The Bear's State Troopers

JohnDeere

ESPN Link

Trooper nearly kept one scribe from chronicling history

In anticipation of the victory that would eclipse Amos Alonzo Stagg's once-untouchable record of 314 wins, SI ran a cover story on the Bear that very week, and as I rolled into town to record the actual unfolding of the moment, everybody -- yes, everybody -- had read that story, and everybody (I really mean this: everybody) was talking about it.

Trouble was, the story my colleague Frank Deford wrote was not quite the hero-worshipping hosanna that the Church of the Crimson Tide would have expected. Instead of hailing the Bear for his greatness, Deford pilloried the coach as ornery, racist and a downright hindrance to higher education.

"I'm authorized to go to the interview area. It's my job," I said, showing my press credential.

"That there says you're from Sports Illustrated," the trooper announced. Then he shouted to the crowd of fans now pressing in around us: "Y'all think we should let Sports Illustrated into the interview area?"

Boos, jeers and some dollops of spittle rained upon me. I got angry. "If you don't let me in there, *bleep*, the most important sports magazine in America is not going to carry the story of this game!"

"That's it," said the trooper. "You guys asked for it. Now I'm going to place you under arrest!"

"What's the charge?" I said, expecting to hear something about libel or slander or heresy.

"Cursing," he said. "In front of women."

At that point, I wanted to go to jail. Imagine the stories I'd be able to tell!

But just then, the Auburn sports information director walked by and said, "Let him through, boys."

ESPN Link

Trooper nearly kept one scribe from chronicling history

In anticipation of the victory that would eclipse Amos Alonzo Stagg's once-untouchable record of 314 wins, SI ran a cover story on the Bear that very week, and as I rolled into town to record the actual unfolding of the moment, everybody -- yes, everybody -- had read that story, and everybody (I really mean this: everybody) was talking about it.

Trouble was, the story my colleague Frank Deford wrote was not quite the hero-worshipping hosanna that the Church of the Crimson Tide would have expected. Instead of hailing the Bear for his greatness, Deford pilloried the coach as ornery, racist and a downright hindrance to higher education.

"I'm authorized to go to the interview area. It's my job," I said, showing my press credential.

"That there says you're from Sports Illustrated," the trooper announced. Then he shouted to the crowd of fans now pressing in around us: "Y'all think we should let Sports Illustrated into the interview area?"

Boos, jeers and some dollops of spittle rained upon me. I got angry. "If you don't let me in there, *bleep*, the most important sports magazine in America is not going to carry the story of this game!"

"That's it," said the trooper. "You guys asked for it. Now I'm going to place you under arrest!"

"What's the charge?" I said, expecting to hear something about libel or slander or heresy.

"Cursing," he said. "In front of women."

At that point, I wanted to go to jail. Imagine the stories I'd be able to tell!

But just then, the Auburn sports information director walked by and said, "Let him through, boys."

This article was the inspiration for starting the "Bear Bryant Slander" thread. I've heard he was a racist (as well as a wife beater) on many occasions, but have never heard a specific example. I'm genuinely curious as to why this is said about him so often.

Archived