Tide has struggled since losing Prothro

quietfan

I didn't realize just how bad the Bama offensive production has been until I saw these stats:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere....xml&coll=3

TUSCALOOSA -- Alabama's red-zone and touchdown-scoring issues are not confined to the first two games of 2006. They date back to the Tyrone Prothro injury last season.

Throw out the Utah State game last Oct. 29, and Alabama's defense and special teams have outscored the offense 68-50 since Prothro suffered his horrific broken leg on Oct. 1 during a 31-3 rout of Florida.

Dating back six games, the defense and special teams have outscored the offense 55-44. The Crimson Tide has 11 field goals and seven offensive touchdowns in that span.

The Alabama offense has scored more than one touchdown in only one of its last six conference games dating back to Florida last year.

Meanwhile, coming up, they face:

-- QB ALERT: ULM quarterback Kinsmon Lancaster was named the Sun Belt offensive player of the week after completing 24 of 41 passes for 377 yards and two touchdowns. The redshirt sophomore from Shreveport, La., also ran for 30 yards, including a 9-yard score.

"We know Kinsmon's got the talent we need at that position to be successful," ULM coach Charlie Weatherbie said. "We also had some receivers make some really good plays on balls and our offensive line protected well. Kin found a zone on Saturday and played well enough for us to win."

Not quite Hawaii's offense, perhaps, but similar.

I didn't realize just how bad the Bama offensive production has been until I saw these stats:

TUSCALOOSA -- Alabama's red-zone and touchdown-scoring issues are not confined to the first two games of 2006. They date back to the Tyrone Prothro injury last season.

Throw out the Utah State game last Oct. 29, and Alabama's defense and special teams have outscored the offense 68-50 since Prothro suffered his horrific broken leg on Oct. 1 during a 31-3 rout of Florida.

Dating back six games, the defense and special teams have outscored the offense 55-44. The Crimson Tide has 11 field goals and seven offensive touchdowns in that span.

The Alabama offense has scored more than one touchdown in only one of its last six conference games dating back to Florida last year.

Can someone translate those two quotes. I must be missing something. :headscratch:

Don't know the kid at Bama...but if I was him I would sue Coach Shula for that play....ahead by 20 points...game in hand....less than 3 minutes in the game and your top player is still in the game and this happens....I would have thought this one event would haunt Coach Shula for the remainder of his coaching life...there was NO CALL to have him in the game at that time.....this is a coach who is caught up on himself and not the safety for the players......he is more concern about stats....well it seems the stats don't lie....

As much as I like to bag on Flipper (and everyone here can attest to the fact that I do) I find it VERY hard to even think that Flipper is not concerned about the safety of the players.

Should Prothro have been in the game? No.

Was it a freak type accident? yes.

Would anything have been made of Prothro still being in the game if he would not have gotten hurt? No.

Would all SPUAT fans have been happy if Prothro had caught another touchdown or two against the gators? Yes.

What I am driving at here is that we are all speaking from hindsight which is a luxury that we have. So Flipper learned a hard lesson about keeping your starters in when up big. SPUAT fans have no right to complain about it cause they would have been the first ones celebrating another couple of touchdowns against UF.

OK...Now everyone get back to bashing mikie.

I think we were hurt more by losing Closner last year than we were pro. I think losing pro got the ball rolling. But our lack of depth really showed on the oline when our center went down.

This year I dont think its like last year. (Except for right tackle which is still a weak point). I think you have new guys in the system that are almost there, but need to tighten up a little.

Can someone translate those two quotes. I must be missing something. :headscratch:

Maybe I'm missing something--because I'm not quite sure what you're asking or confused about.

It's just saying that Bama has scored more points via defense (turnovers for points, safeties) and special teams (fieldgoals, PAT's, returns) than their offense has scored from regular snaps. Their offense can't even outscoring their own defense & special teams.

Maybe I'm missing something--because I'm not quite sure what you're asking or confused about.

It's just saying that Bama has scored more points via defense (turnovers for points, safeties) and special teams (fieldgoals, PAT's, returns) than their offense has scored from regular snaps. Their offense can't even outscore their own defense & special teams.

That was the problem, I was counting fgs and pats as offensive points.

Thanks

As much as I like to bag on Flipper (and everyone here can attest to the fact that I do) I find it VERY hard to even think that Flipper is not concerned about the safety of the players.

Would anything have been made of Prothro still being in the game if he would not have gotten hurt? No.

Would all SPUAT fans have been happy if Prothro had caught another touchdown or two against the gators? Yes.

What I am driving at here is that we are all speaking from hindsight which is a luxury that we have. So Flipper learned a hard lesson about keeping your starters in when up big. SPUAT fans have no right to complain about it cause they would have been the first ones celebrating another couple of touchdowns against UF.

Apparently Shula has a hard time learning a lesson. Both of Croyle's injuries occured at times he had no business in the game. He got his knee hurt in the second half of a blowout victory. He had his shoulder injury in the second half of a Georgia game that John Elway couldn't have gotten them back into. He was already hurt and Shula sent him out for one series, he got sacked and injured. Its a good thing Croyle graduated when he did because he may not have survived another year of playing for Shula.

It's just saying that Bama has scored more points via defense (turnovers for points, safeties) and special teams (fieldgoals, PAT's, returns) than their offense has scored from regular snaps. Their offense can't even outscore their own defense & special teams.

That was the problem, I was counting fgs and pats as offensive points.

Thanks

I suppose fgs & pats are debatable. I consider them kicking (special) team points, but I can see how one could argue that they're normal offensive points. But at the very least, fgs instead of tds represents offensive stuttering...the theme of the article.

Apparently Shula has a hard time learning a lesson. Both of Croyle's injuries occured at times he had no business in the game. He got his knee hurt in the second half of a blowout victory. He had his shoulder injury in the second half of a Georgia game that John Elway couldn't have gotten them back into. He was already hurt and Shula sent him out for one series, he got sacked and injured. Its a good thing Croyle graduated when he did because he may not have survived another year of playing for Shula.

You'd be hard pressed to find any coach in the nation that didn't play his starters for at least the first series of the second half, which is in when Croyle went down against WCU in 2004. As far as the 03 UGA game injury - he hurt a different body part. He separated his shoulder in the first game of the year and played through it until going down against Arkansas. In the UGA game, he injured his ribs (I don't think they were broken). But anyway, the point is that the shoulder bone isn't connected to the rib bone. ;)

And to be fair (hard as it is for me to be so, when Bama's involved), Brodie's knee wasn't the result of contact. It was just a freak misstep that could have happened on the practice field or even chasing a frisbee. ...Although I guess the same could be said for Prothro's injury.

Archived