New Orleans is #1

Study: Murder rate is even higher

Figures make N.O. the deadliest city

A new study by a Tulane University professor puts New Orleans' murder rate as the highest in the country.

The study estimates the city's 2006 murder rate at 96 per every 100,000 people.

Determining the exact per capita murder rate, the most popular measuring stick for overall violent crime, has largely been up for debate, falling victim to slippery estimates of the city's post-Katrina population.

The new study, by demographer Mark VanLandingham, aims to fix the main flaw in previous per capita murder estimates for 2006: It takes into account the large change in New Orleans' population during the year, with far fewer people in the city at the beginning of 2006 than at the end. That change raises the murder rate substantially.

For instance, using the highest static population estimate VanLandingham found in his research, 201,000, would produce a murder rate of about 80 per 100,000 people, still significantly lower than the new study's conclusion. Using the figure New Orleans Police Superintendent Warren Riley has offered -- 275,000, based on an estimate rather than research -- the murder rate would fall to just 58 per 100,000 people.

VanLandingham, a professor in the international health and development department of Tulane's School of Public Health, sought to bring hard fact to a debate between the Police Department and critics who say the it has downplayed the crime problem.

"It's part of this big policy debate: How bad is the murder rate?" VanLandingham said. "It was a question that could be answered. And I wanted to do it right, come up with a correct estimate."

The study also shows a steadily increasing murder rate since 2004. The murder rate for 2004 was 57 per every 100,000 people. In 2005, the year Katrina hit, the rate was 65 per every 100,000 people, according to VanLandingham's study.

According to his study, the 2006 murder rate was 68 percent higher than in 2004.

The 2006 murder rates of other cities were exponentially lower than New Orleans' rate. Houston had a rate of about 20 per 100,000 residents, according to statistics for the first half of 2006, the most recent released by the FBI. Detroit had a rate of 41; Baltimore, 42; St. Louis, 32; Philadelphia, 25; and Newark, N.J., 36.

LTFA

It's funny that Houston is mentioned. I wonder what Houston's rate would have been without Katrina and her "victims?"

This is awesome! I'm heading down to NO on Thursday. Just what I wanted to read. Now I'll know to carry my .45 and hand my wife the 9mm.

Don't need it all of time.

This is awesome! I'm heading down to NO on Thursday. Just what I wanted to read. Now I'll know to carry my .45 and hand my wife the 9mm.

Don't get caught with it.

Don't get caught without it.

Fixed.

Unarmed + New Orleans = national crime statistic

I believe Louisiana has reciprocal handgun permits based on you having one issued by the state of Alabama.

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#recip

If you have a Florida permit you can roll packing almost anywhere, for those of you who want to know.

Don't get caught without it.

Fixed.

Unarmed + New Orleans = national crime statistic

Thanks, I needed that.

I do what I can.

Now I'll know to carry my .45 and hand my wife the 9mm.

Ya'll don't roll this way all the time?

I always roll like that, although it's usually a 9 in my right, .45 in my other hand, call me trouble man, always in trouble man, worth a couple hundred grand, Chevy's all colors man...

What?

Archived