BG's man love of Joe Kines

BamaGrad03

I'll give you REAL stats..... 5 out of the last 6.How 'bout them numbers!! :lol:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Auburns avg (with bowl game) vs scoring offense - 76

Auburns avg (with bowl game) vs total offense - 82

Bama's adjusted for bowl game vs scoring offense- 69

Bama's adjusted for bowl game vs total offense - 75

Nice stats though...seriously

Interestingly enough...if you leave in your bowl game (by far best offensive team you faced all year) and leave out ours (same) we STILL played a tougher schedule of offenses....man how did you guys lose a game last year?

Guess you already knew those facts too huh pcola? pesky pesky

236591[/snapback]

What in the screaming blue flame does any of that have to do with Skeletor being a mediocre DC?

I love the way Bama fans think. Here's a basic rundown for you:

AU fan: Skeletor's not that great a DC. Bama didn't really play anybody with a potent offense and he benefitted from a senior-heavy squad.

Bama fan: Oh yeah? Nanny, nanny boo-boo. Ten win season. How did Auburn's defense do? Huh? How about that? Answer that, why don't you.

AU fan: What does that have to do with Skeletor?

Bama fan: Don't bring out the fact that we lost to AU last year, because that doesn't negate anything. 12 national championships. Tradition. Houndstooth. Look at the stats! Bama was great on defense last year.

AU fan: Again, Skeletor benefitted from a weak schedule and a senior-laden defense. One season doesn't erase his long reputation of bending (and breaking) a lot.

Bama fan: Oh yeah? How many points did Wisconsin score? Huh?

You see the trend? Pretty much ANYTHING to keep from acknowledging the obvious. Skeletor -- like bama itself -- is a dinosaur. One season doesn't change that.

Interestingly enough...if you leave in your bowl game (by far best offensive team you faced all year) and leave out ours (same) we STILL played a tougher schedule of offenses....man how did you guys lose a game last year?

236591[/snapback]

What in the screaming blue flame does any of that have to do with Skeletor being a mediocre DC?

AU fan: Skeletor's not that great a DC. Bama didn't really play anybody with a potent offense and he benefitted from a senior-heavy squad.

Bama fan: Oh yeah? Nanny, nanny boo-boo. Ten win season. How did Auburn's defense do? Huh? How about that? Answer that, why don't you.

Bama fan: Don't bring out the fact that we lost to AU last year, because that doesn't negate anything. 12 national championships. Tradition. Houndstooth. Look at the stats! Bama was great on defense last year.

AU fan: Again, Skeletor benefitted from a weak schedule and a senior-laden defense. One season doesn't erase his long reputation of bending (and breaking) a lot.

You see the trend? Pretty much ANYTHING to keep from acknowledging the obvious. Skeletor -- like bama itself -- is a dinosaur. One season doesn't change that.

236599[/snapback]

Then you agree? Per your formula, AU's defense sucks too? I mean...really this would mean they even had a crappy defense in the 04 undefeated season.

Guest Tigrinum Major

No one is saying that Bama's defense sucked! We are saying that it is not as great as you think! No one is saying that Kines sucks! We are saying he is average!

Take a Zoloft and drink a beer, BG.

236591[/snapback]

236599[/snapback]

Then you agree? Per your formula, AU's defense sucks too? I mean...really this would mean they even had a crappy defense in the 04 undefeated season.

236644[/snapback]

Again, BG, this is IRRELEVANT. Whether AU had the world's greatest or world's worst defense has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Kines is a good defensive coordinator.

Please stay on point.

236591[/snapback]

As long as we are looking at who played who...

Both should be handicapped someway because you got to count our Scoring O score of 30...

While we had to count your Scoring O score of 85

Man, you bammers are always making our stats look bad. :P

Ravad, judging from the 500+ yards you gave up when playing the one top 40 offense last year...i think its safe to say you guys benefitted from our lowly offensive status. ;)

I agree with the earlier poster that Kines is the best thing that BAMA has going for them right now. Flipper will never be able to repay the debt he owes Kines. Kines has saved his butt (and his job) so far. Without the defense's performance the last two years, Bama wouldn't have won half as many games as they have won (remember MSU last year). I hope flipper knows who to thank for that contract he just got because it was ALL because of Kines. I don't think he is as good as any of AU's last four DC's(and I certainly wouldn't trade Muschamp for him), but he has TOTALLY carried the UA program ON HIS BACK.

He has made Shula look MUCH better than he is. JMHO.

Hey, if your happy being .500 vs. quality offenses, who are we to argue.

236506[/snapback]

Wow...AU played ONE...count em...ONE offense in the top 40 last year. That was wisconsin (#13) and they put 24 up on you guys...including 548 freaking yards.

The #42 offense hung 30 on you guys. Lets not forget they 27 you gave up to kentucky.

So if AU played 1 top 40 offense and finished ranked #6...and we played 2 top 40 offenses and finished #2...how is it again that we suck?

God you guys are some homers.

236509[/snapback]

The difference is, we aren't spouting off how great our defense was. We are saying that Kines is an average DC with experienced players. Tell me something, do you honestly expect Kines to put a defense on the field this season as good as last seasons(as delusional as that was)?? If you do, you are kidding yourself. That defense lost a ton(7 or 8 starters), now another one has been arrested. That defense has more holes in it than swiss cheese. Add in an offense that can't outscore a high school team, and you get a 6-6 season, maybe 7-5 for 2006.

The difference is, we aren't spouting off how great our defense was. We are saying that Kines is an average DC with experienced players. Tell me something, do you honestly expect Kines to put a defense on the field this season as good as last seasons(as delusional as that was)?? If you do, you are kidding yourself. That defense lost a ton(7 or 8 starters), now another one has been arrested. That defense has more holes in it than swiss cheese. Add in an offense that can't outscore a high school team, and you get a 6-6 season, maybe 7-5 for 2006.

Uh...no...common sense would say that losing 6-7 starters would mean the defense would go downhill. That would happen ANYWHERE though...doesnt mean Kines is a bad...or even average D cord.

An interesting point though...the following guys either got drafted or picked up in free agency: Freddie Roach, Anthony Madison, Charlie Peprah, Roman Harper, Mark Anderson, Demeco Ryans

Of those players only ONE was better than a 3 star coming out of high school...Freddie Roach. Yet ALL of them are in the NFL. How is that not a testament to good coaching? How? You guys want to say all this talent made Kines look good...Yet NONE of them were considered talented until they played for Kines....hmmmm

I don't follow the rating system to speak of in recruiting so I am somewhat out of my element here. What is the difference between a three star kid and one that is four or five? Very very few kids are ready to play Division I ball right out of high school. They have to grow into college and the life they will have to lead in it. I guess my question is how many made themselves good/great ball players and how many did Kines or any coach for that matter make? The coach has to see the potential but after that is it not up to the kid to step up to the plate?

Well the kids who just graduated were the ones who were leftovers that didnt get big offers. Another way to judge a star system is to look at the other offers the kids had coming out of high school.

Demeco's only other offer was UAB. Roman had offers from Troy and JSU. Anthony didnt have any i dont think. Freddie was a 4 star. And he was a stud coming out of high school.

Courtney Taylor was a two star recruit coming out of High School, and was recruited as a safety. All these rankings are relative, It's what the coaches do with them when they are there that counts, I gotta side with BG on this one. With one exception, you cant coach Talent, which these kids already had.

I agree with the earlier poster that Kines is the best thing that BAMA has going for them right now. Flipper will never be able to repay the debt he owes Kines. Kines has saved his butt (and his job) so far. Without the defense's performance the last two years, Bama wouldn't have won half as many games as they have won (remember MSU last year). I hope flipper knows who to thank for that contract he just got because it was ALL because of Kines. I don't think he is as good as any of AU's last four DC's(and I certainly wouldn't trade Muschamp for him), but he has TOTALLY carried the UA program ON HIS BACK.

236685[/snapback]

I agree.... Without Kines they probably wouldn't have even beaten Miss St. last year. Didn't the defense score most if not all the points in that game?

Hey, if your happy being .500 vs. quality offenses, who are we to argue.

236506[/snapback]

Wow...AU played ONE...count em...ONE offense in the top 40 last year. That was wisconsin (#13) and they put 24 up on you guys...including 548 freaking yards.

The #42 offense hung 30 on you guys. Lets not forget they 27 you gave up to kentucky.

So if AU played 1 top 40 offense and finished ranked #6...and we played 2 top 40 offenses and finished #2...how is it again that we suck?

God you guys are some homers.

236509[/snapback]

I nominate this thread to the "Classics" Forum. PERFECT example of uat livin' in the past delusion at it's BEST! :lol::lol::lol::poke:

p.s. Since when did any uater know a GOOD offense when they saw one? :big:

As humorous as I find this thread to be... I gotta give BG some credit. He is responsible for one of the best threads on here in a while.

Just a quick question for BG, how do you think Alabama will fair next year with a very young defense? With no change in the offensive gameplan... I would expect that Alabama again is going to have to rely on a potent defense to pull out of some games this year.

Just a quick question for BG, how do you think Alabama will fair next year with a very young defense?  With no change in the offensive gameplan... I would expect that Alabama again is going to have to rely on a potent defense to pull out of some games this year.

236726[/snapback]

They will be starting DUI Wilson. If you remember, he did score a rushing TD on Auburn.

236685[/snapback]

Ryans_Bennett%20(Small).jpg

Yes, Flipper is a much better looking man then Kines.

ESPN.com college football front page...a special on Alabama's defense (how timely :) )

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/index

I dont have insider but apparently Kines gets some major props.

Vatz...to answer your question

Our secondary will be fine. And we only lost Mark Anderson on the front four. What concerns me is our linebackers. With or without Juwan we are very thin on our 2 deep. Terrance Jones is very good and Juwan is very good. But after that is anybody's guess.

Similar to years before, we cant afford any injuries at LB. Word is we are going to run a lot of 3-3-5 this year to play to our talent strength in the secondary.

I dont think we will have as good of a defense. But i think our offense will be much improved. The oline will be MUCH improved with some depth in there if anyone gets hurt.

I dont expect us to go 10-2 this year though. Graduated a lot of leaders this year.

ESPN.com college football front page...a special on Alabama's defense (how timely :) )

Our secondary will be fine. And we only lost Mark Anderson on the front four. What concerns me is our linebackers. With or without Juwan we are very thin on our 2 deep. Terrance Jones is very good and Juwan is very good. But after that is anybody's guess.

Similar to years before, we cant afford any injuries at LB. Word is we are going to run a lot of 3-3-5 this year to play to our talent strength in the secondary.

I dont think we will have as good of a defense. But i think our offense will be much improved. The oline will be MUCH improved with some depth in there if anyone gets hurt.

I dont expect us to go 10-2 this year though. Graduated a lot of leaders this year.

236743[/snapback]

Educate me. Running that type of defense relies heavily on corners being able to shut down the run or at a minimum play phenominal run support. Do ya'll have that many defensive animals in the secondary?

Saniflush

Yes we are very very deep at corner and nickel. Simeon has played the 5th DB his entire career and is good a run support and weakside blitzing. Our corners play man normally and one of our safeties Jefferey Dukes has played some as a run stopping 5th DB in his career. But he's a better coverage guy now and Marcus Carter would probably do more run support.

Our LB's are decent in coverage but would need that extra guy to aid in plugging the run or be a bit of a rover and guard a potential wheel route or a TE release.

uat lost far too much on defense to be anywhere close to as good as the team we DOMINATED in last years IB. Kinda' warms the old heart....doesn't it?

236743[/snapback]

So you're going to use ESPN -- the biggest bunch of "in the moment" jumpers in the world, the unmitigated kings of overblown hyperbole -- as the "proof" of your contention that Skeletor is a great defensive coach? I laugh in your general direction.

According to ESPN football didn't exist until Pete Carroll invented it. Reggie Bush is better than Bo, Herschel and Barry combined. They waste hours on Barry Bonds. Their "analysis" is shoddy at best. The only thing ESPN is good for is giving scores.

Archived