Ron Zook and Illinois recruiting

drewau02

I don't know if this belongs in the Rivals Forum but oh well. I was watching Pardon the Interruption this afternoon and the #1 topic on their discussion list today was alleged recruiting improprieties at the University of Illinois. Ron Zook just landed a top 5 class. This has to be a first for that program in years. The Illini have not been considered a legitimite football powerhouse since the days of Red Grange back in the 1920's. Sure, they've had some good seasons here and there, but that University is more known for their basketball than football. They've never really built anything consistent with their football program in years. Also, Ron Zook went out and got these recruits from places like the Washington D.C and Arlington Virginia area, one of the more fertile recruiting areas in America and also home to the likes of Michael Vick and Allen Iverson, and others areas that have never been Illinois recruiting strongholds. Well, some people smell rat. There's nothing legitimite or substantial to indict Zook or the University but ESPN ran with the story anyway probably because it's so far fetched that Illinois would bring in a top 5 class.

The PTI guys were fair and mentioned that Ron Zook recruited that Florida team that just won the national championship. Zook has always been a great recruiter. The fact that he's recruiting well at Illinois is not surprising to me. I'm just surprised that it's top 5, at Illinois of all places.

Zook recruited well when he was at UF. Meyer just won a NC with Zook's players.

Zook's problem was simple, he just couldn't coach.

From what I have read his pitch for Illini was "We suck, you're good, I can practically guarantee you immediate playing time and you will be in the NFL in three years." For a lot of the better players that worked.

Archived