Defense not improving

PowerI

It doesn't seem that our linebackers and secondary are getting any better. Yea, they played great against LSU and MSU, but since then, the only game they played good was the second half against Florida and that was after a getting reamed in the locker room. We don't stand a chance against UGA and bammer if we don't step up.

This is not the 2004 team and nowhere close. Now with that said we are still winning and although not pretty, I'll take it. Our defense has been getting reamed all the way back to the Capital One Bowl. Almost a full year with two different defensive coaches. I say the problem is personnel. They are not big enough and I don't feel our secondary is all that good. Secondary is a major weakness on this team. Hopefully the D can do just enough the rest of the way to win until we can get some new guys in there to go back to playing typical Auburn D.

It doesn't seem that our linebackers and secondary are getting any better. Yea, they played great against LSU and MSU, but since then, the only game they played good was the second half against Florida and that was after a getting reamed in the locker room. We don't stand a chance against UGA and bammer if we don't step up.

You do to this board what Howard Sprague did to The Andy Griffith Show.

They are still learning the complicated system IYAM...

The big games LSU and UF we tell the players to just go out there and make plays...Fly around and hit people..don't think, just react...That is why we look so good against those two teams...

The lesser games is when we're telling our players "think about and try to use our new system on defense. Don't worry if you miss a play we just want you getting comfortable and be in the right spot"...so our guys are thinking too much and missing plays.

IYAM once our guys are able to play full speed in the system then our talent and a great system (not sure if its great yet...just complicated) will marry and we'll have a stout defense again.

Keep in mind this defense is MUCH MUCH different from the soft pro-style defense we played last year.

i bet buffalo fans would love to be in our position right now...

Give me a freakin break. Yeah, alot of teams would like to be 8-1, but are we going to compare ourselves with the Buffaloes and Tulanes of the world? I think the problem is is that too many Auburn fans become complacent.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Don't get my smart ass comment wrong. We do have issues on that side of the ball. We give up too many big plays. But I don't think we'll come up with a sufficient answer for the poster formerly known as Eeyore (who only posts in the bad times and not the good.)

I guess it's worth repeating. The defense is not the problem. The offense is. It is not scoring enough points that's why you think the defense is the problem.

I repeat...Remember Fred Talley and Andrew Zow. They both sliced through Auburn's defense like a hot knife through already melted butter.

Remember the circumstances? Chizik's first year as DC. He had a new Gap Control system, just as Muschamp has a new system. I don't like seeing this any more than the next guy, but the record still speaks for itself. 8-1 with one horrible game on both sides of the ball. Every other week, either the offense or the defense does enough to win the games. Enough said.

The OL is now finally healthy, and Rod Smith has stepped up into the #2 receiver spot to help take some of the pressure off of CT. Barring a major injury, the O will be just fine the rest of the season. That may be the best news we as fans could hear, because the D just hasn't progressed as quickly as we would like.

IMO, as good as I think he is, Josh Thompson hasn't stepped up into a leadership role on the team. I also saw that out of TJ in his Junior year. Besides Josh, there is much talent, but they are all Freshmen and Sophomores. I tend to think that is part of the overall problem. If they get outschemed by an OL, it will leave huge gaps. I believe that we can all agree that there have been some big holes on a few running plays.

Last I checked our football team was winning games. There is really no reason to complain as long as we find a way to win.

Yes I agree it's best to ignore a glaring problem and just wait for it to be exposed just a bit more and eventualy cost Auburn a game.

Be right back, I need to get a towel to wipe this sarcasm off my keyboard.

I guess it's worth repeating. The defense is not the problem. The offense is. It is not scoring enough points that's why you think the defense is the problem.

No actually I think the defense is the problem because I watch the game and I see opposing offenses chewing up huge chunks of yards.

No actually I think the defense is the problem because I watch the game and I see opposing offenses chewing up huge chunks of yards.

Our D is giving up just about the same amount of yardage as the 2004 squad did.

As many have said, it is what it is now that we're 9 games in to the season. They're not going to wake up just before the UGA game and be bigger, faster or stronger than they are today. They may grasp CWM's schemes a bit better or he may put in a wrinkle or two that will change things. But, short of CTT calling them a bunch of bed-wetting mama's boys and inspiring them to play above their heads, we're just going to have to will them through the rest of the year.

We've got some areas that it's going to take a year or two for Muschamp to get his type of guys in place. If we only have to "Suffer" through 1-2 loss seasons until then...I can live with that. :big:

Darn those Auburn coaches. How dare they win 24 out of the last 26 SEC Games. I mean, they have Auburn ranked in the TOP TEN yet again. Just pathetic. We need a change! ! ! !

p.s. Please, would someone pass the Tylenol.

Last I checked our football team was winning games. There is really no reason to complain as long as we find a way to win.

Yes I agree it's best to ignore a glaring problem and just wait for it to be exposed just a bit more and eventualy cost Auburn a game.

Be right back, I need to get a towel to wipe this sarcasm off my keyboard.

Yea your typing on internet message board is going to make sure they really notice the problem..

... Our D is giving up just about the same amount of yardage as the 2004 squad did.

Maybe so, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Recognize also that the game clock rules have decreased the games by an average of 13 minutes, or 10-11 plays from last season. So, even though the total yds given up by the '06 D is about the same as the '04 D, the '04 squad was on the field longer -- almost an entire quarter longer. You can't disquise the fact that the '06 D has given up a ton of yards. Their saving grace has been the way they get really stingy in the red zone.

Giving up big junks of yardage??? What?? AU D is 5th in SEC in pass D allowing 166 ypg, 5th in rushing D allowign 120 ypg, 3rd in TO margin +5 (credit to D and O), 4th in total D allowing 287 ypg, tied 2nd in sacks by at 23, 2nd in red zone D allowing opponents to score 13 out of 22 times, only 7 TDs, AND the most important 3rd in scoring D at 12.8 ppg!!! Some teams may have moved the ball on teh D, but they are not giving up points, which is all that matters. A team can have 350 total yards of O, but if they only have 13 points on the board, I just about guarantee AU wins!!! Our O has flopped really only once that was against Arky!! No one on the field for AU was ready to play that day.

Our D has been playing well. Our O has been playing pretty good, with some bad spots. If the O clicks, as I think they are about to, with Cox healthy, Irons healthy, and the OL coming together, UGA and bama are in trouble!!!!!!!!!!

We just have to get better. It is the front four in my opnion that has not stepped up. We can not get any pressure without blitzing. We have players with 250 lb body frames with another 50 lbs of fat. Accept for Sims. We need to get some of the biggest and the ugliest monsters we can find. Our line needs true 275-300 lb bodies. Nothing against our linemen. I only weigh 205. They would burry my little rear end.

... Our D is giving up just about the same amount of yardage as the 2004 squad did.

Maybe so, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Recognize also that the game clock rules have decreased the games by an average of 13 minutes, or 10-11 plays from last season. So, even though the total yds given up by the '06 D is about the same as the '04 D, the '04 squad was on the field longer -- almost an entire quarter longer. You can't disquise the fact that the '06 D has given up a ton of yards. Their saving grace has been the way they get really stingy in the red zone.

Yardage in 04, and even some last year, was mainly gained in the 4th quarter when the game was out of hand. JLMNOPW's hail mary that accounted for 1/3 of uat's total yardage last year?

Archived