Post game thread

Ranger12

Okay, I'm a little unhappy. I'm a little disturbed. I'm a little uneasy. But I ain't got NOTHIN' to say. A win's not a win, though. That's bammer talk. Seriously. A win't not a win.

Just want to make sure I understand the rules:

Being down on your team after a close win is "bammer talk." (GG didn't say that here but most of us have made fun of Bama for it in the past).

Congratulating your team after a close win is "bammer talk."

That leaves supporting your team after a loss and screaming about how great you are after a big win as acceptable talk?

While I prefer good sportsmanship and big wins, there's more to Auburn football than that!

Man, I don't know anything any more. I really don't. I know Shula get tons of ridicule here and in practially every venue in the state -- including his hometown newspaper -- for being happy after close wins over inferior opponents. "A win's a win" is his mantra.

AU plays like warmed over monkey urine against one of the worst teams in the SEC, a team that not only sucks, but has a complete boob for a coach and was missing a number of suspended and dismissed starters, a team that had no linebacker to fill a spot and moved a safety up for his first start, a team that we dismantled with ease last season and I'm not going to smile like I'm eating a sandwich of happy jam and spout the Shula "win's a win" line.

Right now on ESPN, they're banging on Auburn noting that the game was tied in the fourth.

If Auburn is clearly the better team -- as they have been in most games this season -- I'd like to see them play like it and put some of these putzes away. There was no excuse -- no excuse at all -- for that game to be close in the fourth quarter.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Backers do need a little help. Haven't seen Sears lately and with his size he should have been able to give some run support. I know he hurt his shoulder and with him being held so long that urt his chances to play this year. Did Sears redshirt? I wonder if he would redshirt since the suspension and injury. Dede was looking for contact from the fullback all day and they would run right by him across the middle. Dede is a great player and is still learning the position as well as Herring. Blackmon played well at time today and he will get better and bigger. If you look at our D we gave up some big plays but they also had chances to have a couple of 3 and outs but personal fouls and PI caused the drives to be extended which resulted in scores. I thought officiating was horrible but that didn't cost us anymore then our turn overs. I love to watch the game on TV but I would rather pay for paperview then to watch a Lincoln Financial game again. Next up Arkansas State who is 5-2 so one game at a time.

O Line looked good,Cox had all day to throw and he threw pretty well.I was actually impressed with the play calling....but look.....we don't HAVE to run the ball in the end zone from the five...that was our mistake in my opinion.boot leg do the ole Wufferul(sp) to Chris Doering play, pick a spot in the corner time it and throw to the WR(when on the 5 yard line).

Hate to say it but we need new Linebackers, at least two ,right away. Dee and Will aren't cuttin the mustard.When the middle is that open on runs and passes well you know who you are..cough (LB).The flaw was the D pure and simple,our offense would have kept moving the ball.Brock still looks good by the way... and Tristan still isn't being used enough.We'll fall in the polls....but who cares...this defense is going to make nearly any team look good.Here's to just getting by Ark St. UGA and Bama by the skin of our teeth and looking forward to a rebirth of a new and improve Auburn football team.Signing out for the year the PROG.

Seeing how you sound like you have given up on the team already, I am glad you are signing out for the year. Don't need fairweather friends like you around.

Okay, I'm a little unhappy. I'm a little disturbed. I'm a little uneasy. But I ain't got NOTHIN' to say. A win's not a win, though. That's bammer talk. Seriously. A win't not a win.

Just want to make sure I understand the rules:

Being down on your team after a close win is "bammer talk." (GG didn't say that here but most of us have made fun of Bama for it in the past).

Congratulating your team after a close win is "bammer talk."

That leaves supporting your team after a loss and screaming about how great you are after a big win as acceptable talk?

While I prefer good sportsmanship and big wins, there's more to Auburn football than that!

Man, I don't know anything any more. I really don't. I know Shula get tons of ridicule here and in practially every venue in the state -- including his hometown newspaper -- for being happy after close wins over inferior opponents. "A win's a win" is his mantra.

AU plays like warmed over monkey urine against one of the worst teams in the SEC, a team that not only sucks, but has a complete boob for a coach and was missing a number of suspended and dismissed starters, a team that had no linebacker to fill a spot and moved a safety up for his first start, a team that we dismantled with ease last season and I'm not going to smile like I'm eating a sandwich of happy jam and spout the Shula "win's a win" line.

Right now on ESPN, they're banging on Auburn noting that the game was tied in the fourth.

If Auburn is clearly the better team -- as they have been in most games this season -- I'd like to see them play like it and put some of these putzes away. There was no excuse -- no excuse at all -- for that game to be close in the fourth quarter.

:thumbsup:

It will bite us in the arse (again) this year. Fix the problems please, 17 pts to Ole Miss??? :puke:

Backers do need a little help. Haven't seen Sears lately and with his size he should have been able to give some run support. I know he hurt his shoulder and with him being held so long that urt his chances to play this year. Did Sears redshirt? I wonder if he would redshirt since the suspension and injury. Dede was looking for contact from the fullback all day and they would run right by him across the middle. Dede is a great player and is still learning the position as well as Herring. Blackmon played well at time today and he will get better and bigger. If you look at our D we gave up some big plays but they also had chances to have a couple of 3 and outs but personal fouls and PI caused the drives to be extended which resulted in scores. I thought officiating was horrible but that didn't cost us anymore then our turn overs. I love to watch the game on TV but I would rather pay for paperview then to watch a Lincoln Financial game again. Next up Arkansas State who is 5-2 so one game at a time.

Sears is injured. He made the trip -- although on Wednesday it was thought he wouldn't -- and was dressed, but he didn't play.

Supposed to be back next week.

AU played poorly in my opinion. Stupid penalties and turnovers really steam my goat. Another thing that roasts my goat? Garbage officiating. My goat is black and smoking right now.

There was the idiotic holding call on third and inches when the first down was made. Was there actually holding on that play? I don't think so, it looked like a hose job, but it was called, we got backed up and then turned it over.

False starts turned second and two into second and seven a couple of times. Those singed my goat's hair completely off.

How many of their drives were extended by personal fouls and sham interference/holding calls? The holding on Irons was utter nonsense.

And then the worst of all -- late in the game on the third down run by Kenny, the ref comes in and marks the spot with his foot a good half yard in front of the line that made the first down mark. Then when they go to measure, the ball's been moved back at least a yard, maybe more. That was such a hose job.

Ghost is exactly right. I heard several times this week about how the intensity in practice picked up and how our players were ready to go. We had just about everyody back to 100%. Ole Miss played us. They came in with nothing to lose and they showed us up. We may have won, but, just like the South Carolina game, I don't think we deserved the win. ( in some ways )

Too many PENALTIES! My God! One right after another! Play with discipline and control guys! Ole Miss showed up to play and we just weren't focused. Georgia or Bama would eat us up in a game like that. Will Muschamp is much smarter than that and he needs to rise up and get his players to adjust.

Offensively, I just think our "smashmouth football" approach is not helping us. We take a long LONG time to score and Brandon Cox may have found his rythm but the big pass to Lee Guess today was the first big offensive play I've seen from Auburn in many games. It takes us 5 to 6 minutes to get into the red zone and mabye we score or maybe not. Then Ole Miss totally punks our defense and can score in half the time. We've got to step up if we have any chance of winning out.

Oh yeah, and someone please tell me why Tristan Davis isn't being used for punt returns?

Ryan

I have this to say:

Considering every thing that this team has incurred lately, we should be greatful for a 10+ win season.

Did I miss something?

Well, considering the injuries and the amount of new players we have on the field.

Maybe I am just optimistic, but I think our D is nog doing as bad as most people think it is. It looks bad at times, giving up big plays and such, but we have some new young guys on the defensive side of the ball. LBOH, Marks, Savage are all redshirt freshmen. Couple that with a first year coordinator I think we are doing fairly decent.

On the offensive side, I think we are rolling along. We racked up over 400+ yards today and our offense is finally picking up steams. There are still times when we should score TDs but it is what it is.

We are at 8-1. We are bowl eligible and I think we are in good shape to finish the season strong. It's not as great as the 04 season and the 05 season, but during this point in the 05 season we had 2 losses.

I have this to say:

Considering every thing that this team has incurred lately, we should be greatful for a 10+ win season.

Did I miss something?

Yes, you did miss something, that is if you don't know what I'm referring to here. Injuries and inconsistent play have plagued us all season. Although our defense doesn't give up as many points as your typical Pac Ten defense, they have been used and abused by just about every team since LSU, with the exception of Florida in the 2nd half. Our line can't hold the middle, any team that wants to line up man-to-man and run straight at us has no trouble in doing so, and we're prone to giving up the big play. Yet, our red zone defense has impressed me, most of the yard accumlated by the opposition usually goes to field goals, not touchdowns. It's the typical "Bend but don't Break" policy that we have played with often during the CTT era.

Our offense is struggling, we've had injuries to our QB and our O-line. Our receivers are young and have had problems getting open all year, although I must say that I saw a lot of improvement from the receiving core today.

Despite all of these unexpected occurrences, we're 8-1 and in a great position to win a championship this year, most likely conference although a NC is still a slight possibility.

So, yes, we have a lot to be greatful for from this team. Maybe you missed the fact that we're a fortunate 8-1 but I didn't.

I believe we need to stop scheduling lesser opponents. All year Auburn has stepped up to the plate against ranked opponents or those they thought were a threat. They obviously thought Arky wasn't a threat, so they didn't show up. Auburn didn't show up today either, show it would seem to me that scheduling lesser opponents has been to Aurburn detriment. Champions don't need a rest, they need a challenge. :au:

I believe we need to stop scheduling lesser opponents. All year Auburn has stepped up to the plate against ranked opponents or those they thought were a threat. They obviously thought Arky wasn't a threat, so they didn't show up. Auburn didn't show up today either, show it would seem to me that scheduling lesser opponents has been to Aurburn detriment. Champions don't need a rest, they need a challenge. :au:

Not when you play 12 straight games with no bye. Are there not enough injuries?

Ladies and Gentlemen

EVeryone needs to realize this years TIgers really have not played a COMPLETE game all year!!!! We have had some great quarters (3rd qtr of SC) and some great halves (2nd half of UF). IF, rephrase, when they play a complete game on Offense AND Defense, AU could beat anyone, anyone in the country, IMO, but they have not done that. CTT has even made mention of this and how it baffles him. Hopefully, these last 3 games they will put together the best games of the year.

AU is still one of the top RED ZONE scoring offenses in the SEC. Coming into this game AU was 24/28 scoring in the red zone, with 16 TDs and 8 FGs. After today, I think that makes AU 28 out of 33, iwth 18 TDs and 11 FGs.

Today things didn't all go our way. A fumble, an INT, too many penalties, all things AU has not done all year, BUT we managed to get the WIN. I was thoroughly impressed with the OL. They have stepped it up over the last 2 weeks. Cox has looked a lot better throwing the ball the past 2 weeks also. Maybe the injury was inhibiting him. Our passing game, save for the drop by CT, looked much better than any game all year.

I pity the team that gets a complete game from our Tigers. I pray that happens against UGA and the bammers. WAR EAGLE!!!!

9 games into the season this team should be far more polished than they showed this week. I am happy with the win but I am still not sold this team knows you can not take a team lightly even if its ole miss. All in all a win is a win but I would like to see more fire out or our guys.

Got to go with GG on this! Didnt get to see the game, like many of the pollsters didnt, and all I can say is wow just wow. Ole Miss is one of the worst teams in the leauge and I would love one of the sunshine gang to tell me why we played to a tie midway through the fourth quarter. Sloppy play and no intensity is the sign of an overconfident team PERIOD!!!! I made a thread last week at how poorly we played against Tulane and got railed.. Does anyone have any reason why I felt that way??? I do BECAUSE WE HAVE SUCKED OUT LOUD most of the year!!!!!! And to stop one thing that I have seen in here just because someone says something negative doesnt mean they are a fairweather fan or that they dont love Auburn as much as the next fan. To that point I came back last week and posted a thread called POSITIVE and asked what you all love the most about Auburn and got a grand total of 2 count em 2 posts. So to me it seems that all some of us want to do is name call and ridicule people that want more out of our team. And I will say it again PATHETIC!!!!!! 3 times this year we have been 17+point favorites and wet the bed each and every time WE LOST ONE OF THOSE!!!!!!!!! If some of you here want to call out people for calling a spade a spade then so be it. BUT take LSU, WSU and the 2nd half of the Fla game out of the mix and tell me what we have done to be in the BCS top 5?????

A couple of random thoughts:

1) 2 big turnovers in the first half. We had 3 first half possesions 2 TOs and 1 TD - very unlike us.

2) Penalties were out of control today

3) W got 2 big picks in the second half - they were HUGE plays, and IMO made the difference.

4) We were too soft in the middle - poor tackling, and blown coverge in the middle caused too many big plays.

Overall, not a picture perfect game, but the big thing I think we have all failed to notice is good teams fin a way to win - even when not clicking on all cylinders.

Well, I don't think you could possibly say we have "peaked" so far this year. ;)

AU hasn't played a consistant game for 4 quarters this year. When and if it ever happens - it should/could be impressive.

Got to go with GG on this! Didnt get to see the game, like many of the pollsters didnt, and all I can say is wow just wow. Ole Miss is one of the worst teams in the leauge and I would love one of the sunshine gang to tell me why we played to a tie midway through the fourth quarter. Sloppy play and no intensity is the sign of an overconfident team PERIOD!!!! I made a thread last week at how poorly we played against Tulane and got railed.. Does anyone have any reason why I felt that way??? I do BECAUSE WE HAVE SUCKED OUT LOUD most of the year!!!!!! And to stop one thing that I have seen in here just because someone says something negative doesnt mean they are a fairweather fan or that they dont love Auburn as much as the next fan. To that point I came back last week and posted a thread called POSITIVE and asked what you all love the most about Auburn and got a grand total of 2 count em 2 posts. So to me it seems that all some of us want to do is name call and ridicule people that want more out of our team. And I will say it again PATHETIC!!!!!! 3 times this year we have been 17+point favorites and wet the bed each and every time WE LOST ONE OF THOSE!!!!!!!!! If some of you here want to call out people for calling a spade a spade then so be it. BUT take LSU, WSU and the 2nd half of the Fla game out of the mix and tell me what we have done to be in the BCS top 5?????

Tell me again why should I take away LSU, WSU and 2nd half of FLA? Flip the coin around, why don't I take away Arkansas, Ole Miss, Buffalo, Tulane and every game we've played thus far that is not up to snuff? Imagine that, leave just WSU, LSU and FLA, I say we deserve our BCS Top 5 and more!

Are you joking???!!! I guess you will take this and pump it full of sunshine and rainbows and be devastated when we lose again. We have never in any one of our games looked like a top 5 team in ANY POLL! This team plays like it doesnt care!!! And if that is the case then why do I get so pumped for the games?? I totaly agree you can flip that comnet but tell me you truly belive if we played THE Ohio State university (note extreme sarcasm) that they wouldnt make us look like they did Minn today!!!!!!!

I'm glad for the win, but we still looked sloopy.

Maybe it's just the early start. Who knows.

Oh well, thank god for bad coaching. Oh yeah, Ole Miss, you might want to remind your team next time that the clock starts when the offical puts it in play, not when the ball is snapped. Poor poor coaching.

Are you joking???!!! I guess you will take this and pump it full of sunshine and rainbows and be devastated when we lose again. We have never in any one of our games looked like a top 5 team in ANY POLL! This team plays like it doesnt care!!! And if that is the case then why do I get so pumped for the games?? I totaly agree you can flip that comnet but tell me you truly belive if we played THE Ohio State university (note extreme sarcasm) that they wouldnt make us look like they did Minn today!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, we definitely will get slaughtered by THE Ohio State (not sure if sarcasm is included) but then again who wouldn't? Today has really been a funky game, this is the first game all season that we've been committing uncharacteristic penalties. On that department I chalk it up to a fluke performance. Two turnovers in the same game, one interception by Brandon when he has only thrown for 2 the 8 games before this one. That I am okay with.

Now, if you don't take those two into account, our offense had 400+ yards and defense allowed only 260. Those two are all above our offensive production and below what our defense normally allows. I think this one of those games where the points on the board doesn't reflect the production. Sure, I'd like to score more points and I'd like our defense to be better, but at this point in the season I will take what I can get. If 9 games into the season our defense is still missing tackles etc, then it is what it is and there's nothing I can do about it.

I am just like you, 4 games back, upset that our team is not playing well, etc etc. I came to live with the fact that we are just not that good on defense, and our offense will probably be the same from now till the end. 4 games ago I couldn't enjoy the game because I had such lofty expectations for it, so what did I do? I lowered my expectation, and I recommend the same to you, it will make the game much more enjoyable :)

WDE!

I think some of you need to apologize to the folks you ripped anew one on last week. Sounds like their assessment of the team after the Tulane game was more on the money than you wanted to believe.

One again the question is, did we get better against a lesser opponent?

Geez Louise, some of this is legit but a lot is over the top negative. I f we haven't played a complete game this year and we're 8-1 (beating 2 top 5 teams along the way) how are we NOT a legit MNC contender? That's BS. I'm not blowing sunshine up anybody's skirt, but the the facts are the list of MNC teams that played up or down to the competition during the season is staggering.

Will Herring needs to work on his angles

Playing Dede in the middle is a gamble, more speed for less size, but most middle LBs need more size than he has right now.

Muschamp's abilities are proven and this is NOT a CWM slam, but he IS responsible for MAINTAINING basic skills in our defense. Football defenders, like every athlete in every sport, need the basics ENFORCED over and over again. Tackling is basically simple but because of the infinite angles, speeds, etc., it's also infinitely complex. You can play football 20 years and not see every possible tackling situation. In other words "wrapping somebody up" is easier said than done, it requires mind numbing repitition of the basics and, IMHO, our defense is clearly lacking this enforcement. The same athletes are making the same fundamental errors in back to back games.

"They play like they don't care" - Are you on drugs or just stupid? Those players care - they bust their tail ends in the weight room year round, play through the heat of spring practice and two-a-days, and lay their butts on the line each and every day. To sit behind the keyboard and snivel about how pumped YOU are for the games and the players aren't sounds ridiculus - why not try out for the team? I bet you have elidgebitily left, right? If you get offended because you feel "attacked" think about how your post would make anyone on the team feel if they read it.

To have a team that has played as well as ours the past couple of years has absolutely spoiled alot of our fans. Expectations have been raised to the point that it would be just about impossible to meet them. We're ranked in the top 10, and have a really good shot at a BCS bowl. Is it a perfect team or season - not by far, but it's also nowhere near as bad as alot of people like to make it sound.

Archived