Georgia's Injuries...

TigerfanKM

For their first practice of the week heading into the Auburn (9-1, 5-1) game, head coach Mark Richt and the Georgia Bulldogs (6-4, 3-4) received some good news and some bad news regarding all of the injuries that have surrounded the team this year.

Adams will start against Auburn.

First the good news, junior guard Chester Adams will start at tight guard at Auburn and he will also serve as the backup offensive tackle because senior Michael Turner will not be able to play.

"I have to be the backup up tackle in case Dan (Inman) or Shack (Ken Shackleford) go down, I will have to rotate around," said Adams. If the Bulldogs go the bench, sophomore Seth Watts will be the first option and then redshirt freshman Ian Smith. The second emergency tackle is junior guard Fernando Velasco.

Adams did not make the trip to Kentucky to rest his ankle and he thinks that is why he will be able to play this week.

"I feel pretty good and I have been doing a lot of rehab all weekend. I had a little more time to rest and rehab and stay off my ankle and everything so I think it helped a lot," said Adams of having extra rest last week.

Freshman Darius Dewberry returned to the practice field for the first time in two weeks after straining his hamstring in the Mississippi State game. Dewberry is the co-number two sam linebacker with Brandon Miller behind starter Danny Verdun.

Freshman center Kevin Perez made his first appearance on the practice field since dislocating his elbow several weeks ago. Perez is still limited, but he may be able to resume contact later in the week.

Now the bad news, starting split end Demiko Goodman torn his ACL and is out for the season. Goodman tore the ACL when he collided with senior tight end Martrez Milner and a Kentucky defender on a pass playing in the Kentucky game.

"He got hurt in the second quarter, but he played in the second half with a lot of energy," Richt said of Goodman's injury. "It was a shock to us and it was a shock to him. His injury is a lot of like (Sean) Bailey's, so we'll just have to see, but I would say he has got a pretty good chance to play next year."

Sean Bailey's similar injury cost him the entire 2006 season. Goodman is not eligible for a medical redshirt according to coach Richt, so if he misses the 2007 season, he will only have one year of eligibility left.

Goodman's injury coupled with the injury to senior Mario Raley forces Mohamed Massaquoi back into a starting role and freshmen Kris Durham and Mike Moore into the slot receiver position.

Georgia only has two fully healthy receivers Durham and Kenneth Harris heading into the Auburn game according to junior flanker A.J. Bryant.

"Yeah they are doing pretty good, so don't jinx them," said Bryant jokingly. "I am glad they are doing ok and hopefully they will keep hanging in there."

Moore (knee), Massaquoi (hip flexor), Mikey Henderson (hamstring), and Bryant (groin/back) have all been battle injuries this season.

Bryant has been bothered by back and groin problems since fall camp and he has played through his injuries all season.

"I cannot practice that much and if I run a whole lot my back might start hurting or if run in excess my groin my start hurting," said Bryant.

Change of Kickers

Senior punter Gordon Ely-Kelso will handle the place kicking duties against Auburn this week. Ely-Kelso is the third kicker Georgia has used this season. Coach Richt informed him during the Kentucky game after junior Andy Bailey missed his third kick of the game, that he would make the next kick for Georgia.

"I am just going to try and enjoy it, but it is a lot of pressure, but it is a different kind of pressure because it has been such an issue recently. There is pressure in the sense that you want to do well, but there is also relief that I know I am the fourth best kicker out here so there is not too much pressure I guess," said Ely-Kelso jokingly of being named the kicker.

Ely-Kelso has not kicked in a game since he left Clarke Central high school over four years ago. Injured kicker Brandon Coutu has been helping Ely-Kelso prepare for the kicker duties. Coach Richt joked that Ely-Kelso does not kick the prettiest ball, but it goes through the uprights.

"I can't even remember far enough back to high school and I do not know if I kicked one that looked good back then, but I know a lot of them went through and hopefully know one will care what it looks like as long as it goes through the uprights."

Ely-Kelso connected on a 60-yard field goal in practice and feels he could kick one longer than that if necessary.

"I hit a 60-yarder in practice and I can kick it long and that has never been my problem it was more about accuracy," said Ely-Kelso of his range. "Range depends on the situation and if it is the end of the game I will kick it as far as 65 if I need to."

Redshirt sophomore punter Brian Mimbs will hold for Ely-Kelso. Mimbs has never played in a game at Georgia.

"I have been holding since this summer knowing that our holder Lee Jackson graduated last year and Kelso used to hold, but know that he has to kick it is time to step in and do as good a job as he has been doing all season," said Mimbs. "I have not stepped on the field since high school and to get on the field in a big time game is going to be an experience and I hope I can do my job and let Kelso take care of the rest."

Two Seniors to Start Against Auburn

Senior tight end Martrez Milner will start against Auburn at tight end following a strong four-catch performance against Kentucky. "As of right now, I am back with the ones and it feels great, but I am sure Tripp (Chandler) and I will share the snaps 50-50 like we did last week," said Milner.

Milner did not start against Kentucky and sophomore Tripp Chandler and Milner shared most of the tight end duties. Milner is Georgia's leading receiver this season with 21 catches for 302 yards and two touchdowns.

Senior defensive tackle Ray Gant is slated to start for the fourth time this season at defensive tackle and for the first time since the Mississippi State game. Gant shared a sack with defensive end Quentin Moses in the Kentucky game.

Southerland banged up

Georgia's leading scorer fullback Brannan Southerland suffered a neck injury during the Kentucky game, but he thinks he will be able to play Saturday.

"There is no doubt about it I will be fine I just need a couple of days off. My neck has some muscles irritated in the traps, but I will be fine by Saturday," said Southerland.

Obvious that a uga alum wrote that! My head hurts know.

I was thinking the same thing... He lost me at "tight guard".

First the good news, junior guard Chester Adams will start at tight guard at Auburn and he will also serve as the backup offensive tackle because senior Michael Turner will not be able to play.

Archived