Forget polls and ESPN the REAL PROBLEM

ProgRock

It's the fourth game in the season.....Wanted:lost passing game..description about 250 to 300 yards long wearing multiple Wide receiver numbers.Has the tendency to win big games and is crictical to owners running game.If found please return to Brandon Cox for a reward well over 100,000 grateful fans.

Running the ball controls the clock. Controlling the clock controls the game. Establishing a running game will also wear down a D, usually in the middle or end of the 3rd quarter. We didn't have to run Saturday. If anything, our running game needs some improvement. When that improves, the passing game will naturally improve.

he had a sprained knee, also he threw the ball ten times. calm down. Outside of the LSU game our goal has been to establish the run. All cox has to do for us to win is to throw for about 180 and a touchdown each game.

I don't want to continue to catch heat, so I am going to say that in time all will be well and you shouldn't disagree with anything the staff is doing. On the point mentioned before, it could be argued either way: a good passing game helps the running game or a good running game helps the passing game. It's more a matter of which do you prefer. Also, it's about matchups. Against LSU, Borges thought we could throw on them, hence, we came out throwing. When that didn't work, it was almost too late to get the running game going because LSU know we couldn't beat them passing. We managed a drive that won us the game. That's football. I for one, would like a balanced attack. I HATE teams that run 1st, and 2nd downs, and throw on 3rd if it is over 4 yards. That was our 2003 offense. Keeping the other team off balance is really what good teams do. See Auburn 2004, and USC in recent years.

I really like teams that throw on first, run on second, and aren't afraid of a draw play or screen pass on third and long. That is the kind of combination that will be successful for Auburn.

Running the ball controls the clock. Controlling the clock controls the game. Establishing a running game will also wear down a D, usually in the middle or end of the 3rd quarter. We didn't have to run Saturday. If anything, our running game needs some improvement. When that improves, the passing game will naturally improve.

I disagree.The passing game cannot improve if you only pass 10 times.For something to be improved it has to be used and used correctly.

I'm more of a passing type person, if the NFL uses passing more then I got to go with the big boys.

Tonight on CSS Talking Sports, one of the announcers said he would have played Kenny Irons even if he was a little hurt to get his numbers up for the Heisman. Is he stupid or what, just what Kenny needs, play hurt and take a chance of getting hurt worse and be out for the season. I am glad Tubberville sat him out. Also looks like Ben Tate is the real deal!

These sports analysts only think of numbers, not the human being that is making the numbers. When we beat LSU they said we needed more offense, Ohio State (thanks to its defense) comes close until the end of getting beat by Penn State and they think they are great.

I hope and pray we win out and show them what we are made of, we have a coach who thinks of the players before himself and winning! Discipline and healing come first with Tubberville and we will be better off because of it. :cheer:

I disagree.The passing game cannot improve if you only pass 10 times.For something to be improved it has to be used and used correctly.

I'm more of a passing type person, if the NFL uses passing more then I got to go with the big boys.

The SEC is not the NFL. Most SEC teams don't have million dollar receivers to throw to. We run the ball to set up the pass, not the other way around. We are about 70/30 right now. What more do you want? I think CAB is doing a fantastic job, and when we need to pass more he will pass more.

None of my business, but I remember Jason Campbell having a lot of " 13-18 180yd" games. Has something changed in Borges offense? AU's won a lot of games with that passing output.

None of my business, but I remember Jason Campbell having a lot of " 13-18 180yd" games. Has something changed in Borges offense?

No, not really that I am aware of. I think we are actually passing a little more this year. We don't throw 40-50 yard passes very much, but we do pass.

The SEC is not the NFL. Most SEC teams don't have million dollar receivers to throw to. We run the ball to set up the pass, not the other way around. We are about 70/30 right now. What more do you want? I think CAB is doing a fantastic job, and when we need to pass more he will pass more.

There are many teams in CF that pass more than run with success USC is one of them.I like running the ball but to be great you HAVE to pass it more than we are doing now.What more do I want?EVERYTHING and perfection is always an ever changing absolute.Alway strive for perfection if not then your your settling for mediocracy.

There are many teams in CF that pass more than run with success USC is one of them.I like running the ball but to be great you HAVE to pass it more than we are doing now.What more do I want?EVERYTHING and perfection is always an ever changing absolute.Alway strive for perfection if not then your your settling for mediocracy.

Defense in the PAC-10 is totally different than defense in the SEC. If we were in the PAC-10 we would be passing the ball a lot more.

Not to start an argument, but I remember USC coming in here a couple years ago and throwing all over us. To say that you can't win in the SEC by passing is stupid. Teams play SEC teams all the time and win while passing. Do I think it is vital that you have a running game, yes, but I remember Steve SPurrier having success throwing the ball. I think a lot of it comes down to coaching. I would put money on it that coach Borges wants to throw more than we do, but Coach Tubs likes to play defensive ball. I like winning so I don't want to pick sides, but there are many examples of teams throwing their way to SEC Championships. There is a mindest in the coaches of the SEC right now that running gives you the best shot. This has a lot to do with the youth at quarterback in the league as well as the wealth at the runningback position, eg UGA, ARK, AU,AL,TENN,etc. This will change as Stafford and Smelly and Tebow get more experience and the SEC will all of the sudden be a passing league, or at least more balanced than it is now.

"In 2006 Auburn has attempted just 54 passes while running the ball 154 times." scout.com

i believe in running the football but i believe more in a balance attack, ratio should be about 50/50. never throwing the ball puts to many guys in the box and makes it harder to run. if we can get this ratio to 50/50 i think kenny irons could have less carries and get more yards

Grass is always greener on the other side. Against GT we threw the ball over 40 times and racked up 300 plus yards and walked out with a L.

Lets be honest with Buffalo, we wanted to get in there, get over quick and with no injuries, and be as healthy as possible for Thursday night. We knew that if ran the exact same play up the middle everytime it would eventually take its toll and we would score points. Most of the prep was probably spent on South Carolina and getting people healthy.

We lost alot of talent and experience in the reciever core.... Obamanu, Aromashadu, Mix, Wallace, and now we have lost Bennett. With the exception of Taylor we have alot of untried recievers and if they aren't showing anything in practice then we are going to stick with the run if its working.

amen, we don't need anything as long as we get another mark in the win column. I assure that the staff knows what it's doing. There was a time that people were livid over the fact that Will Herring was still starting, regardless of the fact that he led the team in tackles. Now, people are singing his praises as a leader of our defense. Maybe Cox isnt ready for a game like GT (40+ passes) and maybe the receiving corps isnt ready. Or even better yet, maybe we'er just showing more production with the run. IMO it's easier to throw an interception than it is to fumble. The run is safe, the run controls the clock, the run wears down the opponent's defense, and the run is winning us games (Except Miss St.) Why stop running unless you have to? (Like in Starkville)

for all of you on this thread that want that perfect Pro Offense just watch a former OC in the Nfl... coach Shular at bammar seems to be flawed with that comparison mmmmm....... :big:

I think Stat will back me up here but our win numbers are:

150 Rushing and 180 passing. I think we are almost undefeated since 1981 if we have 150 rushing.

The more I listen to ESPN and it's band of so called "experts", the more pleased I am that CTT stood up to them and voiced his displeasure with their "comments" and Preferences" determining so much in the MNC race. Now it seems, they are trying to "get back at him" through ignoring Auburn this year as well as critical remarks about his needing to play KI when he was hurt. Hey, it's none of their freaking business in the first place and secondly, it only illustrates their own single mindedness and stupidity. It' such a shame that the sports media in this country has digressed to a point that they can't just do their job by reporting sports news and facts and leaving their damn opinions out of it. The public is fairly intelligent and can figure out guys without your so called expert input! :angry:

The problem I have with this thread and the posters that say we need to pass more...is because some how I know that if things were the opposite those same posters would be on here yelling "The problem is WE NEED TO RUN MORE". If there is one thing I've learned some people are never gonna be happy win or lose, so its pointless to argue.

I will say this in regards to this past Sat and Cox's game....we mailed it in guys....we were hurting after a big win, the team knew they were gonna win and the dedication wasnt there, they were flat....RELAX!!! We got it done the final score was fine....we didnt drop in the polls. We are gonna take it to USC on Thursday Night! WDE!

I am an ex-quarterback so I like to see more passing in a game. Auburn's offense has been somewhat boring to watch this year and I don't know if Borges is holding back for later or if he feels we do not have the weapons. We need to throw at least a couple of bombs per game to keep the defense honest and we haven't done that yet. We are winning right now so I don't have alot of room to criticize, but if we lose this year it will be because our offense has not been imaginative enough. Borges is a great offensive mind so I am a little confused by his playcalling so far. Think back to the LSU game, we ran offtackle to the right side like five times in row, called another play to shake things up, then went back to the off-tackle five more times.

Put together what Argo, DKW,a nd 518 said. There you have it. Auburn has predominantly always been a running team. We don't need 30 yard passers b/c we are Running Back U. We need/have a consistent well disciplined QB that makes good decisions, ala Jason Campbell. JC had many a flawless games he finished with 175 to 200 yards passing, a TD, maybe two, no INTs, an about 65% completion percentage!!! That combined with a power running game steadily getting 150+/game and AU wins, probably 99%.

Like 518 said, I think Saturday's slow start was hangover from the mentally and physically draining win over LSU. How do the coaches motivate players to go out against a Buffalo team to give it 110% after a game like that against LSU???? I think it is virtually impossible. It showed in our playing. Not to mention how banged the guys are. They will be ready for the game against USC.

I am an ex-quarterback so I like to see more passing in a game. Auburn's offense has been somewhat boring to watch this year and I don't know if Borges is holding back for later or if he feels we do not have the weapons. We need to throw at least a couple of bombs per game to keep the defense honest and we haven't done that yet. We are winning right now so I don't have alot of room to criticize, but if we lose this year it will be because our offense has not been imaginative enough. Borges is a great offensive mind so I am a little confused by his playcalling so far. Think back to the LSU game, we ran offtackle to the right side like five times in row, called another play to shake things up, then went back to the off-tackle five more times.

Att/Comp/Int Yds TD

Brandon Cox 18-11-0 191 1 vs Washington State (40-14)

Brandon Cox 27-18-0 249 2 vs. Miss St. (34-0)

Brandon Cox 20-11-1 110 0 vs. LSU (7-3)

Brandon Cox 10-6-1 134 0 vs. Buffalo (38-7)

Boring to watch? I dont know about you but, other than the LSU score those are all pretty high Offensive scores....since when does only winning by 30 points make an offense boring to watch. Let me tell you something his stats for LSU....well... they have that good of a Defense and guess what I'll take the win. Against Buffalo he threw 10 times and completed 6 balls for 134 yards ....he didnt need to throw, btw thats a 22.3 yard per pass avg. But since I should take my own advice above and not argue, I guess you are right our offense is boring, but I'll take our ol' 29.7 scoring avg. combined with our 6 avg. points per game defense.

In 2004 Borges had our receivers, backs and tight ends moving before the snap, in motion, all sorts of great stuff(I don't know the technical names for it). Why do you more knowledgable football fans think we no longer do that? It confused the defense and kept us one step ahead on offense. I am not criticizing, we are winning and that is good enough for me but it was so much fun to watch.

:au:

Archived