Forget polls and ESPN the REAL PROBLEM

ProgRock

Grass is always greener on the other side. Against GT we threw the ball over 40 times and racked up 300 plus yards and walked out with a L.

Lets be honest with Buffalo, we wanted to get in there, get over quick and with no injuries, and be as healthy as possible for Thursday night. We knew that if ran the exact same play up the middle everytime it would eventually take its toll and we would score points. Most of the prep was probably spent on South Carolina and getting people healthy.

We lost alot of talent and experience in the reciever core.... Obamanu, Aromashadu, Mix, Wallace, and now we have lost Bennett. With the exception of Taylor we have alot of untried recievers and if they aren't showing anything in practice then we are going to stick with the run if its working.

And we went to LSU last year and put up well over 200 yards rushing and came out with a loss.What's your point?My point is I want balance both running and passing.In 2004 if I was defending against Auburn I wouldn't know who to stop..2004 AU could beat you both ways.If it came down to running a 2 minute drill for a score,I really don't know if we could do it this year.NO long ball and really no 15 to 20 yard passes at all.Maybe a sprinkle in the Miss State game.Cox if your reading this throw a long one for me buddy.Thanks

Grass is always greener on the other side. Against GT we threw the ball over 40 times and racked up 300 plus yards and walked out with a L.

Lets be honest with Buffalo, we wanted to get in there, get over quick and with no injuries, and be as healthy as possible for Thursday night. We knew that if ran the exact same play up the middle everytime it would eventually take its toll and we would score points. Most of the prep was probably spent on South Carolina and getting people healthy.

We lost alot of talent and experience in the reciever core.... Obamanu, Aromashadu, Mix, Wallace, and now we have lost Bennett. With the exception of Taylor we have alot of untried recievers and if they aren't showing anything in practice then we are going to stick with the run if its working.

And we went to LSU last year and put up well over 200 yards rushing and came out with a loss.What's your point?My point is I want balance both running and passing.In 2004 if I was defending against Auburn I wouldn't know who to stop..2004 AU could beat you both ways.If it came down to running a 2 minute drill for a score,I really don't know if we could do it this year.NO long ball and really no 15 to 20 yard passes at all.Maybe a sprinkle in the Miss State game.Cox if your reading this throw a long one for me buddy.Thanks

And why did we lose that LSU game? Because the recievers were dropping passes left and right that night, couple down by the endzone and several that would have kept drives alive. I had Silas Daniels in one of my classes and he said that game was the recievers fault as Vaughn should never have been put in the position to have to kick that many FG's. But against GT we had 5 turnovers from the QB position and none against LSU in that game.

Why did we end up with FG's on alot of our first drives against WSU? Because recievers dropped third down passes. We lost a ton of talent and experience at that position. Tuberville even said the plan against LSU this year was to throw more, but once that pass deflected off the hands of one of recievers for a pick that changed it. They did try and go deep a couple of times against LSU this year, and the results were one offensive PI and a defensive PI that wasn't called and both were to Taylor. Rodriguiz, Billings, Dunn etc have not stepped it up yet and until they do the passing game is not going to be effective. Watch Cox, he is locking onto Taylor which tells me he has no confidence in his other recievers and that mistrust starts in practice. Thats just a educated guess, cause I have not been watching practices or anything.

I'd like to see us balance it out more myself, but until the recievers demonstrate that we got more than just Taylor its a risk. I'm sure the staff is working on that right now as we speak cause it is the obvious weakness we have. I'm hoping they spent the time working on the passing game (like they did with our run game last year) and decided not to show any of it against Buffalo .

Agreed on all points! I think the running game is our bred and butter. The passing game has always been second. Period. CAB has show the formations and movement but at different times. I think the biggest point so far is that we have won 4 games and still not played a complete game. The offense with the new rcivers needed some time to gell. Thursday is the perfect time to take the wraps off of the offense and from what I am seeing we will do so. So lets take a deep breath as I have had to since that woeful first half against UB and get ready for another SEC dogfight and JUST WIN. Run, pass, trick play, Kick field goals JUST WIN!!!!!

I'm with ya.Texas.I just want to win.I don't care if we have to run every play to do it,I'll be fine with that(although a little board),I'm just scared if we have to pass we won't be able to.If these young WR are the problem I pray that grow up fast. :au:

If we are going to be a complete team, we do need to pass a little more. In 2004, when we were a complete team, we passed a little more. It opened up the run and gave us a balanced attack. In time, I think we can get this. Cox doesn't look very comfortable throwing it deep right now. I think we can open it up a little bit but not a ton. Running the ball is good for controling the game, but if we don't show teams that we can pass the ball effectively, then we won't be able to run the ball effectively.

This is a CLASSICALLY Auburn topic. We love our running game more than I think anybody in the country. Sure we're the school of Pat Sullivan and a half-dozen other great QBs, but defense and running ARE Auburn. War Damn Eagle :au:

I'm with ya.Texas.I just want to win.I don't care if we have to run every play to do it,I'll be fine with that(although a little board),I'm just scared if we have to pass we won't be able to.If these young WR are the problem I pray that grow up fast. :au:

I'm right there with you, passing game scares me atm also. I just don't want us to get the mindset we gotta pass to do anything and end up putting ourselves in second and third and longs cause we thought we had to throw the ball.

What is Cox's record as a starter? ;)

I don't doubt Cox at all, it's the recievers I'm worried about. He can hit em the hands all day but it won't matter if they don't catch it or run good routes.

I don't doubt Cox at all, it's the recievers I'm worried about. He can hit em the hands all day but it won't matter if they don't catch it or run good routes.

Exactly. But it seems that Cox is getting some heat that is not deserved. All will be okay. We faced one of the best defenses against LSU, then Cox was battered and bruised against Buffalo. Like somebody said, we mailed it in against Buffalo. Those games are called "letdown" games for a reason.

Archived