Luther Davis is in the Bama fold!

BAMMERPERRY

Did you guys hear something? I think a gnat just flew across my screen.

Anyway, back to the original topic on this thread. Wow, all this talk now has me jonesing for some sushi AND Mexican.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loves the sushi. You can call me the SUSHINATOR!

I think China Palace has the best sushi in town to be honest, and it is cheap. I get used to go with the basic rolls mentioned above, but now I get extravagant with it. I order volcano roll, Kamakazi roll, and Rising sun roll. Volcano = spicy tuna inside, tuna crab yellow tail and masago on top lightly charred with a blow torch. Kamakazi is like spicy tuna with more tuna on top deep fried covered in spicy mayo. Rising sun has cream cheese and tuna i think and i get them to add eel to the top under the crunchy and masago and eel sause. I am hungry!

Steak and all the extras...gotta have the peppers and onions. And sour cream and guac on the side. Otherwise don't waste my time.

Hijack alert:

I'm usually a little show to catch on to things, so I'm just now getting into sushi. Had to be forced to try it, but now? About once a week I have a hankering for what my brother calls bait.

If there are any sushi afficionados here, I'd like some suggestions of things to try. I'm pretty big on eel. And I love some seaweed salad, too, which is available at most sushi bars.

Your suggestions?

Not cool. We were clearly talking about Mexican food. You could have saved the sushi talk for the next time. Now we have to come up with something else, and now I am craving the good sushi which burns holes in my wallet.

Galen, I'm with you. I'm no expert, but i love anything with eel. At the better places its not as chewy. I love the rock and rolls the best. The plum sauce at Surin is great on the rock and roll. If you get some cheap stuff, like publix or target or something its not as good. Plus, I'm a little hesitant to consume raw fish sitting in a display all day.

Steak and all the extras...gotta have the peppers and onions. And sour cream and guac on the side. Otherwise don't waste my time.

Hijack alert:

I'm usually a little show to catch on to things, so I'm just now getting into sushi. Had to be forced to try it, but now? About once a week I have a hankering for what my brother calls bait.

If there are any sushi afficionados here, I'd like some suggestions of things to try. I'm pretty big on eel. And I love some seaweed salad, too, which is available at most sushi bars.

Your suggestions?

I lived in Japan for 3 years. Even still, I don't consider myself an expert. I do like the tuna, though. The best tuna is maguro. Next best is toro. I also like hamachi, which is yellow tail. My favorite sushi restaurant up here is: http://www.sushiman-issaquah.com/ It's run by a former Sumo wrestler. (Oddly enough, I've never heard one person complain about the food.) Whoever said the sushi rolls are "training wheels sushi" doesn't know what they're talking about. Maki are the traditional rolls: tekka maki is tuna, kappa maki is with cucumber. Most restaurants make up their own signature combinations. All sushi is not created equal. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. If what you're eating is really cheap, there is an economical reason for that -- either the raw material (pun intended) is cheap or the chef isn't very skilled. We're kind of spoiled out west here because there are so many authentic Japanese restaurants to choose from. The key to enjoying sushi is mixing just the right amount of wasabi in the shoyu (soy sauce.) This is a trial & error thing. Also, make sure you eat a bit of the sliced ginger between tasting the different sushi pieces. It cleanses your palate. Enjoy. Kampai.

I love Fajitas, steak and chicken combos rock! I love the onions and the bell peppers, I like my onions a little crisp. Sour cream and gauc makes it all good, the best place in Hunstville for fajitas is Rosie's Cantina. I have never had sushi and none of my friends eat it so I need to find someone that will show me the ropes when it comes to bait.

Absolutely love Sushi. The best place in the Bamaham area is Sekisui in Vestavia. They have great seaweed salad. They have blue crab roll that is great. My wife loves the Spicey Tuna Roll there. I can't eat Tuna (weird allergy) but the salmon is good there. If you are in to the fried rolls, try the Hurricane Roll. Made with crawfish.

If ever in Los Angeles, try Hamasaku. They have one called the Scott Roll that is rockin'.

As for mexican, I love La Paz in Mountain Brook. Try the Tacos Arracheras (Griled Chicken with smoked bacon, sauteed peppers and onions and Monteray Jack).

Man! I'm hungry!

As for mexican, I love La Paz in Mountain Brook. Try the Tacos Arracheras (Griled Chicken with smoked bacon, sauteed peppers and onions and Monteray Jack).

Dude, don't do me like that. La Paz is worth the drive to the Ham anyday. I love all the options on the quesadillas especially the buffalo ones, and the cheese dip is rediculous. I order the big bowl and eat it all myself!

I love Fajitas, steak and chicken combos rock! I love the onions and the bell peppers, I like my onions a little crisp. Sour cream and gauc makes it all good, the best place in Hunstville for fajitas is Rosie's Cantina. I have never had sushi and none of my friends eat it so I need to find someone that will show me the ropes when it comes to bait.

Well, if we ever have another Huntsville-area AUNation get together I'll be glad to show you the sushi ropes.

If you like fajitas you should try Casa Blanca's Fajitas Cozumel. Unbeleevable.

Dude, don't do me like that. La Paz is worth the drive to the Ham anyday. I love all the options on the quesadillas especially the buffalo ones, and the cheese dip is rediculous. I order the big bowl and eat it all myself!

The queso does rock!

That new place in Homewood's SOHO square...Jinsei I think...it supposed to be awesome. I went Friday night and it was slammed, so I went somewhere else.

If ever in Los Angeles, try Hamasaku. They have one called the Scott Roll that is rockin'.

On the Food Network, Giada (the chick from everyday italian) did a spotlight on Hamasaku...I saw it yesterday. She's from LA and said that was her favorite place.

We wound up hitting Kyoto in Dothan Saturday after taking our 6 year old to see Night at the Museum. Tiger Roll, a Shrimp Tempura Roll and a cold Sapporo hit the spot.

to see Night at the Museum.

What did ya'll think of the movie? I was underwhelmed! The book was great.

It was pretty funny. Nothing spectacular but it was okay for the whole family. My boy is now 6 and for the last 3-4 years, I don't think I've seen any movie that wasn't animated. That was about as close to an adult movie (You know what I mean) as I've been in a while.

That new place in Homewood's SOHO square...Jinsei I think...it supposed to be awesome. I went Friday night and it was slammed, so I went somewhere else.

On the Food Network, Giada (the chick from everyday italian) did a spotlight on Hamasaku...I saw it yesterday. She's from LA and said that was her favorite place.

My wife's sister lives in Santa Monica and took us there last time we visited.

Ok, back me up on this BG, don't you wish that Giada cooked for you all the time, sometimes sans apron if you know what I mean.

Ok, back me up on this BG, don't you wish that Giada cooked for you all the time, sometimes sans apron if you know what I mean.

Giada is hot!

Archived