We will know Saban's decision in the next 24 hours

SouthLink02

If Saban turns down 'bama, I might have to pay for a subscription to TiderInsider just to watch the meltdown.

Go ahead and waste your money.

At the end of the week, we're going to have a good coach... Saban or not. You on the other hand, will have Les Miles. :roflol:

Things could be worse. We could have a coach who is 0-2 vs. 'bama instead of 2-0. We could have a coach who is not 23-4 in his 1st 2 seasons at LSU (which is better than Saban). We could have a coach who 13-3 in conference play in his 2 years at LSU (which is better than Saban). We could have a coach who has not yet made it the the SEC Championship Game (Saban made it twice in 5 years). We could have a coach who has not yet made it to a BCS game (Saban made it twice in 5 years). We could have a coach who did not post the 1st back to back 10 win seasons in LSU school history (2 10 wins seasons under Saban in 5 years).

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things could be worse. We could have a coach who is 0-2 vs. 'bama instead of 2-0. We could have a coach who is not 23-4 in his 1st 2 seasons at LSU (which is better than Saban). We could have a coach who 13-3 in conference play in his 2 years at LSU (which is better than Saban). We could have a coach who has not yet made it the the SEC Championship Game (Saban made it twice in 5 years). We could have a coach who has not yet made it to a BCS game (Saban made it twice in 5 years). We could have a coach who did not post the 1st back to back 10 win seasons in LSU school history (2 10 wins seasons under Saban in 5 years).

Excactly, Miles has already done things Saban didn't during his 5 years at LSU.

Cmon now. Miles inherited ALOT more talent than Saban came in with. Talent alone at LSU is winning their games... which isn't a bad thing. One thing that sticks out on my mind is the game against Tenn. last year. One of the worst coached games I have ever seen in the SEC.

Cmon now. Miles inherited ALOT more talent than Saban came in with. Talent alone at LSU is winning their games... which isn't a bad thing. One thing that sticks out on my mind is the game against Tenn. last year. One of the worst coached games I have ever seen in the SEC.

Ask Ron Zook if you can win the SEC on talent alone :rolleyes: . Saban inherited more good players then you think particuraly on offense. (Rohan Davey, Josh Reed, etc)

Ask Ron Zook if you can win the SEC on talent alone :rolleyes: . Saban inherited more good players then you think particuraly on offense. (Rohan Davey, Josh Reed, etc)

I'm not asking Ron Zook. Zook still didn't inherit the talent that LSU had when Miles came in. Your talking about talent that came in a year away from an NC win.

I'm not saying Miles is an awful coach. I'm saying he is mediocre at best. He is not a right fit and I guarentee I could log onto an LSU board and get the majority vote to side with me. You guys have lost some games because of coaching alone. There is no reason why LSU couldn't have made it to the SECCG this year. While were on that subject, there is also no reason except for coaching that you guys left such a stink hole in Atlanta against Georgia last year.

No disrespect intended, but that's just a silly comment. Talent does not win games by itself. It's a very big piece of the puzzle, to be sure, but you can't just glibly attribute Miles's record to inherited talent. If you insist on denigrating Miles, then at least credit Bo Pelini, or Jimbo Fisher, or maybe the Golden Girls, but don't just say "he's winning on talent." There's some quality coaching happening in there somewhere.

Ask yourself this: two years ago, what did you think Les Miles's record would be today? Probably worse than it is. If that's true, you have to admit you've underestimated the man. I can hardly blame you b/c a lot of LSU fans certainly did, and many still do.

I'm not asking Ron Zook. Zook still didn't inherit the talent that LSU had when Miles came in. Your talking about talent that came in a year away from an NC win.

I'm not saying Miles is an awful coach. I'm saying he is mediocre at best. He is not a right fit and I guarentee I could log onto an LSU board and get the majority vote to side with me. You guys have lost some games because of coaching alone. There is no reason why LSU couldn't have made it to the SECCG this year. While were on that subject, there is also no reason except for coaching that you guys left such a stink hole in Atlanta against Georgia last year.

Actually their is a reason. Do you honestly believe that Tommy T. could have won all 4 of those top 10 teams ON THE ROAD? Ron Zook came into Florida with as much talent as Miles and couldn't do squat with it. Ypou and I both know you can't just go 11-2 in the SEC with talent alone.

Travis at BOL said that if they are going to have a presser today to announce Saban, we will know probably by 10am...at latest by noon.

BG.jpg

Still waiting...

No disrespect intended, but that's just a silly comment. Talent does not win games by itself. It's a very big piece of the puzzle, to be sure, but you can't just glibly attribute Miles's record to inherited talent. If you insist on denigrating Miles, then at least credit Bo Pelini, or Jimbo Fisher, or maybe the Golden Girls, but don't just say "he's winning on talent." There's some quality coaching happening in there somewhere.

Ask yourself this: two years ago, what did you think Les Miles's record would be today? Probably worse than it is. If that's true, you have to admit you've underestimated the man. I can hardly blame you b/c a lot of LSU fans certainly did, and many still do.

I disagree. In any game where coaching was critical to winning, LSU has fallen short. That will continue and only grow worse as the Les Miles era rolls on toward its inevitable conclusion.

Actually their is a reason. Do you honestly believe that Tommy T. could have won all 4 of those top 10 teams ON THE ROAD? Ron Zook came into Florida with as much talent as Miles and couldn't do squat with it. Ypou and I both know you can't just go 11-2 in the SEC with talent alone.

Maybe I was a little too general and not as specific with my "talent alone" comment. Let me clear it up for you guys:

Miles is mediocre at best. The talent at LSU is being misused. More games can be won if it is used more efficiently.

There... got it?

I disagree. In any game where coaching was critical to winning, LSU has fallen short. That will continue and only grow worse as the Les Miles era rolls on toward its inevitable conclusion.

So your saying when we beat the bammers in Tuscaloser when we were down 10-0 at the half had nothing to do with the coaching staff? He's also 4-2 against top 10 teams on the road. Looks to me as if he can win the big games.

Tennessee was the 3rd game of the year that had been cancelled/rescheduled. In case you forgot, there was the biggest natural disaster in the history of the United States in Hurricane Katrina, which was then followed a week or so later on the southwest coast of Louisiana by another hurricane, Rita, which was just as destructive as Katrina. That's right, LSU's 1st game was cancelled altogether because LSU's campus was used as a first response and triage center. Then the second game, a home game, was likewise cancelled and moved to Arizona State. Next was Tennessee, which was moved to Monday night. I'd say those are extenuating circumstances. I think it was more of an LSU team that was distracted and thinking that there was no way Tennessee could come back after being up by 21 at half. Anyhow, 1 conference loss during the regular season despite playing 9 consecutive weeks is pretty strong.

As for talent. Dinardo didn't leave the cupboard bare. Perhaps Miles inherited more than Saban but ask Ron Zook if talent alone wins. Urban Meyer is winning with Zooks talent! And, Miles has proved that he can recruit. Look at last year's recruiting class and this year's recruiting class, LSU is in the top 5. One thing that Miles has done that Saban didn't is that he wins the games he's supposed to win whereas Saban always had a game or two that he was supposed to win and he didn't.

So your saying when we beat the bammers in Tuscaloser when we were down 10-0 at the half had nothing to do with the coaching staff? He's also 4-2 against top 10 teams on the road. Looks to me as if he can win the big games.

Did you watch Alabama play at all last year?

Yeah, I sure am saying it. LSU had more talent than Alabama in 2005. Poor coaching was all that allowed that game to be close.

If you're happy with him, that's great. I hope ALL lsu fans adore him and that he stays there for many. many years.

I think it was more of an LSU team that was distracted and thinking that there was no way Tennessee could come back after being up by 21 at half.

Coaching.

I think it was more of an LSU team that was distracted and thinking that there was no way Tennessee could come back after being up by 21 at half.

Coaching.

No, it's called being metally and physically drained with all that happened at the time. Frustrating? yes, but I'm over it as we got revenge this year.

Coaching.

No, it's called being metally and physically drained with all that happened at the time. Frustrating? yes, but I'm over it as we got revenge this year.

I dont like the emotional lifeline you guys throw about that game and Katrina (and no, I'm not downplaying the event in anyway). In my opinion, Katrina was the MAIN reason why y'all dominated so early! Same reason why the Saints kicked some butt earlier in the year. It was coaching that lost the game! Wake up my friend.

Coaching.

I dont like the emotional lifeline you guys throw about that game and Katrina (and no, I'm not downplaying the event in anyway). In my opinion, Katrina was the MAIN reason why y'all dominated so early! Same reason why the Saints kicked some butt earlier in the year. It was coaching that lost the game! Wake up my friend.

Alright alright alright alright we were outcoached that game. It's not like Tubby has ever bee out coached cough UGA and Arkansas this year cough.

Let's see:

2005 (11-2)

Beat #15 Arizona State on road; beat #11 Florida at home; beat #16 Auburn at home; beat #4 Alabama on the road; beat #9 Miami in Peach Bowl

Lost to #10 Tennessee at home; lost to #13 Georgia in SECCG

5-2 against Top 20 teams and 2-1 against top 10 teams.

2006 (10-2)

Beat #8 Tennessee on the road; Beat #5 Arkansas on the road

Lost to #2 Auburn on the road (controversial game); lost to #5 Florida on the road

2-2 versus Top 10 teams and coached the 1st team to face 4 Top 10 teams on the road in college football history. Could be 11-2 after the Sugar Bowl if LSU beats another Top 20 team in #11 Notre Dame.

RECAP

7-2 versus Top 20 teams. 4-3 versus Top 10 teams. 2-2 versus Top 5 teams.

Coaching.

Alright alright alright alright we were outcoached that game. It's not like Tubby has ever bee out coached cough UGA and Arkansas this year cough.

Oh geeze man... thats not the point here. As I stated earlier, my point was that LSU's talent is being misused and does not play at the 100% efficiency mark.

If you want to ask my opinion about Tubby, that is a different subject. I'll simply say that this year's Auburn team overachieved and is close, but not the same, as Bama's ten win season.

Let's see:

2005 (11-2)

Beat #15 Arizona State on road; beat #11 Florida at home; beat #16 Auburn at home; beat #4 Alabama on the road; beat #9 Miami in Peach Bowl

2006 (10-2)

Lost to #2 Auburn on the road (controversial game); lost to #5 Florida on the road

2-2 versus Top 10 teams and coached the 1st team to face 4 Top 10 teams on the road in college football history. Could be 11-2 after the Sugar Bowl if LSU beats another Top 20 team in #11 Notre Dame.

RECAP

EllisHugh, you might as well give up. I've tried and tried and tried and they still believe Miles isn't even a quality coach.

Let's see:

2005 (11-2)

2006 (10-2)

RECAP

EllisHugh, you might as well give up. I've tried and tried and tried and they still believe Miles isn't even a quality coach.

If misused leads us to a BCS Bowl, then I hope he keeps misusing it. :lol: Honestly, I'm not saying Tubby is a bad coach, but every coach has their games where they're outcoached and you guys believe Miles does it on a regular basis when he isn't. As a matter of fact, he's yet to lose to an unranked team at LSU. Can many SEC coaches say that after their 1st 2 seasons?

As I stated earlier, my point was that LSU's talent is being misused and does not play at the 100% efficiency mark.

Riiight. Miles had LSU in the SEC Championship game in his 1st season and finished in the Top 10 (11-2) despite playing 9 straight as a result of the biggest natural disaster in U.S. history (Hurricane Katrina & Rita), which effected the State of Louisiana more than any other state in the union.

Miles now has LSU in a BCS game and #4 in the nation. With a win against Notre Dame, LSU will be deemed the 2nd best team or at worst, 3rd best team in the nation at year's end.

We can go round and round about Miles' ability as a coach, but to have 78% winning percentage against top 20 teams and a 84% winning percentage in 2 years is the mark of a better than average coach. In fact, he has the same amount of wins at Urban Meyer in his 2 years at Florida. The difference is, Meyer got some better breaks than Miles did...and that is how the ball bounces sometimes.

As I stated earlier, my point was that LSU's talent is being misused and does not play at the 100% efficiency mark.

Riiight. Miles had LSU in the SEC Championship game in his 1st season and finished in the Top 10 (11-2) despite playing 9 straight as a result of the biggest natural disaster in U.S. history (Hurricane Katrina & Rita), which effected the State of Louisiana more than any other state in the union.

Miles now has LSU in a BCS game and #4 in the nation. With a win against Notre Dame, LSU will be deemed the 2nd best team or at worst, 3rd best team in the nation at year's end.

We can go round and round about Miles' ability as a coach, but to have 78% winning percentage against top 20 teams and a 84% winning percentage in 2 years is the mark of a better than average coach. In fact, he has the same amount of wins at Urban Meyer in his 2 years at Florida. The difference is, Meyer got some better breaks than Miles did...and that is how the ball bounces sometimes.

Shows you the talent you guys have at LSU. I'm still convinced he is not a perfect fit given the fast athletic type of football over in Baton Rouge. You guys could probably have another National Title on your hands given the right mind at the headset. Also, lets not ignore Fisher in this argument. He has been a big factor in LSU's success.

Archived