How big is 5 Star Pugh as a Recruit?

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...2830.xml&coll=1

Hoover lineman - one of nation's best - chooses Auburn

275-pound Pugh grew up rooting for Tigers

Friday, June 30, 2006

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

AUBURN - Ryan Pugh, considered one of the nation's top offensive line prospects, chose his lifelong favorite college football program Thursday.

He announced on the Hoover High School practice field that he plans to sign with Auburn in February.

Pugh played the first three seasons of his high school career at Spain Park High School but transferred to Hoover when his father, assistant coach Toney Pugh, left Spain Park and joined the Hoover staff.

Ryan Pugh said he looked seriously at offers from LSU and Clemson before making his final decision.

"It was Auburn in the beginning," said Pugh, 6-foot-3 and 275 pounds. "Then I decided I needed to look at Clemson and LSU. They stuck out in my mind. I went and visited and visited with the coaches. It was really great, but Auburn is what I grew up watching and what I like to watch on Saturdays. It became easy from there."

Pugh, who projects as a college center, had dozens of offers from across the country. He said he actually committed to Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville and offensive line coach Hugh Nall two weeks ago. He was recruited by defensive ends coach Terry Price, who works the Birmingham area.

"Auburn just stood out in my mind whenever I got there," Pugh said. "The coaches are great and the facilities are unbelievable. The people down there are just so welcoming. It was the right place to go."

Pugh said he was glad to put an end to the recruiting process.

"It's a big relief," he said. "You get the late-night phone calls, the late text messages. They all want to talk to you all the time and make sure you are still keeping them in mind. It's a relief to just be able to play football. It's fun while it lasts, but I'm glad it's over."

Pugh said he talked to Auburn's coaches before going public with his announcement.

"I talked to Coach Price, Coach Tuberville and Coach Nall," Pugh said. "They said 'Welcome to the family. Keep working hard to get better.' "

Hoover coach Rush Propst said it was a double dose of good news when he hired Toney Pugh in April to coach the defensive line.

"Ryan is obviously a great player, but we did not hire Toney because of his son," Propst said.

"It just so happens that this great coach has a son who is a great football player. Ryan only has one more year to play, then he's gone from Hoover. Toney will still be here."

Archived