Pre Game Flight

DKW 86

Just walked by the stadium on my way into Haley...

Indeed, there are Skycam cables coming off of the corner lightposts.

FURIOUS.

:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::realmad::realmad::realmad:

Has j jacobs replied to any of us confirnig or dening?

Yes. I emailed him with my concern about the Skycam on Monday and here is what he wrote back:

Dear Sid,

Thanks for the email.

We will not allow "Skycam" to prevent our pre-game eagle flight. It is full circle, but they may have to do it without the skycam. I told ESPN that last year after the Tech game.

Have a great day and thank you for the words of encouragement.

God bless and War Eagle,

Jay

Jay Jacobs '85

Athletics Director

Auburn University

jacobs@auburn.edu

334-844-9861

Spin-meister. Give it to us straight, Jay.......

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm...I would suggest we all calm down and see how the flight goes off before we start getting all fired up about it. Who knows what "midfield" actually means. If you start getting all worked up now and sending JJ e-mails and then the flight looks as great as ever, you are going to feel like a idiot. If it does interfere with the normal flight, then by all means call out JJ for it.

I hate to use on old cliche', but I think it is warranted.. "Assumptions do what?". :big:

Umm...I would suggest we all calm down and see how the flight goes off before we start getting all fired up about it. Who knows what "midfield" actually means. If you start getting all worked up now and sending JJ e-mails and then the flight looks as great as ever, you are going to feel like a idiot. If it does interfere with the normal flight, then by all means call out JJ for it.

I hate to use on old cliche', but I think it is warranted.. "Assumptions do what?". :big:

I only sent the one, pleasant email on Monday. I am withholding any further comments until after the game. Agree 100% with what you said.

.....(taking deep breaths...)..... :)

I'm guessin that the "midfield flight" will be the eagle flying straight down from the upper deck. If there are cables, I'm sure they won't let the eagle circle the stadium. It would be too risky. But I think they did change the position of the skycam cables. I think they were connected at the corners of the upper deck for the ga tech game.

So do you mean to tell me that the Spirit or Nova will leave from under the jumbo tron like it did last year for GA Tech. The eagle flew from the jumbo tron to midfield in like three seconds. I hate that.

That is the thing. Nobody knows. It could be something like GT 2005, but Jacobs implied in his email that that would not be happening again. It may be something cooler than we usually have.

We will just have to wait and see I guess.

Campus is already starting to buzz right now. It has been a LOOONNG time since I saw staked out, roped off, tailgate spots on Thursday morning. But they are out there. More buzz already and more people already than I can remember on Thursday for any game since 2002.

It's against the rules, but I am honestly glad to see them out there.

Regarding your link CircleDrill here is what I sent last night:

"Mr. Jacobs,

I thought Auburn would not allow ESPN to do skycam if it interfered with the eagle’s flight before the game. I have heard several reports on JOX in Birmingham and from various other friends of mine who have said they heard Auburn had to change the eagle’s launch, flight path, etc to comply with the almighty ESPN. If the reports are true, I am very disappointed in Auburn, and all the powers in charge. It seems to me every time I turn around; I hear Auburn is caving in again towards the almighty gods of ESPN for an extra dollar or two. This is not what I was taught and raised to understand Auburn University to be.

I hope that I have ranted and raved enough to bend your ear a little so that you can understand where I stand in my beliefs and what I was led to believe. If it is not true then everything will be normal, and you can then disregard my ranting. However, if the rumors I have heard (some of them on JOX) are true, then God help Auburn University and all who are in charge. Just remember, I am one of the millions of fans of Auburn University who believe in Auburn and not the moneygrubbers at ESPN. I do not want to hear that ESPN is important to Auburn so that we can get a national TV audience at any cost. What I would like to see from Auburn is someone with some authority tell the powers at ESPN to kiss their a** and that Auburn does not need them EVER! I do not like them, I do not respect them, and I do not particularly care for any of them who are part of the college side of programming. They have ruined College Football and they will continue to do so until the end. It seems we do not have a choice as far as programming goes sometimes, so occasionally, I have to cave in to watch their lack luster productions.

Again, I hope I am wrong and the eagle will be able to fly like normal from whatever position the trainers choose. If this is so, again please accept my apologies and WAR EAGLE! Nevertheless, if we have to cave in to ESPN’s CRAP, then God help Auburn University!

Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter. Please accept my apologies, but I am passionate about my beliefs and about Auburn University, and I do not want to see Auburn appease anyone based on money and any other foolish reasons."

I don't know if it will do anything, but who knows. I know this reply has nothing to do with this original thread, but you had the link up. I think everyone should email him and let him know how they feel!

I hope its still abuzz tomorrow and throughout the whole weekend. Hopefully, Auburn will decide to show up, execute, and play hard. And ultimately, we all will have some fun in Auburn this weekend and the players play with some passion and they too have some fun!

War Eagle! :au:

Campus is already starting to buzz right now. It has been a LOOONNG time since I saw staked out, roped off, tailgate spots on Thursday morning. But they are out there. More buzz already and more people already than I can remember on Thursday for any game since 2002.

"Mr. Jacobs,

I thought Auburn would not allow ESPN to do skycam if it interfered with the eagle’s flight before the game. I have heard several reports on JOX in Birmingham and from various other friends of mine who have said they heard Auburn had to change the eagle’s launch, flight path, etc to comply with the almighty ESPN. If the reports are true, I am very disappointed in Auburn, and all the powers in charge. It seems to me every time I turn around; I hear Auburn is caving in again towards the almighty gods of ESPN for an extra dollar or two. This is not what I was taught and raised to understand Auburn University to be.

I hope that I have ranted and raved enough to bend your ear a little so that you can understand where I stand in my beliefs and what I was led to believe. If it is not true then everything will be normal, and you can then disregard my ranting. However, if the rumors I have heard (some of them on JOX) are true, then God help Auburn University and all who are in charge. Just remember, I am one of the millions of fans of Auburn University who believe in Auburn and not the moneygrubbers at ESPN. I do not want to hear that ESPN is important to Auburn so that we can get a national TV audience at any cost. What I would like to see from Auburn is someone with some authority tell the powers at ESPN to kiss their a** and that Auburn does not need them EVER! I do not like them, I do not respect them, and I do not particularly care for any of them who are part of the college side of programming. They have ruined College Football and they will continue to do so until the end. It seems we do not have a choice as far as programming goes sometimes, so occasionally, I have to cave in to watch their lack luster productions.

Again, I hope I am wrong and the eagle will be able to fly like normal from whatever position the trainers choose. If this is so, again please accept my apologies and WAR EAGLE! Nevertheless, if we have to cave in to ESPN’s CRAP, then God help Auburn University!

Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter. Please accept my apologies, but I am passionate about my beliefs and about Auburn University, and I do not want to see Auburn appease anyone based on money and any other foolish reasons."

I don't know if it will do anything, but who knows. I know this reply has nothing to do with this original thread, but you had the link up. I think everyone should email him and let him know how they feel!

I hope its still abuzz tomorrow and throughout the whole weekend. Hopefully, Auburn will decide to show up, execute, and play hard. And ultimately, we all will have some fun in Auburn this weekend and the players play with some passion and they too have some fun!

I'm sure you have Jacobs reconsidering. :au:

"Mr. Jacobs,

I can only hope and wish this was so! :roflol:

"Mr. Jacobs,

Since when did Jay Jacob's consideration play any part at all in what happens in the Auburn Athletic Department?

It was all good until you hit this part. At this point in time, you began to sound a little.....s c a r y!

Just remember, I am one of the millions of fans of Auburn University who believe in Auburn and not the moneygrubbers at ESPN. I do not want to hear that ESPN is important to Auburn so that we can get a national TV audience at any cost. What I would like to see from Auburn is someone with some authority tell the powers at ESPN to kiss their a** and that Auburn does not need them EVER! I do not like them, I do not respect them, and I do not particularly care for any of them who are part of the college side of programming. They have ruined College Football and they will continue to do so until the end. It seems we do not have a choice as far as programming goes sometimes, so occasionally, I have to cave in to watch their lack luster productions.

They are attaching the cable to the light posts where the lights are, unlike where they have been in the past. If we let the eagle go midfield of the upper deck that should give enough clearance for the eagle to soar around the field.

Why else would ESPN have been out since tues. working on trying to get the Skycam set up that high when they could have easily put it where they usually do.

Im sure it will be ok.

"Mr. Jacobs,

I moved some of the posts from the "Campus is Buzzing" thread to this thread so that we did not have two threads going on about the same thing.

As I stated, you may want to hold off on the e-mails until you see exactly how the flight is going to take place. It could come off just as great as it normally is, then you would have looked silly sending out e-mails about the issue.

Since they have attached the cables to the light post, maybe they can pull the skycam ABOVE where the eagle would fly.

You people need to calm down. The sky cam wires are rigged to the light poles which means they can pull the camera and wires all the way to the top of the stadium and allow the eagle to fly normally.

Against Ga. Tech, the Sky cam wires were rigged on the bottom of the upper deck, which meant that they were below the flight zone of the eagle.

Everything will be fine, do go spouting off e-mails that you will regret later.

Since they have attached the cables to the light post, maybe they can pull the skycam ABOVE where the eagle would fly.

Say, that gives me an idea ... ... Talk about a bird's eye view -- the skycam could follow right behind the eagle on its flight!

Personally, I will only get worked up if we don’t fly our actual mascot (You remember Tiger don't you?) OK....due to medical difficulties maybe Nova, too. At least it’s the same species. And since Auburn (maybe just the Raptor Center) robs us of that privilege more than ESPN, I don’t see the big deal.

Am I the only Auburn fan who actually likes ESPN? I love being able to turn to ESPN on Saturday at almost anytime of the day and catch a football game.

I dont truly dislike ESPN either, i just get mad when they interfere with stuff

I do not "hate" espn. I DO strongly dislike what passes for "commentators" on the network.

Below is an email response I received following an inquiry to Jay Jacobs:

Wes,

Thank you for your email. It is unfortunate that there has been so much misinformation on this topic. At no time has the Auburn Athletic's Department had the intention of not having the eagle flight due to ESPN's presence. It is our understanding, according to the Raptor Center, that the eagle flight will occur as has always been planned.

Sincerely,

Nikki Borges

Auburn Athletics

Below is an email response I received following an inquiry to Jay Jacobs:

Wes,

Thank you for your email. It is unfortunate that there has been so much misinformation on this topic. At no time has the Auburn Athletic's Department had the intention of not having the eagle flight due to ESPN's presence. It is our understanding, according to the Raptor Center, that the eagle flight will occur as has always been planned.

Sincerely,

Nikki Borges

Auburn Athletics

That's pretty cool that you got a reply from Nikki, instead of Jay. :thumbsup:

Archived