Kennedy: Keep Eye on Hogs

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/rk...1720.xml&coll=3

Long shot Hogs good bet for title

Sunday, July 02, 2006

It's a trend as predicable as a Sound Off call about college football national championships. Every July, members of the media gather in Birmingham for SEC Media Days to interview coaches and players and make predictions for the coming football season. And every year, those predictions are proven wrong.

The streak continued last year, when the media picked Tennessee as the favorite to win the SEC Championship Game. Those are the same Volunteers who fell apart so badly that they were barely able to field a viable team by the time their 5-6 season mercifully came to an end.

When Georgia beat LSU in the 2005 conference championship game, the Bulldogs became the 10th straight conference champ that was not even predicted to win its division during the SEC Media Days vote.

So, the easy step in predicting this year's champion will be to eliminate LSU, Auburn, Florida and Georgia. Those four teams have justifiably gotten most of the preseason attention, and one of the four will be the pick to win the league title.

But just like every year, there will be a surprise team in the conference this season. For 2006, that team will likely be Arkansas.

In fact, when the Razorbacks host LSU on Nov. 25 in Little Rock, they will be playing for a spot in Atlanta and the title game. Arkansas, only 4-7 a year ago, has three factors in its favor as it vies for its first SEC West title in four years.

-- The best schedule.

-- The best player.

-- And the most starters returning.

Returning 19 starters may not seem like such an advantage considering the Razorbacks won only four games a year ago. But the Razorbacks have a leader to build around on both sides of the ball who is as good as anybody in the league. Linebacker Sam Olajubutu is one of the league's best tacklers despite being only 5-feet-9. And sophomore tailback Darren McFadden is simply the best player and best pro prospect in the conference.

Without McFadden, Arkansas would still have the league's best backfield with Peyton Hillis and Felix Jones. Add McFadden to those two and the Razorbacks will be in position to take the pressure off a passing attack that will be emphasized more as the season progresses.

But more important than any of that is who the Razorbacks play -- or, more specifically, who they don't play. Arkansas is the only SEC West team that avoids both Florida and Georgia. LSU and Alabama both have to go to Florida, while Auburn is the only West team scheduled to face both Florida and Georgia (though both games are at Jordan-Hare Stadium).

The Razorbacks may or may not be talented enough to beat Southern Cal in the non-conference opener for both teams. But if they earn even a split against Alabama (Sept. 23) and at Auburn (Oct. 7), they will be in the title chase until the end.

Oddsmakers at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas have installed Arkansas as an 80-1 longshot to win the national championship (LSU is 13-1, Auburn is 15-1 and Alabama is 60-1). But if the last decade has taught SEC fans anything, it is that a long shot will be on center stage when the SEC Championship Game kicks off.

I read that last night and got a good chuckle. Nutt can't coach, Nutt is a moron and Nutt will screw up the offense at crucial times. Arkansas can't win big games in Fayetteville and unless I missed something they still need a decent qb.

unless I missed something they still need a decent qb.

244913[/snapback]

The signed one of the top QB's in the nation this year. We will know sometime in Sept if he is good enough to play as a FR. Add that in with one of the top running games in the league and they would be considered preseason possible contenders.

Over all the Hogs should be much better and more consistent than last year.

Auburn people should NEVER take a "W" for granted vs the piggies. I remember a few years back...they beat us two years in a row and ran for about 2000 yds in one game @JH ! ! ! :au:

I'm not ready to dismiss Arkansas.

I think LSU is due for a dropoff. Miles doesn't strike me as the type to get it done.

Should be wary of Arkansas.

The pigs always make me nervous. Never take them for granted.

I hereby vote Arkansas "SEC Team most likely to ruin your season for no particular reason."

I hold my breath every time we play the hogs. They are like playing Dooley's Dogs. I hold my breath during the whole game because if the stars line up, they could beat anyone. Hell Nutt did everything but beat Texas 2 years ago.

Woopig courtesy: "Fred Talley just ran by my window..."

I was at that game in 2002 and I know better than anyone not to dismiss the Hawgs. But Arky doesn't have Matt Jones anymore and they aren't nearly as dangerous as they used to be. I think the Hogs will be improved and will go bowling again but I doubt they will even get within earshot of Atlanta unless they are going to the Peach Bowl. Mustain was a great high school qb and it doesn't hurt that his HC from highschool is now his OC, but to expect him to be flawless this fall is beyond reasonal thought.

For Woopig: "I saw Talley the other day chasing the rabbit in my yard."

Arky suprises USC in opener!!! There is no substitute for experience in the SEC. Arkansas has loads of it this year. They QB Nutt took the redshirt off of didn't do to bad the last 4 or 5 games. He has potential!! They will be dangerous and will at least beat bama, and Miss teams!

Arky suprises USC in opener

i hear you. thats been my 1st week upset special for a while now. i think ark will be much improved, and they've got to be laying up waiting on the contraceptives to get to fayettevile. that 60 whatever point spanking from last year (?) has to to be fresh in their minds. and no leinert, bush or white this time.

Isn't their new OC a run and shoot guy? It seems that I read somewhere that he was. If so, it may be a little difficult to integrate his ideas in with the existing personnel. That could slow them up a little early while they figure out what to do with what they have.

However, it can't be hard to figure out what to do with McFadden.

I hereby vote Arkansas "SEC Team most likely to ruin your season for no particular reason."

I hold my breath every time we play the hogs. They are like playing Dooley's Dogs. I hold my breath during the whole game because if the stars line up, they could beat anyone.

244970[/snapback]

My feeling exactly. They'll be better this year and a threat to anyone on any given Saturday. McFadden has a great shot at winning the SEC rushing title, particularly if their QB situation causes them to lean heavily on the run.

However, I don't see the stars lining up frequently enough for them to win the SEC or even get to Atlanta ahead of AU or LSU, as this writer predicts. They certainly have a good shot at spoiling it for someone else, though.

However, I don't see the stars lining up frequently enough for them to win the SEC or even get to Atlanta ahead of AU or LSU, as this writer predicts.  They certainly have a good shot at spoiling it for someone else, though.

245061[/snapback]

Arkansas is due to beat LSU this year

They won 4 games last year. It's the same awful players and same crappy coach that won 4 games last year. All of a sudden, they're everyone's favorite to upset USC, LSU, Auburn, the New England Patriots etc.

Did I mention they only won 4 games last year?

Did I mention their 4 wins were against Missouri State, Louisiana Monroe, Ole Miss and Miss. State?

If I forgot to mention that....see above. :big:

They won 4 games last year.  It's the same awful players and same crappy coach that won 4 games last year.  All of a sudden, they're everyone's favorite to upset USC, LSU, Auburn, the New England Patriots etc.

Did I mention they only won 4 games last year?

245350[/snapback]

Nobody mentioned that their new OC was coaching high school ball last year. I don't know what the guy's background is, but something makes me think that - unless he's in his 20's - there is a reason he was coaching high school ball. Either he's not a great coach, or he pulled a Niewheisel-Dubose and ended up at the bottom of the ladder.

Arky will be the same "hold your breath and cross your fingers" threat that they have posed for the last 8 or so years. Hold McFadden in check and you win by 2 TD's.

Arky suprises USC in opener

i hear you. thats been my 1st week upset special for a while now. i think ark will be much improved, and they've got to be laying up waiting on the contraceptives to get to fayettevile. that 60 whatever point spanking from last year (?) has to to be fresh in their minds. and no leinert, bush or white this time.

245005[/snapback]

Me too. I have been saying for some time that Arkansas will have the upper hand in that game. It's in their house and they have the experience that USC will not have in game 1.

Look just above my post...no, lower...yea, that's it...at the bottom of Circle's post....right there. See that hand in his sig? How many fingers is he holding up?

4?

That's how many games Arky won last year. :big:

Yes, but with 20 returning starters there HAS to be improvement....even with Nutt as coach. The question is, which team will wind up being Arky's thumb?

Isn't their new OC a run and shoot guy? It seems that I read somewhere that he was. If so, it may be a little difficult to integrate his ideas in with the existing personnel. That could slow them up a little early while they figure out what to do with what they have.

I was was a freshman at the University of Arkansas last year ( I live in the state of Arkansas or I would be at Auburn) and Springfield High School ( the high school where their #1 qb and offensive coach are from) was more popular than the Razorbacks. They went undefeated and mercy ruled every team they played including Jenks Oklahoma. They finished as one of the top 3 teams in the nation. However, their Coach Malzahn (now the offensive coach at Arkansas) ran a no huddle offense which called plays from the sideline after the Malzahn identified the defense. Word in Fayetteville is that they will run the same no huddle system this year with Mitch Mustain at the helm. That system worked so well in High school but I just don't see a no huddle offense tearing up the SEC. The offense also relies alot on the receivers reading the defensive coverage and then signaling back to the quarterback what they will run. The receivers are too inexperienced and this flashy offense will not work with a first year quardinator and a freshman qb running it. Malzahn will be a great coach one day but his first year in the SEC will be rough. Also, Nutt is to power hungry and paranoid to give over complete control to an High school coach. He will take over the offense midway through the year.

I was was a freshman at the University of Arkansas last year ( I live in the state of Arkansas or I would be at Auburn) and Springfield High School ( the high school where their #1 qb and offensive coach are from) was more popular than the Razorbacks. They went undefeated and mercy ruled every team they played including Jenks Oklahoma. They finished as one of the top 3 teams in the nation. However, their Coach Malzahn (now the offensive coach at Arkansas) ran a no huddle offense which called plays from the sideline after the Malzahn identified the defense. Word in Fayetteville is that they will run the same no huddle system this year with Mitch Mustain at the helm. That system worked so well in High school but I just don't see a no huddle offense tearing up the SEC. The offense also relies alot on the receivers reading the defensive coverage and then signaling back to the quarterback what they will run. The receivers are too inexperienced and this flashy offense will not work with a first year quardinator and a freshman qb running it. Malzahn will be a great coach one day but his first year in the SEC will be rough. Also, Nutt is to power hungry and paranoid to give over complete control to an High school coach. He will take over the offense midway through the year.

245675[/snapback]

I personally thought the hiring of Malzahn to get Mitch Mustain was one of the most insane moves I have ever seen by a university. What it does show however, is that Houston Nutt's job is on the line and never underestimate a desperate man. I think he will probably hold it together this year, and make a pretty good run in the SEC.

Simply put McFadden is a stud, his strength, speed and size are just amazing. One thing you'll notice about him he runs straight up, but his pure ability makes up for it in more than one way. After McFadden you have Felix and their FB Hillis who is a superstar is his own right. They are loaded in the backfield. I also think that Casey Dick is perfectly capable of having a break out year at QB. If not they have Mustain to fall on. Also they are returning, pretty much their entire offense from last year.

As much emphasis that is placed on their offense by everyone their defense is always solid under Nutt. The Pigs will be a much improved team this year. They could indeed be a spoiler this year.

I think that we will learn about Arkansas when they play USC if they get past them then everyone run for the hills because the piggies are comin" :arky::big:

Dang, so Bama has to fear TWO thumbs this season? :P

245461[/snapback]

Actually, Auburn is Arkansas's 5th game of the season.....I feel so sorry for the ones of you that have actually replaced the number 5 with a :thumbsup: . For those of you who want to keep up, we are actually the # pinky finger on Arkansas's schedule.

Archived