North Carolina fires coach

TigerOne

The first of how many? Not too surprising

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-footb.../102206aaa.html

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - John Bunting will not return as head coach of the University of North Carolina football program in 2007, Director of Athletics Dick Baddour announced this evening. Bunting, a 1972 UNC graduate, is in his sixth year as the Tar Heels' head coach. Bunting will continue to coach the Tar Heels through the rest of this season.

I'm not sure I understand the point of firing a coach mid-season. I guess it frees them up to start the search for the replacement, but most of the candidates won't do anything until the current season is over anyway.

On a side note, I was at what might have been the last straw: the 23-0 drubbing UNC recieved from a mediocre (at best) Virginia team.

Side note two: Can't believe we lost to UNC in the Peach Bowl a few years back.

The first of how many?

Yeah, may be a lot of changes in HC positions this year. CTT might be looking for a new coordinator again, but I hope not. I suppose that's one bright side of looking less than impressive at times this year. CAB and CWM aren't looking quite so shiny.

And... N.C. has contacted Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville regarding the vacated HC job at NC. And this rumor just out, CTT will be offered EVERY head coaching job vacated this year. :roflol:

I just wanted to go ahead and get that out of the way. :poke:

Guest BoStillKnows

I heard UNC wanted Butch Davis but he is holding out in case a has-been, washed-up, tired, out-dated, arrogant, run-down, boring program has a vacancy and wants to hire him. Didn't he already turn down West Vance once or was that the guy that went somehwere in the northwest or maybe I'm thinking about the guy at South Florida.

I'm not sure I understand the point of firing a coach mid-season. I guess it frees them up to start the search for the replacement, but most of the candidates won't do anything until the current season is over anyway.

On a side note, I was at what might have been the last straw: the 23-0 drubbing UNC recieved from a mediocre (at best) Virginia team.

Side note two: Can't believe we lost to UNC in the Peach Bowl a few years back.

They had a decent player on the D-line if I remember correctly that year. :rolleyes: He ended up being pretty good.

people on the espn boards are reporting that they've offered Rich Rodrigez 1.8 million

I don't think Rich leaves for UNC. He might go to say a FSU or UM if offered one of those, but not UNC, IMO. He's got a good thing going where he is, excpet for OOC scheduling.

Archived