WSU Coach's wife recently died of Cancer

DKW 86

We better watch out or we will get Wisconsin part two.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/273665_moore13.html

Go 2 Guy: Cougs rallying behind Doba

By JIM MOORE

P-I COLUMNIST

WENATCHEE -- How's Bill Doba doing? No one has to ask. It's only been a month and a half since his wife, Judy, died of complications from ovarian cancer.

On Monday, the Washington State football coach played in the Wenatchee Valley Cougar Golf Classic. It is one of several statewide stops on an annual golf tour in which WSU coaches mingle with alums, raise money and spread crimson-and-gray cheer.

Sometime after the tournament began, Doba no doubt talked football and cracked jokes with his foursome. He probably even laughed at one of his errant shots.

But before the noon shotgun start at Wenatchee Golf and Country Club, Doba was down on the driving range, unable to fight back tears.

"The thing that's tough, there were a lot of things we planned to do in retirement," he said, reaching for his handkerchief again. "But I can't talk about that stuff. I've gotta keep going."

He's going all right, really going, pouring himself into his work.

"He works his butt off and has stayed upbeat," said WSU defensive backs coach Kenny Greene. "He's about as consistent as you could hope for under the circumstances."

"I'm staying as busy as I can," Doba said.

It's demanding anyway, but the job is now a sanctuary of sorts -- the more time he puts in at the office, the less time he has to be idle, which is when it hurts the most.

Last Friday was especially tough. It would have been their 44th wedding anniversary.

Saturday, his two daughters will come to Pullman to help him sort through things that Doba will never need -- a sewing machine, pots and pans, and other items of their mother's the kids might want.

Doba has been coming home to an empty house. His son and daughters and six grandchildren live in Michigan and Indiana. But he's not alone.

"He's got a great group of people around him," said WSU athletic director Jim Sterk, who turned 50 on Saturday.

"Right now the football team's my family," Doba said.

Administrators and assistant coaches have rallied around him. Doba also has been overwhelmed by support from friends and Cougs fans. He has received about 700 sympathy cards and letters. Fifteen minutes after he called Sterk to tell him that his wife died, previous WSU coach Mike Price called with condolences.

In Judy Doba's name, more than $10,000 has been donated to the United Way, Pullman Regional Hospital and St. Thomas More Newman Center.

"That's a much better thing than flowers on a grave," Doba said while trying to smile.

He carries his clubs toward the clubhouse and changes the subject to compose himself, wondering if there are fish in a small canal by the putting green. But then he's talking about his wife again.

"She wrote her own obituary and wrote letters to the kids," Doba said, noting that his wife also wrote journals for every grandkid. "She thought of other people all the way to the end."

Judy Doba didn't want her obituary to say: "died after a long battle with cancer."

"That's because every time she read it (in someone else's obituary), she felt bad," Doba said.

Next week Doba will oversee the Cougars' football camp for prep players before taking time off, driving to his summer place on spring-fed Birch Lake in Michigan. His whole family will join him.

For two weeks, Doba will get behind the wheel of his boat and take the grandkids inner-tubing. Then he'll be at the end of the dock untangling their lines or helping them reel in a bluegill.

Each Monday, he'll go to Hampshire Golf Course and play a round with other local seniors. "Eighteen holes with a cart for $22," Doba said.

He will return in late July to prepare for the 2006 season, which starts Sept. 2 at Auburn. With two losing seasons following three 10-win seasons, Doba knows of the pressure to produce.

But, he's asked, does Cougars football feel less important now?

No, Doba said. He's got all of his assistants and their families to think about. He doesn't want anyone to lose his job and have to move elsewhere.

"If that doesn't inspire you, nothing will," he said.

The motivation and fire are there, Doba saying the Cougs should be "pretty good" if they can find a center and a cornerback. It will take a while to fill another hole.

"Other people get through this," Doba said, "and so will I."

I'm Sorry to hear about that, condolences to him and his family.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived