Good Muschamp Article

quietfan

I'm really excited to see our defense in action. I think my favorite play to watch is a good sack of the opposing quarterback (yeah, I LOVED the Iron Bowl). Looks like I have a lot of fun in store with CWM on board:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha...&thispage=1

AUBURN - His title is defensive coordinator, but that seems inappropriate for Auburn's Will Muschamp.

His players, even his fellow coaches, say Auburn's latest defensive coordinator is constantly on the offensive, with an aggressive style that features plenty of pressure and the fan-favorite blitz. So a lot of fans will get to cheer him in his debut when Auburn opens the season against Washington State at 6:45 Saturday night in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

So, who better to talk about the new defense than ... Will Muschamp?

Hardly. Try the guys who faced Auburn's blitzing defense every day this fall.

"They bring people from everywhere," said quarterback Brandon Cox. "They are consistently blitzing. Last year, it was more of a base defense and they ran blitzes just every now and then. I know just practicing against them, they're blitzing all the time."

From where? Your guess will be as good as Washington State quarterback Alex Brink's.

"They don't wait for the offense to come to them," says Auburn offensive coordinator Al Borges. "They make things happen, more than any defense I've dealt with.

"They're going to be up there with the corners. They're going to show you blitzes and blitz; they're going to show blitzes and not blitz."

How? In a most confusing way.

"They have a variety of different blitzes from different spots, whether they're outside on the weak side, outside on the strong side, inside on the weak side, inside on the strong side. It looks like it's outside but it's inside. I like to think it's the way we play offense: It's predictably unpredictable," Borges said.

Head coach Tommy Tuberville says not too worry. He says the basis of his defense remains intact, and he has downplayed the idea that the defense is much different from last year.

"We're still a four-man front and playing with three linebackers," he said.

Tuberville knows Auburn's defense is not crying for a major overhaul. His 22-3 record the last two years says that.

...Linebacker Will Herring says the fun part is disguising the blitz. Defensive line coach Terry Price says the fun part is go, go, go.

"It's an NFL-style defense and it's very, very aggressive," Price said. "It's based on pressure and being physical up front, and that's how I like it. I love the scheme."

That's all nice. But what will fans really see? Linebacker Karibi Dede says they should see a defense that will be hard for the opposition to figure out, but hardly one running around willy-nilly.

"It's not a live-by-the-gun, die-by-the-gun defense," Dede said. "It's not to the level where we're just going all in every play. It's controlled pressure."

Dede said fans should look for multiple fronts - and lots of that controlled pressure.

"We like to really challenge the quarterback, and make it hard for him to sit and make his reads and checks," he said. "At the same time, it puts us in a bind. If we bring pressure, we've got to get there now; otherwise, we're leaving our cornerbacks out on an island."

And with such an inexperienced defense, too. The Tigers return only a few players to the positions they started last year. Not to worry, says Dede.

"The things he's not sure of, he leaves it out of the game plan," he said.

Tuberville says the Tigers can make up for some mistakes with their speed.

"This is the fastest defense that we've had," Tuberville said. "There are a few new things that we always add each year."

So, is Muschamp just tweaking the defense or turning up the heat? Muschamp isn't saying, but has tried to temper what is going on.

"Every coach is different, and I think it takes a while for them to get used to me and how I want things done," he said. "But I think they have a good grasp of why we're doing what we do.

"We don't always do it right, but the kids know when they make a mistake as opposed to the spring, when they didn't know up from down."

This pumps me up. I have wondered if the defense and Muschamp would be the final piece to the perfect puzzle, and it sounds like that will be true from this article. I am so excited for this season, I can hardly wait any longer!

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha....xml&coll=2

The best offense ...

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

CHARLES GOLDBERG

News staff writer

AUBURN - His title is defensive coordinator, but that seems inappropriate for Auburn's Will Muschamp.

His players, even his fellow coaches, say Auburn's latest defensive coordinator is constantly on the offensive, with an aggressive style that features plenty of pressure and the fan-favorite blitz. So a lot of fans will get to cheer him in his debut when Auburn opens the season against Washington State at 6:45 Saturday night in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

So, who better to talk about the new defense than ... Will Muschamp?

Hardly. Try the guys who faced Auburn's blitzing defense every day this fall.

"They bring people from everywhere," said quarterback Brandon Cox. "They are consistently blitzing. Last year, it was more of a base defense and they ran blitzes just every now and then. I know just practicing against them, they're blitzing all the time."

From where? Your guess will be as good as Washington State quarterback Alex Brink's.

"They don't wait for the offense to come to them," says Auburn offensive coordinator Al Borges. "They make things happen, more than any defense I've dealt with.

"They're going to be up there with the corners. They're going to show you blitzes and blitz; they're going to show blitzes and not blitz."

How? In a most confusing way. Guys, this sound like the same D that made Bill Oliver a D Legend. Muschamp worked for Oliver at Auburn.

"They have a variety of different blitzes from different spots, whether they're outside on the weak side, outside on the strong side, inside on the weak side, inside on the strong side. It looks like it's outside but it's inside. I like to think it's the way we play offense: It's predictably unpredictable," Borges said.

Head coach Tommy Tuberville says not too worry. He says the basis of his defense remains intact, and he has downplayed the idea that the defense is much different from last year.

"We're still a four-man front and playing with three linebackers," he said.

Tuberville knows Auburn's defense is not crying for a major overhaul. His 22-3 record the last two years says that.

David Gibbs, last year's defensive coordinator, had the Tigers 19th in total defense nationally. Gene Chizik, the defensive coordinator from 2002 to 2004, left with Auburn ranked fifth in total defense and first in scoring defense.

Muschamp has taken what they left and, according to his players and coaches, jazzed it up and won most everybody over. Linebacker Will Herring says the fun part is disguising the blitz. Defensive line coach Terry Price says the fun part is go, go, go.

"It's an NFL-style defense and it's very, very aggressive," Price said. "It's based on pressure and being physical up front, and that's how I like it. I love the scheme."

That's all nice. But what will fans really see? Linebacker Karibi Dede says they should see a defense that will be hard for the opposition to figure out, but hardly one running around willy-nilly.

"It's not a live-by-the-gun, die-by-the-gun defense," Dede said. "It's not to the level where we're just going all in every play. It's controlled pressure."

Dede said fans should look for multiple fronts - and lots of that controlled pressure.

"We like to really challenge the quarterback, and make it hard for him to sit and make his reads and checks," he said. "At the same time, it puts us in a bind. If we bring pressure, we've got to get there now; otherwise, we're leaving our cornerbacks out on an island."

And with such an inexperienced defense, too. The Tigers return only a few players to the positions they started last year. Not to worry, says Dede.

"The things he's not sure of, he leaves it out of the game plan," he said.

Tuberville says the Tigers can make up for some mistakes with their speed.

"This is the fastest defense that we've had," Tuberville said. "There are a few new things that we always add each year."

So, is Muschamp just tweaking the defense or turning up the heat? Muschamp isn't saying, but has tried to temper what is going on.

"Every coach is different, and I think it takes a while for them to get used to me and how I want things done," he said. "But I think they have a good grasp of why we're doing what we do.

"We don't always do it right, but the kids know when they make a mistake as opposed to the spring, when they didn't know up from down."

Archived