Simpson Named to Lott Trophy Watch List

JohnDeere

RIMYRPCRFFLVLPV.20060405210453.jpg

Simpson Named to Lott Trophy Watch List

Newport Beach, Ca. – Alabama’s Juwan Simpson is one of the 42 top defensive players in the nation who have been named to the 2006 Lott Trophy Watch List, it was announced today.

Named after Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott, The Lott Trophy is awarded to college football’s Defensive IMPACT Player of the Year. Now in its third year, The Lott Trophy is the first college football award to equally recognize athletic performance and the personal character attributes of the player.

Simpson had 64 tackles and two interceptions last season for The Tide.

Sponsored by The Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation, the award is given to a player who exhibits the same characteristics Lott embodied during his distinguished career: Integrity, Maturity, Performance, Academics, Community and Tenacity.

David Pollack of Georgia and DeMeco Ryans of Alabama were the winners of the first two Lott Trophies. Both Georgia and Alabama received $25,000 for their general scholarship funds. In two years, the Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation has donated $170,000 to various charities, in addition to the two universities.

Voters for the award include selected members of the national media, previous finalists, the Board of Directors of the Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation and Master Coaches, a distinguished group of former head college coaches.

The winner will be announced at a gala black-tie banquet at The Pacific Club Dec. 10. If Simpson makes the finalist list, he might need to bring a weapon for protection. Newport Beach is a rough town.

I didn't realize Will Herring was on the watch list too?

Old, old news.

236804[/snapback]

You need to update your sig to include the 2004-5 uat football team's accomplishment within the SEC: firmly in sole possession of 3rd place in the SEC West. Or aren't you proud of how they fared against the toughest competition in the country?

Even though we didn't win the SEC title this year, I'm still proud of the fact that we bested the eventual SEC Champs in a head-to-head match-up. I'll take that over a 10-win season against cupcakes any day. :au: WDE

Old, old news.

236804[/snapback]

You need to update your sig to include the 2004-5 uat football team's accomplishment within the SEC: firmly in sole possession of 3rd place in the SEC West. Or aren't you proud of how they fared against the toughest competition in the country?

Even though we didn't win the SEC title this year, I'm still proud of the fact that we bested the eventual SEC Champs in a head-to-head match-up. I'll take that over a 10-win season against cupcakes any day. :au: WDE

236811[/snapback]

What cupcakes exactly? Wait, we won our bowl game to get our 10th and you didn't? And don't even try to act like Georgia Tech was a good team. They went 7-5 and lost to a MWC school by 4 touchdowns in the highly regarded "Emerald Bowl." We would have beaten them just like we beat MTSU (and you beat Western Ky).

Old, old news.

236804[/snapback]

236811[/snapback]

What cupcakes exactly? Wait, we won our bowl game to get our 10th and you didn't? And don't even try to act like Georgia Tech was a good team. They went 7-5 and lost to a MWC school by 4 touchdowns in the highly regarded "Emerald Bowl." We would have beaten them just like we beat MTSU (and you beat Western Ky).

236815[/snapback]

You've lost four Iron Bowls in a row. You're playing at home this year in the Iron Bowl (granted you're yet to win there yet over Auburn) and you have a first-year QB while Auburn offers up possibly the best QB/RB/WR tandem they've ever had on the same field at one time. (Nix/Davis/Sanders can be argued, I guess). It doesn't look too bright for you guys in the near future.

Old, old news.

236804[/snapback]

236811[/snapback]

236815[/snapback]

Goodness. Did I touch a nerve? I just thought you might want to update your sig to include how well your team did in the SEC. We are talking facts here now, not opinions. Again, I will ask the question: Or aren't you proud of what they accomplished within the toughest conference in the land? Simple question. I'll understand if you don't want to answer. :au: WDE

hawaii, hawaii, hawaii is coming to town for opener, this would be so sweeeeeet. inexperienced linebacker corps vs. june jones offense. maybe sarah jessica parker wilson will also throw a few moonrakers for int's. alabama is 1-1 against the high-powered rainbow warriors. :flame::ua:

B):AUBig:

Wryn, do you have any more random, off the subject drivel to post or are you finished?

236819[/snapback]

I'm just trying to see the optimism that Bama fans have for the upcoming season and beyond.. or would you rather talk more about the past?

Don't get your hopes up. We're going to beat our Georgia Tech.

They won't be able to stop Darby and even against a much weaker defense than last season's... they won't put up their typical numbers.

I say the Tide wins 24-14. Anyway... back on subject, please?

Old, old news.

236804[/snapback]

You need to update your sig...

236811[/snapback]

Don't forget: 2006 "Rock, Papers, Scissors" National Champs!

Wryn, do you have any more random, off the subject drivel to post or are you finished?

236819[/snapback]

I'm just trying to see the optimism that Bama fans have for the upcoming season and beyond.. or would you rather talk more about the past?

236833[/snapback]

Only if you want to talk about the last 4 Iron Bowls. That's really the only past I care about discussing.

Old, old news.

236804[/snapback]

236811[/snapback]

236815[/snapback]

Goodness. Did I touch a nerve? I just thought you might want to update your sig to include how well your team did in the SEC. We are talking facts here now, not opinions. Again, I will ask the question: Or aren't you proud of what they accomplished within the toughest conference in the land? Simple question. I'll understand if you don't want to answer. :au: WDE

236818[/snapback]

Yes, I am proud of how our team played this year... against both SEC and OOC competition. Sure, I would have loved to have beaten you guys. But AU was the better team. That still doesn't take away from the sucess of our season as a whole.

He probably lost any shot at being a finalist after that arrest in Bessemer. It would be tough for the Pacific Club to pull the trigger for Simpson, unless they changed it to the Pot Trophy.

We may have been beaten by GT. But remember, they did beat Miami and actually go to a bowl game. If you look at the rankings last year, most of UATs OOC opponents were ranked lower than AUs lowest ranked (Ball St). And though GT is no Northern Illinois or LA Tech (Bama has a losing record against both), we took our lumps and got better.

We shouldn't have lost, but throwing stones from a glass house is dangerous at best.

Archived