Powers wears harness to protect shoulder

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill....xml&coll=1

Powers wears harness to protect shoulder

Thursday, August 17, 2006

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Writer

AUBURN - Not even his left shoulder popping out of socket is enough to stop redshirt freshman cornerback Jerraud Powers' drive for playing time.

Powers, a former Decatur High School standout, wears a harness for practice to protect the shoulder. He has managed to make plays anyway.

"I'll probably wear it a good bit just to protect it and make sure it doesn't slip out again," Powers said. "It's like having a weighted vest on your chest."

Powers and junior Pat Lee are listed as backups to senior David Irons and junior Jonathan Wilhite. Irons is nursing a strained hamstring.

"I feel like I'm in the rotation," Powers said. "Patrick and I are pushing them to get better every day. As long as we are pushing them to get better and they are pushing me, I'm fine."

Powers and his teammates got a day off Wednesday for the first day of classes.

OK in the middle: Don't count defensive coordinator Will Muschamp among those fretting about playing 210-pound sophomore Merrill Johnson at middle linebacker.

"He plays like he's about 220-225," Muschamp said. "He's a rock solid, physical kid. I think we are fine with him."

Muschamp said he is not overly concerned about a general lack of bulk among Auburn's linebackers.

"We're trying to find the best players we can find at each position," Muschamp said. "You're going with who you are available to. If you're available to a 6-foot, 210-pound kid that can run as opposed to a 6-2, 240-pound kid that can't, I'm going to take the 6-foot 210-pound kid. You want to sign those guys that can run and change directions."

Smith on campus: Junior college transfer defensive tackle Greg Smith arrived Tuesday night as scheduled and attended classes Wednesday.

Smith, whose sheer size turned heads in the Auburn football complex, will practice with the team for the first time today. He'll start out at nose guard. 345#!!!! :cheer:

Opening challenge: Auburn is ranked No. 6 in the country in the coaches' poll. Washington State won four games last season. If that creates a perception of a mismatch, Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville says, the perception is wrong.

"We looked at them all last spring and a lot this summer," Tuberville said. "They've got most of their starters back. They'll have a good football team. It'll be a big challenge for a team that is playing new schemes on defense.

"I know we are ranked, but it doesn't make a hill of beans where you are ranked. It's going to be a heck of a football game."

Greg Smith against Andre Smith would be an interesting matchup. Andre might get a taste of going up against somebody his size.

Archived