Here's your chance

Bottomfeeder

... If you didnt serve, you just dont understand. ...

Let me interject a point in here. David, I completely understand your point of view. However, it doesn't necessarily mean those that didn't serve can'tunderstand. I'll point to the commander in chiefs during our 3 greatest wars ever: Lincoln, Wilson & Rooseveldt. Not one of them was ever in the regular army or navy and they seemed to do all right.

On the other hand, just because you have served doesn't mean you are free from crticism. Your actions will & should be scrutinized despite your obvious service time: eg. Timothy McVeigh, Duke Cunningham, John Kerry, Benedict Arnold.

243190[/snapback]

Actually, Lincoln was a captain in the Illinois militia and fought in the Blackhawk Wars. He was somewhat inept starting out as he was disciplined on a few occasions for stupid stuff.

FDR served as the Assistant Secretary of the Navy during the Wilson administration and did quite well in that position. Even during his early years he favored military expansion as he pushed for the Navy to be enlarged.

243220[/snapback]

For the record, Lincoln volunteered to join the militia at the outbreak of hostilities and "served" 90 days -- never saw any action. He attained the rank of Captain on the first day of muster through direct election by the men present. The fact that he probably towered over everyone there might have had something to do with that. Rooseveldt was Secretary of the Navy in WWI, true. Political connections had a lot to do with that. I'm not criticizing either's "service" -- just pointing out that it wasn't regular army/navy.

Fun stuff, you ought to try it.

Don't worry, I have, and then some.

As someone who served, think about all the rhetoric you spill, the politicians you support, and the impact it has on the troops - and then ask yourself if it's still the right thing to do.

The bottom line is Bush has done everything he said he was going to do, and was justified for going into both Afganistan and Iraq. The libs absolutely hate the fact that he's right and have the spin machine cranking at 100% and then some.

Wake up, grow a backbone, and support the cause.

I hide behind my service often? Cite examples. Where's the link?

I have never attempted to deflect criticism of myself by running and hiding behind my service.

... If you didnt serve, you just dont understand. ...

Let me interject a point in here. David, I completely understand your point of view. However, it doesn't necessarily mean those that didn't serve can'tunderstand. I'll point to the commander in chiefs during our 3 greatest wars ever: Lincoln, Wilson & Rooseveldt. Not one of them was ever in the regular army or navy and they seemed to do all right.

On the other hand, just because you have served doesn't mean you are free from crticism. Your actions will & should be scrutinized despite your obvious service time: eg. Timothy McVeigh, Duke Cunningham, John Kerry, Benedict Arnold.

243190[/snapback]

Actually, Lincoln was a captain in the Illinois militia and fought in the Blackhawk Wars. He was somewhat inept starting out as he was disciplined on a few occasions for stupid stuff.

FDR served as the Assistant Secretary of the Navy during the Wilson administration and did quite well in that position. Even during his early years he favored military expansion as he pushed for the Navy to be enlarged.

243220[/snapback]

For the record, Lincoln volunteered to join the militia at the outbreak of hostilities and "served" 90 days -- never saw any action. He attained the rank of Captain on the first day of muster through direct election by the men present. The fact that he probably towered over everyone there might have had something to do with that. Rooseveldt was Secretary of the Navy in WWI, true. Political connections had a lot to do with that. I'm not criticizing either's "service" -- just pointing out that it wasn't regular army/navy.

243318[/snapback]

Oh no, I understood what you were trying to say. I know you weren't criticizing their service. I was just shedding light on the fact that Lincoln and Roosevelt weren't completely without some sort of service. Lincoln's service, in his day, was the equivalent of National Guard duty. Although true about FDR's political connections, he did enjoy his job and was quite enthusiastic about it at the time...I don't think he considered just a "check the block" kind of job on his way up the political ladder.

Archived