Defense

auman64

Hey Guys..went to the game yesterday..Let me start this off by saying that Auburn's defense looked very very good. I do have one question or would like some thoughts on one subject...Was it just me or did it seem like that we had a very difficult time getting much pass rush on Russell? Is it a scheme of our new defense to rush less people and drop more back in coverage because it did seem like we had everybody covered alot..or did we try to put pressure on the QB and were just unable to because they blocked us?

I thought the LSU offensive line provided Russell the best protection you will see form any line this year. They were a wall.

LSU dropped many passes but Russell was under pressure and our DBs were absolutely everywhere.

Hey Guys..went to the game yesterday..Let me start this off by saying that Auburn's defense looked very very good. I do have one question or would like some thoughts on one subject...Was it just me or did it seem like that we had a very difficult time getting much pass rush on Russell? Is it a scheme of our new defense to rush less people and drop more back in coverage because it did seem like we had everybody covered alot..or did we try to put pressure on the QB and were just unable to because they blocked us?

I think it was just LSU's O-line was doing a great job for the most part. AU got a couple of coverage sacks but other than that there wasn't a dominating pass rush. I was thinking there would be more blitzing from Muschamp but I guess the reason for that was that they didn't want to take a chance on Russell beating the blitz. Call it respect. Russell has really improved and I think this will be a breakout year for him. We're lucky AU played them early.

Did we ever sack Russell? I remember several times he flushed from the pocket and was tackled, but it was after he crossed the los. I may be wrong, but I don't remember any sacks.

It was a combination of things. First, LSU's line was doing great. So don't take anything away from them.

However, our scheme did have a little to do with it. We very rarely blitzed, choosing instead to drop 7 into coverage. Second, we deliberately did not run a lot of stunts or hard up field rushes to keep Russell in the pocket. He is most dangerous when he rolls and scrambles away from the pocket because then the coverage breaks down and those fast WRs find openings.

So it was a combination. LSU has an excellent offensive line AND we didn't go all out with the pressure by design.

I kinda thought what you all seem to be saying..it didnt appear that we blitzed very often and i figured there was a reason why...it appeared that our coaches opted to drop in coverage more than come after him.. its hard to second guess that decision..since LSU only scored 3 points..wonder if that scheme will change when we play a very yound QB like that guy from Georgia..be interesting to follow and see...

Archived