Southern Discomfort

DKW 86

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...ings/index.html

Ranking the top SEC teams is no easy task this season

Posted: Tuesday October 17, 2006 11:58AM; Updated: Tuesday October 17, 2006 6:06PM

Without question, the most common fan complaint about rankings (mine or anyone else's) is when a team gets placed behind another team with the same record and which it beat head-to-head. As I've explained in the past, I try to be cognizant of such cases as much as possible (i.e. keeping Tennessee ahead of Cal following the Bears' win over Oregon two weeks ago, debuting Arkansas ahead of Auburn last week), but eventually you reach a point in the season where it becomes downright impossible.

Take the case of the four one-loss SEC teams ranked in my Top 15. As of last week, their order was: No. 2 Florida, No. 7 Tennessee, No. 12 Arkansas and No. 13 Auburn. If I were to adhere strictly to head-to-head results, I would presumably need to bump Auburn ahead of Florida after last weekend's result, correct? So, let's say I put Auburn eighth and Florida ninth. But then I'd also need to make sure the Razorbacks stay ahead of the Tigers, which would mean moving them up five spots for beating Southeast Missouri State. Plus, the Vols would now be ahead of the Gators, whom they lost to at home.

Do you see what I mean?

At this point, all you can do is rank 'em in order of who's impressed you the most over the course of the season. As a result, the Gators remain my highest-ranked SEC team this week, because a close road loss to Auburn didn't change my opinion that they're one of the five best teams in the country. It's not like that result wipes out their wins over Tennessee and LSU. The Vols and Auburn are close behind the Gators. Arkansas, though it certainly did clean Southeast Missouri's clock, remains where it was last week.

#8 Auburn Tigers (6-1)

During the second half of Saturday night's Florida game, when the momentum started really swinging Auburn's way, Jordan-Hare got as loud as any stadium I've ever heard -- particularly after Quentin Groves' two third-down sacks. It may be my new favorite place to watch a game.

the game wasn't that close, tense and a tight first half yes.

You are right it wasn't close. In the first half Auburn could not stop Florida. We played a horrible first half on defense and were lucky to only be behind by 6. The second half is a different story, and Auburn's defense played great. But to say it wasn't close is looking through orange-colored glasses....remember, Auburn did not score an offensive TD and the 10 point victory is a bit deceiving.

"In the first half Auburn could not stop Florida. We played a horrible first half on defense and were lucky to only be behind by 6"

Well the same could be said about Florida. They played a bad game on defense in the first half and were lucky Auburn was leading at the half.

Auburn's offense moved the ball pretty well against Florida D. Fumble inside the 5 yard line and settling for FG's did a lot to help keep Auburns score down in the first.

Archived