designed to stop storm surge from Lake Pontchartrain and newly designed walls where levees fell down. They are bigger, with deeper supports. South of the city, earthen levees are being rebuilt using better soil brought in from Mississippi.

Like many in New Orleans, Bob Thomas watches the work and wonders.

“[it’s] better than nothing,” the Loyola University professor says, “but not enough. People are just very nervous that the fixes that are going on and the repairs and things like that are going to be only on those areas, and other places are going to be weak.”

Army Corps crews only recently started inspecting more than 200 additional miles of levees that Katrina may have weakened. Upgrading the entire system to withstand a storm even stronger than Katrina is still years and billions of dollars off.

And there are other red flags. The New Orleans protection system relies on a complex network of pumping stations, many of which were submerged by Katrina. On Tuesday, an inch of rain fell on the city and three of its largest pumps broke down.

So I guess better in some ways but worse in others--unfortunately, the system is only as strong as its weakest link.

In addition, St. Bernard Parish which used to help slow the Hurricanes as they made their way to the city of New Orleans is now completely off-the-map thus only making it worse for the city if anything comes.

Archived