Pre Game Flight

DKW 86

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Below is an email response I received following an inquiry to Jay Jacobs:

Wes,

Thank you for your email. It is unfortunate that there has been so much misinformation on this topic. At no time has the Auburn Athletic's Department had the intention of not having the eagle flight due to ESPN's presence. It is our understanding, according to the Raptor Center, that the eagle flight will occur as has always been planned.

Sincerely,

Nikki Borges

Auburn Athletics

That's pretty cool that you got a reply from Nikki, instead of Jay. :thumbsup:

Too bad she didn't include a personal photo . . . B)

Am I the only Auburn fan who actually likes ESPN? I love being able to turn to ESPN on Saturday at almost anytime of the day and catch a football game.

ESPN is like the 24/7 news networks. If you want to watch a game, ESPN is great. If you want to see a major news event, the 24/7 news networks are great. If you are watching during their filler time, which is the quantity over quality crap they produce to fill the 24 hours 7 days a week, its pretty lackluster.

Campus is already starting to buzz right now. It has been a LOOONNG time since I saw staked out, roped off, tailgate spots on Thursday morning. But they are out there. More buzz already and more people already than I can remember on Thursday for any game since 2002.

It's against the rules, but I am honestly glad to see them out there.

Regarding your link CircleDrill here is what I sent last night:

"Mr. Jacobs,

I thought Auburn would not allow ESPN to do skycam if it interfered with the eagle’s flight before the game. I have heard several reports on JOX in Birmingham and from various other friends of mine who have said they heard Auburn had to change the eagle’s launch, flight path, etc to comply with the almighty ESPN. If the reports are true, I am very disappointed in Auburn, and all the powers in charge. It seems to me every time I turn around; I hear Auburn is caving in again towards the almighty gods of ESPN for an extra dollar or two. This is not what I was taught and raised to understand Auburn University to be.

I hope that I have ranted and raved enough to bend your ear a little so that you can understand where I stand in my beliefs and what I was led to believe. If it is not true then everything will be normal, and you can then disregard my ranting. However, if the rumors I have heard (some of them on JOX) are true, then God help Auburn University and all who are in charge. Just remember, I am one of the millions of fans of Auburn University who believe in Auburn and not the moneygrubbers at ESPN. I do not want to hear that ESPN is important to Auburn so that we can get a national TV audience at any cost. What I would like to see from Auburn is someone with some authority tell the powers at ESPN to kiss their a** and that Auburn does not need them EVER! I do not like them, I do not respect them, and I do not particularly care for any of them who are part of the college side of programming. They have ruined College Football and they will continue to do so until the end. It seems we do not have a choice as far as programming goes sometimes, so occasionally, I have to cave in to watch their lack luster productions.

Again, I hope I am wrong and the eagle will be able to fly like normal from whatever position the trainers choose. If this is so, again please accept my apologies and WAR EAGLE! Nevertheless, if we have to cave in to ESPN’s CRAP, then God help Auburn University!

Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter. Please accept my apologies, but I am passionate about my beliefs and about Auburn University, and I do not want to see Auburn appease anyone based on money and any other foolish reasons."

I don't know if it will do anything, but who knows. I know this reply has nothing to do with this original thread, but you had the link up. I think everyone should email him and let him know how they feel!

I hope its still abuzz tomorrow and throughout the whole weekend. Hopefully, Auburn will decide to show up, execute, and play hard. And ultimately, we all will have some fun in Auburn this weekend and the players play with some passion and they too have some fun!

War Eagle! :au:

I'm sure you have Jacobs reconsidering. :au:

Since when did Jay Jacob's consideration play any part at all in what happens in the Auburn Athletic Department?

Since Lowder started paying his salary... :roflol:

Here is the FORM REPLY good ol' Jay sent me (He must have sent it before Ms Borges had to take over):

"aukooze91,

Thanks for the email.

The eagle's flight embodies the Auburn spirit and has become one of our most revered game-day traditions. We are thrilled to host ESPN this week and welcome them to campus, but Spirit's graceful flight is an important part of the Auburn experience and adds to the pageantry that our fans pay to see. The eagle will fly on Saturday.

War Eagle and God bless,

Jay

Jay Jacobs '85

Athletics Director

Auburn University

2006, NCAA WOMEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS

2006, Varsity Equestrian National Champions

2006, '04, '03, '02 NCAA WOMEN'S SWIMMING & DIVING CHAMPIONS

2006, '05, '04, '03, '99, '97 NCAA MEN'S SWIMMING & DIVING CHAMPIONS

2006, SEC MEN'S SWIMMING & DIVING CHAMPIONS

2006, 05 SEC WOMEN'S GOLF CHAMPIONS"

Here is how I responded:

"Therefore, my next question is where exactly is the eagle to take off from? I know you said midfield, but up top, on the ground, from the water bucket, where?

Thanks for your time and consideration of this matter."

His reply will probably be, "That is top secret info."

Archived