State dems almost elect white suprmecist

Ranger12

This article is what I mean when I say that the majority of voters don't pay attention to who the heck they are voting for. This is guy was running for state AG, but when it comes to senators and congressman, a large majority just simply vote for the person with the "I" besides their name or the person whos signs they saw the most. That is why I say we need term limits, because we live far from a perfect world where the majority of voters take the time to properly educate themselves about the candidates. Also, this is not meant to be a slam on the dems, so lots not turn it into a party thing. It is meant to prove my point that alot of voters are ignorant when they cast their ballot. At least I hope they were and really did not intend to vote for this guy.

Why did Valley vote for atheist?

Experts say low visibility, ballot position played roles

By M.J. Ellington

DAILY Staff Writer

mjellington@decaturdaily.com · (334) 262-1104

MONTGOMERY — Most voters who cast ballots in Tuesday's Democratic Party primary probably did not leave home planning to choose a white supremacist and an avowed atheist who denies the Holocaust happened as party nominee for attorney general.

But 43 percent of them did.

The percentage who voted for Larry Darby is even higher in Morgan County, 54.7; Lawrence County, 59.7 percent; and Limestone County, 58.6 percent.

Mobile District Attorney John Tyson Jr. won the nomination statewide with 56.5 percent of the vote over Montgomery attorney Darby, whose political views concerned party officials so much that they considered dropping him from the ballot.

So, how did a person with views so outside the mainstream come so close to getting the party nomination?

Political experts say the answer may be as simple as letters in the alphabet or as complicated as a shortage of campaign money.

Lawrence County Probate Judge R.I. "Rip" Proctor said when he realized Darby's impact on the county's voting patterns Tuesday night he questioned local people who he knew were Democrats, after the polls closed.

"They told me they didn't know either candidate," Proctor said. "They just voted for the first name on the ballot."

Political scientists who study voting behavior say the vote reflects the nature of the low-key, low-profile race where candidates did not have a lot of money to spend on getting their messages across.

"The message of this primary suggests that when candidates are low visibility, you can get some pretty surprising results," said Athens State University political science professor Jess Brown.

Brown thinks Tyson survived because more than 87 percent of people in highly populated Mobile and surrounding parts of South Alabama voted for a locally familiar candidate. Farther north, the alphabet took over and voter choices were almost random, the experts say.

There is a message to voters and to candidates in the race, Brown said.

"If you don't know the candidates, don't vote in that race."

For candidates, he has another suggestion: "Find a way to get your message across to your core constituency."

University of Alabama political science professor Patrick Cotter is co-director of Southern Opinion Research, the university's political polling center. Cotter, who studies voter behavior, said that short term, the outcome of the Democratic attorney general's race may be interesting. Long term, the race may mean nothing because voters will know more about candidates by the general election.

Link

Mobile District Attorney John Tyson Jr. won the nomination statewide with 56.5 percent of the vote over Montgomery attorney Darby, whose political views concerned party officials so much that they considered dropping him from the ballot.

Brown thinks Tyson survived because more than 87 percent of people in highly populated Mobile and surrounding parts of South Alabama voted for a locally familiar candidate. Farther north, the alphabet took over and voter choices were almost random, the experts say.

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/n...611/darby.shtml

I voted for Tyson. This other guy is whack job who needs to move to southern Georgia or South Carolina, anywhere but the Great State Of Alabama.

University of Alabama political science professor Patrick Cotter is co-director of Southern Opinion Research, the university's political polling center. Cotter, who studies voter behavior, said that short term, the outcome of the Democratic attorney general's race may be interesting. Long term, the race may mean nothing because voters will know more about candidates by the general election

The motto of SOR should be "Whatever result you need, whenever you need it." SOR is the most corrupt polling agency in the nation, without a doubt. I worked on a campaign once where two weeks before the general election, we were said to be down 28.5% in the polls by SOR. We had not a dime of money left and after the poll came out what was coming in dried up immediately. We had to chip in our own money from volunteers just to get the candidate out in an RV campaigning. Up until then most folks said we were very close in the race to oust the incumbent Dem. Well, the poll was rigged to the max. We finished only .5% or 800 votes away from winning the election. The press openly admitted they did not believe the poll by SOR but said nothing until after the election. The reduced turnout kept a Dem in offfice that we had worked very hard to defeat.

Cramer is a great guy, and I support him now, but back then it was right after the Clinton tax increase and the gun ban legislation both of which he voted for and very much regrets now. He has loudly said he will never vote for any gun legislation no matter what. It did everything but cost him his career back in 1994.

I laughed at the SOR guy's comments. If a person did not pay attention now, what makes him think he will pay attention come November? If a person voted in the primary, then they voted for candidates in one party or another, and more then likely they are going to vote for that party's nominated candidate come November.

I am like you David and did not vote for Cramer after what he did. After that election, he learned real quickly he put him in office and he almost lost that office. But I guarantee you that if more that voted for him would have educated themselves, he probably would had lost that year. Are they still putting an "I" beside the incumbent's name? I can't remember if I saw it or not on my ballot. If they are, that is one thing that needs to stop.

The article claims the guy is an athiest and a white supremeist but gives no examples or proof. just may be true, but what if these things were contrived from suspicious statements. Shouldn't our media give proof or reasons before labeling others. Many people believe the holocaust was some sort of hoax. But does that make them white supremists, or just ignorant skeptics?

Not defending this guy, just wondering if what is printed is entirely true or just embellished to make the story better.

The article stated:

“Any type of hatred toward groups of people, especially for political gain, is completely unacceptable in the Alabama Democratic Party,” said Turnham.

But I never read any reference to hating any other race, just a reference to awareness of the white race. If I were black and wanted to raise awareness of the black race, I would be called a civil rights advocate. Why is this position different? Not that I am with the guy, just pointing out the strangle-hold blacks have on civil rights.

Why do we always accuse any white people that say anything about whites being discriminated against, a racist or supremist.

Once again, I saw nothing in this article that proved this guy is a supremist. He may be, I just saw nothing to prove it.

Now he still is an athiest, which will change 1 nano-second after he dies.

CCTAU,

I think they did not reference anything because it was just recently discovered about his views. Here is another article that gives you a little more detail about his views. As much as I distrust the newspapers, I don't think they would make these kind of claims about a candidate unless they had legitimate resources to back it up. Otherwise, they would be looking at a big freakin' lawsuit.

Montgomery Advertiser

MSNBC also had an article about this guy.

MSNBC

Archived