Let them eat PORK!!

Donutboy

Congress packs pork into spending bill

By JAMES KUHNHENN and CHRIS ADAMS

Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - Congress wants to spend $3 million this year to introduce more young Americans to the game of golf. It wants to set aside $200,000 to subsidize a documentary movie about Kalahari Desert bushmen. It also wants to build a $50 million indoor rainforest in Iowa.

Congress packs pork into spending bill

But wait, there's MORE!!

The bill includes an eye-popping number of earmarks - upwards of 7,000 by one estimate, at a cost of several billion dollars. Other spending bills bring the grand total for the year to more than 10,000. In that long list are items big and small, from $100,000 for street furniture and sidewalks in Laverne, Ala., to $44 million for a bridge to Treasure Island in Florida - a plum for the Tampa Bay-area district of House Appropriations Chairman C.W. Bill Young.

But more than that, to a degree unseen since their 1995 takeover, the majority Republicans are publicly flaunting their power to use pork for explicitly partisan purposes.....

.......Lately, Republican critics such as Rep. Jeff Flake of Arizona are isolated voices when they criticize their own party for outdoing the Democrats in the lavishing of pork.

''Republicans ridiculed this forever, but now we're 'in' and we see how much fun it is,'' Flake said. ''There's no shame anymore.'' Among his favorites in the omnibus spending bill: $75,000 for a North Pole Transit System in Alaska, $200,000 for a program at Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and $325,000 for a swimming pool in Salinas, Calif.....

.....This is from the same party that, after winning the House of Representatives in 1994, pledged to reform how spending bills were written after five decades of Democratic rule. The 1994 GOP platform known as the ''Contract with America'' even proposed a presidential line-item veto to rein in what Republicans called ''wasteful pork-barrel spending.''.......

GOP bill stuffed with pork, Dems say partisan agenda is at work

It's as true today as when it was first uttered. Power corrupts and absolute [power corrupts absolutely. I'm sure we'll hear the Conservative apologists defend all of this pork. I can hardly wait!!

Donut.  Will you please explain your new picture in your sig?  Thanks.

Our recent indiscriminate bombings of Afghan children playing in fields because a terrorist suspect had been spotted in the area days earlier.

Our recent indiscriminate bombings of Afghan children playing in fields

Dang Donut. How are we in the military ever supposed to win this war if you keep revealing our tactics :rolleyes: Just for your information, we usually give the bad guys a 4 day heads up before we attack. Feel free to pass that on to your anti-America pinko friends.

I can assure you in all my 17 years of service to this great nation that I have never once killed a woman, child, cripple, or old person out of malice. I guess I wasn't paying attention during our "How to randomly target and kill civilians" training.

Maybe I should go ahead and cancel my order for that nice brand new pair of "Jack boots" I wanted for Christmas.

Donut.  Will you please explain your new picture in your sig?  Thanks.

Our recent indiscriminate bombings of Afghan children playing in fields because a terrorist suspect had been spotted in the area days earlier.

Give me a freakin' break!!! Have you been over there to see what is going on? No, you haven't. You only go by what you hear on CNN- the voice of the liberals. I can assure you that there is not indiscriminat bombing goin on. You need to educate yourself a litte about the rules of engagment and what all it takes to get authorization for a bombing mission before you make statements like that! Geez!!! :angry:

So, since you all did an end around around the actual topic, I assume that you don't have a problem with this government wasting your money? After all, the deficit hasn't hit a half trillion dolars yet. That's NEXT year after the energy bill gets passed with billions of more election year pork aded in. I'm catching on. If you don't want to discuss an issue, change it to something else. SMOOTH!!

what would you like for someone to reply, donut?

"wow...donut found yet another article no one cares to address" ??

its not like pork-barrel spending is new.

do i like it? not really.

what would you like for someone to reply, donut?

"wow...donut found yet another article no one cares to address" ??

its not like pork-barrel spending is new.

do i like it? not really.

It's not just this post I was referring to CT. I've noticed a definite trend where a topic that the conservatives don't want to be discussed seems to always end up being twisted to another subject. They debate just like the presidential candidates where a moderator can ask one question and after barely touching on it, the candidate ends up giving their stance on a political issue that wasn't even part of the question.

No Donut, it was your insensitive jab at the military that changed the topic. I hope you really don't believe that American troops would willingly target and kill innocent children. If so, I really pity you.

FWIW, to me that pic was very offensive. You have the right to say what you wish, that is the right those soldiers over there are fighting and dying to protect. However, you should exercise a little decorum when finding that perfect little pinko picture to post. You really crossed the line with me with that one.

No Donut, it was your insensitive jab at the military that changed the topic. I hope you really don't believe that American troops would willingly target and kill innocent children. If so, I really pity you.

FWIW, to me that pic was very offensive. You have the right to say what you wish, that is the right those soldiers over there are fighting and dying to protect. However, you should exercise a little decorum when finding that perfect little pinko picture to post. You really crossed the line with me with that one.

Still trying to change the subject TIS? I changed the picture, so now you want to discuss the actual topic?

I guess changing the pic is supposed to make it right then. Well, it's not. I'm not in much of a mood to listen or respond to your BS right now. I have a Christmas party to get ready for. It will be attended by many of my fellow "child killing" brothers and sisters in arms. When the time comes for the evening toast, I'll have you in mind. It's people like you that make what we do more worthwhile.

I guess changing the pic is supposed to make it right then. Well, it's not. I'm not in much of a mood to listen or respond to your BS right now. I have a Christmas party to get ready for. It will be attended by many of my fellow "child killing" brothers and sisters in arms. When the time comes for the evening toast, I'll have you in mind. It's people like you that make what we do more worthwhile.

Still don't want to discuss your Righteous Right spending your kids money? That's OK. Enjoy your party.

It's as true today as when it was first uttered. Power corrupts and absolute [power corrupts absolutely. I'm sure we'll hear the Conservative apologists defend all of this pork. I can hardly wait!!

whine whine whine, db.

do you want someone to defend it or not defend it...i can't tell.

if you want it defended, perhaps you should defend it yourself.

no one else seems to be biting.

whine whine whine, db.

do you want someone to defend it or not defend it...i can't tell.

if you want it defended, perhaps you should defend it yourself.

no one else seems to be biting.

So, I can assume that since it's a Republican congress and a Republican president, the massive debt being created by this adminsitration and it's numerous pork projects no longer bothers you "fiscal conservatives?"

So, I can assume that since it's a Republican congress and a Republican president, the massive debt being created by this adminsitration and it's numerous pork projects no longer bothers you "fiscal conservatives?"

Fiscal conservative here, ... not a Republican and definately not a Democrat. The party in power directs most of the spending projects however, the party in the minority is not without its own set of swine herders when it comes to divying up the federal pie. I'm none too pleased that deficit spending has come back in vogue but I'm also willing to give the current congress the benefit of the doubt post 9/11/01 what with our troops fighting in two far-flung locations.

Welcome back, Logger!! Good to see you back on the board.

It doesn't appear that donuthole is opposed to the spending, just to who is in charge of the spending. Its not going for Social(ist) programs, so it must be bad, seems to be his hidden agenda.

Have you ever considered moving to France, donuthole? There are lots of people who think like you over there, so you would be right at home.

It doesn't appear that donuthole is opposed to the spending, just to who is in charge of the spending.

You nailed it right on the head, brother!!

Pork barrel politics is and pretty much always has been a tool of both parties. According to Donit though, this is a tactic recently invented by the evil republicans.

Still don't want to discuss your Righteous Right spending your kids money? That's OK. Enjoy your party.

Give Donut a break. Everyone knows Pork is only a conservative phenomenon. Liberals have the ethics and morals to never spend tax payer’s money irresponsibly.

Sheesh...

Archived