Hiring old alumni/players.

DKW 86

Hiring Alumni  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Plus or Negative

• Big Plus, Pulls fans together.
    • Mild Plus! He is loyal to his university.
    • Neutral
    • Mild Negative, Cant fire one of ours as fast.
    • Big Negative, Coach thinks he can under achieve longer due to loyatly.

I think it depends.....If the guy is a good coach and can benefit the program then yes, but if you are doing it simply because of the fact that he went to the school and you have a position to fill....well no one would do that would they? :blink::ua:

Such as hiring Coach Willis??

I say a big plus. Not for reason mentioned, but b/c he has something in common with the players and another way to connect to them.

I don't like it myself.

One of the biggest arguments i have with fellow :au: fans is that they think we need to bring in Patrick Nix to be successor to Tubbs because he is a Auburn man.

This day and age you got to go with the best qualified no matter where they are from.

This day and age you got to go with the best qualified no matter where they are from.

Yes. And you need to balance and bring in outside people and new ideas. If you only hire people from your own program, then over time, they lose the ability to take the program to a competitive level because all they know how to do is what they have done. There can be no synergistic collaboration because they all have the same ideas.

This is a death sentence over time if you do not hire others with fresh ideas.

I think it is mild plus. If you have two pretty evenly matched individuals, and one is an alum, go w/ the alum. The fans like it, he may be more loyal to the program (and thus be more likely to stay if he is successful), and, as someone else noted, he may be better able to relate to the players b/c he went to the same school, lived in the same place, etc.

That being said, those factors won't make up for inferior talent, so if you can get an "A" level coach from somewhere else, or a "B" level coach from the program, always go w/ the "A" level person.

I think, no matter the situation, you go after the best possible coach for whatever position needs to be filled. Now, if there is not much difference in the coaching abilities of candidates, yet one was a former player, you then have to look at one factor...Would the other guy go all Chizik and leave for greener pastures?

As a fan, I would like to think that a former player would be more loyal to the University. That can have an adverse affect too though, if they do not get the job done as expected. It then becomes harder for a coach to fire someone who has been loyal to his former school.

I think we are witnessing some of those possible problems across the state as we speak.

Archived