FL DL suspended 5 games

quietfan

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/loca...ports-headlines

GAINESVILLE-

University of Florida defensive tackle Marcus Thomas spent part of today in meetings with school officials, including Athletic Director Jeremy Foley, to appeal a five-game suspension he received earlier this week for marijuana use.

Thomas' mother, Sheila Mote, said her son tested positive twice for marijuana between the middle of July and the end of August. But she and her son believe both results indicate only one use of the drug.

"Basically, we think he's being hit with double-jeopardy," she said in a phone interview this afternoon. "He's being hit twice with the same mistake.

"I'm behind him 100 percent."

Mote said her son's "mistake" was ingesting marijuana at a mid-summer party. When he returned to campus in mid-July, he failed a first test. That prompted the school, in accordance with its substance-abuse policy, to suspend him for the season opener.

A second test, which Mote said came three to four weeks after the first, also came back positive. Again, in accordance with school policy, the school suspended Thomas for 50 percent of his team's season.

"After the incident in the summer, we talked and I thought we had gotten past this," she said. "I don't think it was enough time for him to... get [the drug] out of his system."

On the Southeastern Conference coaches teleconference this morning, UF Coach Urban Meyer declined to confirm the punishment and said he would comment on the matter at an appropriate time.

The policy allows a sanctioned athlete to appeal his punishment to Foley. The athlete is allowed to present circumstances that might have influenced the test. Under the policy, Foley then makes a recommendation to the Substance Abuse Committee -- which handed down the original suspension -- about whether to change the conditions of the punishment.

The committee is appointed by school President Bernie Machen and is made up of UF faculty and staff plus personnel from the University Athletic Association. The majority of voting members on the committee must be from the faculty and staff.

Maybe he could transfer to Tuscaloosa and play this week? :big:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/loca...ports-headlines

GAINESVILLE-

University of Florida defensive tackle Marcus Thomas spent part of today in meetings with school officials, including Athletic Director Jeremy Foley, to appeal a five-game suspension he received earlier this week for marijuana use.

Thomas' mother, Sheila Mote, said her son tested positive twice for marijuana between the middle of July and the end of August. But she and her son believe both results indicate only one use of the drug.

"Basically, we think he's being hit with double-jeopardy," she said in a phone interview this afternoon. "He's being hit twice with the same mistake.

"I'm behind him 100 percent."

Mote said her son's "mistake" was ingesting marijuana at a mid-summer party. When he returned to campus in mid-July, he failed a first test. That prompted the school, in accordance with its substance-abuse policy, to suspend him for the season opener.

A second test, which Mote said came three to four weeks after the first, also came back positive. Again, in accordance with school policy, the school suspended Thomas for 50 percent of his team's season.

"After the incident in the summer, we talked and I thought we had gotten past this," she said. "I don't think it was enough time for him to... get [the drug] out of his system."

On the Southeastern Conference coaches teleconference this morning, UF Coach Urban Meyer declined to confirm the punishment and said he would comment on the matter at an appropriate time.

The policy allows a sanctioned athlete to appeal his punishment to Foley. The athlete is allowed to present circumstances that might have influenced the test. Under the policy, Foley then makes a recommendation to the Substance Abuse Committee -- which handed down the original suspension -- about whether to change the conditions of the punishment.

The committee is appointed by school President Bernie Machen and is made up of UF faculty and staff plus personnel from the University Athletic Association. The majority of voting members on the committee must be from the faculty and staff.

Maybe he could transfer to Tuscaloosa and play this week? :big:

Gainesville has long been known for having the stickiest of the icky.

"Does it take that long for marijuana to leave the system?"

Typically about 30 days. A funny thing about marijuana is that an occasional smoker is more likely to have it stay in his/her system longer than a daily smoker. Don't ask me why but I have seen it in studies before.

Does it take that long for marijuana to leave the system?

Drug tests for weed measure the amount of THC and THC can take a while to get out of the system. Unless he smoked some of the highest grade weed available, the THC from the middle of July should have been undetectable after six weeks IMO.

Does it take that long for marijuana to leave the system?

Drug tests for weed measure the amount of THC and THC can take a while to get out of the system. Unless he smoked some of the highest grade weed available, the THC from the middle of July should have been undetectable after six weeks IMO.

And I would share that opinion.

Why IS marijuana illegal anyway? Kind of a stupid thing to ban if you ask me.

Personally I don't understand how you can claim to be a conservative and then deny somebody the ability to smoke what he damn well pleases.

Why IS marijuana illegal anyway? Kind of a stupid thing to ban if you ask me.

Personally I don't understand how you can claim to be a conservative and then deny somebody the ability to smoke what he damn well pleases.

*dialing the DEA* <_<

Say. Where do you live? Maybe we'd like to drop by for a visit.

^^^^^cause the gov't doesn't make any money off of it yet....

shor answer: racism. do some research on harry j. anslinger and you'll find out why it's illegal.

shor answer: racism. do some research on harry j. anslinger and you'll find out why it's illegal.

Ridiculous. This poor guy has been the potheads' whipping boy since the 60's. Can't you come up with something better than the standard pomo conspiracy crap?

Anybody want to guess the current average THC content of mid-grade marijuana in the SE USA? What was it during the early 70's when the "marihuana is harmless" studies were conducted? How about guessing the profile of the "average" marihuana user in the US (race, sex, income, # of dependants, how much MJ smoked per month)?

The past forty years' explosion of marijuana smokers in the US has REALLY been beneficial to society.

The real answer is the one Kunzel gave. Eventually, one of our parties will figure out they can make a buck off it to spend on their constituents. Then, Katie, bar the door....we will just THINK we have addiction problems now.

Ridiculous. This poor guy has been the potheads' whipping boy since the 60's. Can't you come up with something better than the standard pomo conspiracy crap?

Anybody want to guess the current average THC content of mid-grade marijuana in the SE USA? What was it during the early 70's when the "marihuana is harmless" studies were conducted? How about guessing the profile of the "average" marihuana user in the US (race, sex, income, # of dependants, how much MJ smoked per month)?

The past forty years' explosion of marijuana smokers in the US has REALLY been beneficial to society.

The real answer is the one Kunzel gave. Eventually, one of our parties will figure out they can make a buck off it to spend on their constituents. Then, Katie, bar the door....we will just THINK we have addiction problems now.

What's so hard to figure out? How does the govt. make money from cigarettes? Alcohol?

i'm not a pothead so don't make assumptions. never smoked, never will. honestly i don't really care why it's illegal, i've just always heard anslinger. i'll look into your explanation if you can give me a little background info.

back on topic...it sucks for the florida player but any pressure we can take off cox is a good thing.

Story from CBS today.....

Gators suspend top pass rusher Thomas after second violation Sep. 20, 2006 CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida defensive tackle Marcus Thomas was suspended indefinitely Wednesday for a second violation of the school's substance-abuse policy, leaving the fifth-ranked Gators without their top pass rusher.

Coach Urban Meyer said Thomas, a senior from Jacksonville who leads the team with three sacks, will miss at least Saturday's game against Kentucky.

"He is suspended," Meyer said. "The whole situation is under review. It's under evaluation, and I'll comment when it's appropriate. There's no timetable. Nothing is set in stone."

Thomas spent part of Wednesday in meetings with school officials to appeal the suspension he received earlier this week for marijuana use, his mother said. Sheila Mote said her son tested positive twice for marijuana between the middle of July and the end of August. She believes both results are from the same drug use.

Mote said her son ingested marijuana at a party this summer. When he returned to campus in July, he failed a first drug test, which prompted school officials to suspend him for the season opener.

Marcus Thomas has 138 career tackles and 13 sacks.

A second test, which Mote said came three to four weeks after the first, also came back positive. According to the school's drug policy, Thomas could be suspended for 50 percent of the season.

School officials denied reports that Thomas already had been suspended five games.

Thomas has the right to appeal any suspension to athletic director Jeremy Foley. Athletes are allowed to present circumstances that might have influenced the test. Under the policy, Foley then makes a recommendation to the Substance Abuse Committee, which handed down the original suspension, about whether to change the conditions of the punishment.

"I just have to learn more about it," Meyer said.

Thomas is a three-year starter who has 138 career tackles and 13 sacks. Without him, the Gators will move defensive end Ray McDonald to tackle and insert sophomore Derrick Harvey into the starting lineup.

"He's definitely a big player," linebacker Brandon Siler said. "He's definitely an impact player up front, but I think our defensive line was loaded before he went out. I'm pretty sure that we have people that can step in and step up to the plate. We still have a good defensive line. We still have a good defensive front even if we do lose him.

"If there was any position on the field that we felt had the most depth, it was on the D-line."

That quote is fishy, imo. I'd be willing to bet he's on the field October 14th.

Archived